It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Minced Raw Products

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

Minced Raw Products Empty
PostSubject: Minced Raw Products   Minced Raw Products EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi all

So I have been replacing the furkids midday meal with raw chicken and very impressed with the changes and both dogs much prefer it.

I have found a supplier of raw meats for dogs reasonably local, but the majority of the products are minced, as I understand the tearing of meat and crunching of the bones are an important part of the diet. I can also get chicken carcasses locally, would feeding a good portion of the diet minced be unwise?

Also how often do you include tripe into the diet or is there % guideline to work to? , below is what is available to me from the supplier mainly in 10 or 20 lbs packs:

Race Dog Beef, grade 1

Puppy and Sapling beef, Grade 2

Washed and cooked white Tripe

Raw Green Dirty Tripe

Chicken Mince

Horse Meat

Beef Livers

Beef Kidneys

Beef Hearts

Fish 10lb Frozen packs

Cooked Turkey and Ham
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Minced Raw Products   Minced Raw Products EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 2:36 pm

From what I read you can feed what is most convenient and available to you. Minced meat & bones is better than kibble.
You should check out Blue Ridge Beef if there is a supplier in your area--you can check here: http://www.blueridgebeef.com/distributors-raw-pet-food.html
BRB also sells large meaty bones that can be used as recreational chews/teeth cleaning. You just have to watch your pup doesn't break a tooth off.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

PostSubject: Re: Minced Raw Products   Minced Raw Products EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 4:40 pm

eddycaaa wrote:
From what I read you can feed what is most convenient and available to you. Minced meat & bones is better than kibble.
You should check out Blue Ridge Beef if there is a supplier in your area--you can check here: http://www.blueridgebeef.com/distributors-raw-pet-food.html
BRB also sells large meaty bones that can be used as recreational chews/teeth cleaning. You just have to watch your pup doesn't break a tooth off.

were in rep of Ireland so unlikely a supplier near us, however I do have a good relationship with our butcher who gives me as many marrow bones as I need. I usually give the twice a week.
Back to top Go down
jaysen_
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Minced Raw Products   Minced Raw Products EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Minced and/or ground meat is a little bit not ideal to feed. Dogs tend to just gulp this food down and they lose the benefit of muscle development (jaw, neck, shoulders) as well teeth cleaning from eating large chunks of meat.
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

PostSubject: Re: Minced Raw Products   Minced Raw Products EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 am

jaysen_ wrote:
Minced and/or ground meat is a little bit not ideal to feed. Dogs tend to just gulp this food down and they lose the benefit of muscle development (jaw, neck, shoulders) as well teeth cleaning from eating large chunks of meat.

I was thinking this, I guess it would almost have the convince of kibble but the nutritional values of raw.
Back to top Go down
jaysen_
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Minced Raw Products   Minced Raw Products EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 am

Aside from that, ground meat also has a bigger chance of increased bacteria because it has a bigger surface area.

This one's a good read:

http://rawfed.com/myths/ground.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minced Raw Products   Minced Raw Products Empty

Back to top Go down

Minced Raw Products

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1