It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rusty crate question...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

Female Join date : 2013-02-09

Rusty crate question... Empty
PostSubject: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:12 pm

I intend to buy the indestructible crate once Kiya gets older...but for now my mom is letting me borrow her old wire one. This crate has sat out in her garage and has gotten rusty. Here are some pictures. I get Kiya, on the 31st, and was wondering, if this rust is safe for her? My over protective side is screaming, no it's not, just suck it up and buy a new small one, then get the indestructible. What are your opinions or thoughts?

Rusty crate question... Image_zpsdfce9bfa

https://s1345.photobucket.com/user/Acthomas22/media/image_zps1cf97d76.jpg.html]Rusty crate question... Image_zps1cf97d76[/URL]

Last edited by Alicia22 on Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:17 pm

I personally wouldn't use it.

Why can't you just get the crate you are wanting and put a divider of some sort in it??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:21 pm

I am afraid she will be too small and get her head caught. The bars are 2 1/2 inches a part.
Back to top Go down
MayaDog
Newborn
Newborn
MayaDog

Male Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:30 pm

I also would personally not use it with a new puppy. If this was the second crate for when she gets a little bigger and you knew she wasn't going to chew the wires or be freaking out in the crate, then it may be different.

As Kelsey said above, i'd think about just getting the bigger one now and using the divider to limit the space she has and slowly expand the area as she grows. You mention that the bars are rather far apart, which is something that I have not seen on wire crates, what one are you looking to get? most I have seen are just an inch apart.

One thing I did learn is that puppies grow fast and they will grow out of their small crate quickly, so unless you really cant afford a bigger crate right now, I'd just go with the one for when she will be full grown now. I did the small crate when I got Maya and it was used for just under a month (before we gave up crating as she was about to outgrow it) and was lucky to sell it to a friend who got a puppy for near full price since it was still in such good shape.
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:32 pm

It is the pro select empire crate. It is steel
Back to top Go down
MayaDog
Newborn
Newborn
MayaDog

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Wow, thats a crazy crate. The question I would ask is why do you feel the need for such a strong crate? Huskies are strong dogs, but unless they are freaked out about being in the crate a standard wire crate should hold them fine. If they hate the crate enough that a standard wire crate will not hold them they will try to get out of anything and potentially hurt themselves.

I personally think if they cant be adjusted to a crate from a young age to where a standard crate can hold them (i.e. you really need a steel crate) that you need to find an alternative to the crate such as a small dog proof room to keep them in where they are less likely to get hurt trying to get out.

My best advise for you would be to not use the rusty crate and buy a normal wire crate for use now, and as you see how your girl does decide later what is the best option for a permanent crate once she is older.

Maya, HATES crates and when she was reintroduced to them at about 1yr old when she had a phase of paper destroying, in 1hr she knocked the front side (where the door is) of a wire crate out by bending and releasing the little mettle clips from sufficient pressure and bouncing around, but a few zip ties on the 3 edges on the ends and shes not getting out no matter how hard she tried (this is what I have to do at my sisters when she has to be crated). I hate crating her and am always afraid she will hurt herself (so I have now used an old plastic crate that used to belong to my mom's old dog which she is less likely to hurt herself with)
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 7:25 am

Balon's crate has some rust on it and I still use it, but not as much as what's in your picture. Balon's crate was brand new when I got him, but he peed and pooped in it so much we had to constantly take it outside and hose it off lol, so where the latches are there is some rust now. Guess someone didn't dry it well enough.

I would not use the one you have pictured, it's too much rust and probably not safe. Buy the midwest Icrate and secure it with zip ties if need be. I paid around $70 for the one I just bought for Loki on Amazon and its the 42 size. I think she'll be fine if you start out crating her. All 3 of my dogs (I have a 2 year old lab) are crated when we go out. The lab doesn't really need to be but Balon howls if she's not in it next to him lol.
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 7:42 am

Single door, or double door?
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 7:43 am

Jeremy- because I have read about multiple huskies breaking out due to anxiety. With these dogs being escape artists, all day I would worry about if she was safe, or if she has broken out and chewing on something like electrical cords
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 8:36 am

My personal preference or recommendation for a crate would be to get one made by General cage. Our first was bought 1990ish and has been used for dogs, goats and chickens and currently is Mayas' upstairs bedtime crate. Mayas' downstairs crate is a top paw from petsmart and it is not even close to the quality of General cage.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I think the crate your looking at is over kill.. I got a $60 crate of ebay.. And when i got it one bar was bent a little from shipping so they gave me $15 back so i got a crate for $45 and its perfect for koda..
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 5:31 pm

I got one of those avikennels...you don't hear of huskies breaking out of them (its usually the wire crates). Also, I like them better because they're darker on the inside so they're more denlike. My girl loves her crate, she will put herself to bed at night if she gets tired before we do.
Back to top Go down
MayaDog
Newborn
Newborn
MayaDog

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Alicia, all I can say is get you puppy, try her out in a wire crate as a puppy and then you will know if you have one of those huskies who will need the super strong crate when they are older. and most of the cases that need something stronger just need some reinforcement on the parts where the crate folds together. I understand worrying about the pup, but breaking out of the crate is not something you should worry about until after your pup has show they do not like the crate and want out when your not home.

What I can say is although the breed in general is knows for separation anxiety and trying to get loose, this does not mean every husky will try to break out of their crate. You see alot of posts (on this forum and others) about the ones that do break out and such, as they are the ones who need help trying to figure out what to do/try with their pups, but many huskies adjust to the crate in a few days or less and love them (not many people come to post about how grate there dog adjusted to crate training). I have a friend with a husky that actually tries to break into the crate if the door is closed as it is its favorite place (he once left the door open when he left with a camera rolling and in 7hrs the dog didn't leave the crate because that's his spot and where he goes when home alone)
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks everyone. Jeremy, that is true, very rarely does one post about a pup not breaking out of a crate. It is just all of the comments on the forum needing help with an escape artist, makes me over protective. I went out and bought a west mountain Icrate, this afternoon, and I couldn't find general crate anywhere up here Sad . I got the double doors, and it is a 42", with a divider. I appreciate all of the responses and help! Thanks again Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rusty crate question...   Rusty crate question... Empty

Back to top Go down

Rusty crate question...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1