It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

Female Join date : 2013-04-06

Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added Empty
PostSubject: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:15 am

Hello there,

I decided to join this forum for guidence with my husky mix pup i will be adopting. She is 16 days old today so i have several weeks to wait yet, but i am trying to be prepared. I have all sorts of stuff for her including her crate, bed, bowls, toys, kongs, some collars, leash,brushes, and the list goes on!

So about her; Her name is Kaiya (K-Eye-Ah) and she is coming from a rescue who found her mom (only just pregnant) at a local dump with a male, that they are asuming is the dad. They are saying she is husky and he is lab. So as far as i am able to know my Girl is a husky/lab mix.

I have had a lab before but never a husky. I have been doing my research and find the breed very extreme by what i am reading (very effectionate, very escape artisty, very athletic, very stubborn/hard to train, very dangerous to small animals, very smart) now i dont know how much people exhadurate or not but i have 2x 1 year old cats, and i work full time.. however i have permission to bring the pup to work with me. I plan to do agility, obediance and maybe look into that thing where they pull you on a special bike (need more research! haha) and use clicker training/ possitive training.

anyhow any thoughts would be apreciated because i am getting really nervous about the breed.. but i am in love with my little girl already!
Here she is;;
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 2zez5v9
14 days old
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 18c95g
with mom- she is the light brown with the dark patch on her back and the white spot on her withers
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 34qmzya
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 33z75tx
Shes so cute <3

She was also the first to open her eyes last sat, the first to sit up and the most friendly/ curious.

UPDATE**
I have been too busy to update in a while but here are some more recent pictures.. let me know if anyone has any ideas on her breed from these, since a lot of you mentioned what the people told me may not be correct. Smile

Three weeks;;
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added Usab5
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added Nwx8it
She is the brownish with the white on her back of her neck and the black stripe <3
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added Mrvjf9
She is the one on the right

Four weeks;;
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 10rjsw8
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added Okpzk3
On the very left with the black stripe
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 2hnn7tu
With mom

Five weeks;;
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 4s1tsg
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 25oz67n
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 1z3bio4
On the right
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 5b8j9d
On the right
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added Z7edi
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 334m7ph

Five and half weeks;;
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added So07zp
Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added 9938

Last edited by dreamraiderr on Wed May 01, 2013 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Pictures)
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 11:41 am

Aww, congratulations and welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Kale and I welcome you from California Cool

I can give a bit of insight on the small animal issue. It is easier to train a small pup that small dogs and cats are pack members and thy they should be respected. I have a dachshund mix and two cats and I trust Kale with all of them alone. Larger dogs that are socialized with smaller dogs usually know that they are more fragile and will play more gently. Kale lays down and plays with Violet, my Doxie, rather than doing his normal husky rambunctious play with dogs his own size. It's all a matter of training and socialization with all types of dogs, cats, children, adults, strange noises, etc that create a well balanced pup.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 12:28 pm

Thankyou so much for that! thats what i thought(and planned!) but i still couldnt help stressing :p
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 pm

What kind of job do you have that lets you bring your dog to work? I'm jealous! ha ha! I keep thinking I'll sneak her in to my classes but then one of my students might be allergic to dogs or something ridiculous....
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't think any of those warnings about huskies are an exaggeration at all. Also know that since you are not getting a purebred husky you may get a pup that looks like a husky but acts like a lab or any other such combination of behavior traits. The only things I would constantly be on alert about are her behavior with cats (which has already been addressed) and her tendency to escape or to run away. Always keep her in a fence or on a lead until you know if she has lab recall or husky no-recall. Everything else will be fun to discover as she grows and you get to know each other! What a cute baby! Can't wait to watch her grow...post pics please! Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 5:22 pm

Those are very spot on descriptions in my opinion as well. I have a husky/shepard/lab mix and she is just a bundle of all breed traits. She follows me around like a lab, she is protective like a shepard, and she has the lack of husky recall. She is a wonder at the dog park, always listens. Now, as soon as she gets off leash, like realizes that she is disconnected from her leash (never on purpose), she gets that sparkle in her eyes and she is gone. She is also very vocal, but she doesn't howl like a husky, she has an actual bark. She also plays very, very rough.

So in my experience, you won't really know what breed your pup will take after until you have her lol. The best advice I have is to do as much research on all her possible breed mixes so you are prepared. And like Lisa said before, keep her on a leash until you know which breed she takes after in the recall training.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
darbear
Puppy
Puppy
darbear

Female Join date : 2013-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 8:43 pm

It sounds like you're getting a mix of both two great breeds! I do also have a cat, and my two boys know that Jim, my cat, is off limits to being chased and rough housed. I trust them both with him a lone at any time. At a young age you can very efficiently work with your pup and let them know the boundaries of playing/being around the cat as I'm sure your cat will let them know when they wanna be left alone. Even though my dogs are good with my cat, they have a huge prey drive with other small critters around the house as well as other cats. Out on walks they definitely would chase the cats we come across if I would let them do so.

Do you know yet at what age they're going to let you take her home?!
Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 9:19 pm

I will deffinately be posting a lot of pics lol. See is seeing the vet today so i am waiting tohear back in that too( just a check up). I work in the office at my parents mini mall :-P perks for suuure haha. Though when i was inschool our art teacher used to sneak her puppy in sometimes. Lol! And yeah I am very excited to get to know her, thougg i plan to work really hard on recall and hope it takes..my old dog was perfect on leash and in fenced area, if not...deaf deaf deaf -.-
Hoping the cat training will work too. They said 7 or 8 weeks depending on schedual
.they live far out of town and will drive her in when she comes into town so somewhere during the week between 7 and 8 weeks old. So long to wait yet! Haha. Also they are a rescue that is not for profit and they dont ask an adoption fee so they don't get shots so I wanna get a head start on that.
Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Got my results back from the Foster care. She has good ears eyes and mouth whem checked and normal heartbeat. Smile
Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Update Bump
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 4:37 pm

so cute and fluffy, love those floppy ears. i take my husky to work with me too... it's so much fun (except when he gets into mischief).
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptySat Apr 27, 2013 5:12 pm

She looks very cute! I love the name as well Smile

I'm jealous of some of you guys being able to take your dogs to work! I work in a lab so pets are a big "no no." :/
Back to top Go down
dreamraiderr
Newborn
Newborn
dreamraiderr

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added EmptyWed May 01, 2013 4:33 pm

added some more pics.. she is the only one to be venturing off down the stairs... lol... and also do you think her ears might stand???? that one ear stood while she was sleeping the whole time they said!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added   Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added Empty

Back to top Go down

Soon to be husky pup owner **UPDATED AGAIN** Pics Added

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1