It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to play frisbee

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

How to play frisbee Empty
PostSubject: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyMon May 20, 2013 9:17 pm

So koda likes to play fetch with a tennis ball.. He loves it!! And understands it! He will brin it back to me everytime in the house. And bring it close to me (usually is running to fast and passes me) when we are outside.. He isnt great at off i usually have to tug a little to get it back from him. So them i started working on him to catch the ball in the air, and he got it down.. Now does anyone know the next step to training him to play with frisbee? I have one for him and he will chase it around but doesnt try and catch it, just wait till it falls.. Anyone have a husky that plays frisbee got any tips?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyMon May 20, 2013 10:01 pm

I want to do this with Kay so i'll be watching this topic. Razz She LOVES playing fetch so i think she'd be good at it.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyMon May 20, 2013 10:04 pm

Ive read to get them used to the frisbee let them eat out of it like a dish.. But he isnt scared of it and likes playing with it, i just dont know what the next step is.. Mabe just toss it at him and let it hit him in the head a few times lol maybe he will get the picture lol haha
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyMon May 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Lol, someone told me that they just have to actually want to catch it to be able to do it. Maya will chase it but then freak out like it's going to hit her and Sophie will let it hit her since she isn't all that bright....I haven't tried it with Kay yet.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyTue May 21, 2013 12:52 am

My Petsmart trainer told me to get a dog to play frisbee you ought to rub a treat or PB on the frisbee. They might just lick the hell out of it but eventually get the point.

Too bad Meeka hates toys period.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptySun May 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Koda thought, "If I wait for the forward momentum to decrease the object should fall to the ground and then I can retrieve it at my leisure." Laughing I think you dog got sum smarts!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptySun May 26, 2013 5:54 pm

my malamute plays with a Frisbee. She will chase anything you throw and brings it back I didn't really train her. lol I am no help.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptySun May 26, 2013 6:17 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
my malamute plays with a Frisbee. She will chase anything you throw and brings it back I didn't really train her. lol I am no help.
You got a Malamute-Retriever?? Razz

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyMon May 27, 2013 11:33 am

No malamute border collie. :p. she herds dogs too.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyMon May 27, 2013 3:45 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
No malamute border collie. :p. she herds dogs too.

Lil off topic but, my gfs family has a sheepadoodle pup. He is like 3-4 months.. And he herds there 2 little shitzus and he also heards my gf when she tries to do yoga.. Its halrious!
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyMon May 27, 2013 8:46 pm

I use to have a lab that I did a few frisbee competitions with. The thing is that they need really good eye-mouth coordination to be able to catch is as it whizzes through the air. To build that, I worked on tossing smaller objects and having him catch it in the air. I would then hold up the frisbee out of reach and have him jump up to grab it (while it was still in my hand). (note: Don't do this with a puppy because it's bad for their hips) From there we worked our way to tossing it. The hard part of that is getting the dog to stand back a ways while it's being thrown. One of the other things they need to get used to is the feel of the frisbee in the mouth. It's shaped way different from a ball or stick, so catching it and carrying it properly takes some getting used to. Some dogs are crazy good at it and will jump up with all fours off the ground to catch a frisbee, while others just never get the hang of it - let it land and then retrieve it. Either way it's great fun and fantastic bonding experience.
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 2:28 pm

I know this post is a couple of months old but we really want to get Nova into catching frisbees, she loves playing fetch with her soft squeaky toys but she could care less about a ball, what is a good way to get them interested in playing fetch with other toys such as a frisbee? We were thinking of getting a soft frisbee and playing tug with it, she loves to play tug of war so I'm thinking thats maybe why she likes the squeaky toys over the ball. Anyone have suggestions, or experience with this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to play frisbee   How to play frisbee Empty

Back to top Go down

How to play frisbee

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1