It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need Advice for my sassy puppy!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caro13lan
Newborn
Newborn
Caro13lan

Female Join date : 2013-05-03

Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  Empty
PostSubject: Need Advice for my sassy puppy!    Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  EmptyFri May 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I just joined this forum today but I have been reading the advice since we got our cute little guy in December of 2012. However, I'm struggling a lot with our 6 month old pup, Kato's, (what seems like to me) separation anxiety. I will fully admit that while my boyfriend and I are at work, he is in his crate (I do come home at lunch because it's only a mile drive). I felt like he was getting to the point where he could maybe be left alone for a short period of time without being kenneled. I am currently training for a half marathon, so I thought my short run days would be the perfect opportunity to try it out. The first time I left him out was for 45 minutes and he did just fine. Did not destroy anything, but he did howl for quite a long time while watching me from the window. The next few times were not as successful. We recently moved into a new house & the previous owner's left a couch for us in front of a big bay window where Kato watches everything going on outside from. He has absolutely destroyed the entire back portion of this couch! I have been able to cover it with a blanket so he can still utilize it, but I would never want him to destroy my brand new furniture. If I come home from work and immediately leave for a run and kennel him, he's very confused because it deviates from his daily schedule. Otherwise, he does extremely well in his crate. Is he just not old enough to be left alone? He was never destructive with his toys until I started leaving him unattended for these short spurts after work.

The other reasons I believe he's having separation anxiety (only from me, not my boyfriend...which is bazaar) are as follows:

He scratches at the door as soon as I leave his sight. Even if it's just for 2 seconds to take out the recycling, or when I leave for work he scratches and howls by the garage door, although my boyfriend is home at the time.

He gets jealous when my boyfriend is giving me attention. For instance, cuddling watching a movie. Is this normal??

We recently had a short spurt of 80 degree weather (Wisconsin has had a very strange spring weather pattern thus far) so the coolest part of our house was the basement. I was home but had company (whom he was very comfortable with) but I sent him down in the basement with my boyfriend because he was panting uncontrollably in the main floor of our home. He immediately ran back up to the top step and waited by the door, whining, until I opened it up.

He is literally my shadow, which I haven't minded! I love the companionship. He is a great, very well trained dog but some of this is starting to drive me insane! I also think it's getting to my boyfriend that when we take him for walks together, he is more concerned with what I'm doing than what Tim is commanding him to do. Everything else I've read about separation anxiety generally revolves around kennels and them not being okay in there; this is not the case with Kato. So I'm really unsure. Maybe I just spoil him too much. Lo
oking for
any advice, please!

[img]Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  Kato711
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice for my sassy puppy!    Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  EmptyFri May 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Without going into too much detail, for starters though, giving in to him when he whined and scratches at the door or window is not going to allow you to accomplish your goal.

It sounds he has learned (has trained you) that when he wants you back the way to get you is whining and scratching on doors.

A more detailed strategy for you to accomplish your goal is gonna have to include some tough love from you and some desensitivity to him disagreements with you leaving him alone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Caro13lan
Newborn
Newborn
Caro13lan

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice for my sassy puppy!    Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:31 am

Do you have a good recommendation as to how to accomplish that without allowing him to destroy every one of my household doors? I'm open to any suggestions!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice for my sassy puppy!    Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  EmptyMon May 06, 2013 10:57 am

You may have to ignore him for a while and let the bf do all the work, from feeding him to taking him out to training him. This way he realizes that you aren't the only one in charge. Since its not a crate issue, you're going to have to desensitize him to you leaving. You can do this by taking the crate and expanding it to include the house. So you would start by leaving for short periods of time, while the bf works with him, giving him treats when he doesn't whine and scratch at the door. He can let you know when Kato has stopped the whining and scratching and then you can come back. Make him realize that not doing those things brings you back, doing them makes you stay away longer. Hope it helps!!!
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice for my sassy puppy!    Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:01 am

I've seen a clear plastic sheeting be used at the lower portions of doors to keep them from getting damaged maybe that would work? I'm honestly not sure where to find them at though?
Back to top Go down
Caro13lan
Newborn
Newborn
Caro13lan

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice for my sassy puppy!    Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  EmptyMon May 06, 2013 11:44 am

Thank you! It will be tough but it definitely has to be done. Very Happy

Appreciate the help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Advice for my sassy puppy!    Need Advice for my sassy puppy!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Need Advice for my sassy puppy!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1