It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

The Desert Pack - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Happy Gotcha Day, Sasha! Hope that old fart gives you a good treat (but NOT his fingers Razz )
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 3:18 pm

After 5yrs she has to calm down right!?!?! Happy Drive Al to drink day Sasha!

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Silly dog day!

We've got some heavy winds blowing outside - 30 gusting to40+ - and Sasha doesn't want to go out and the other two don't want to come in! Too bad there's no rain with this wind, that'd bring Avalanche in in a heartbeat!

Since everyone has commented on how much their dogs like squeaky toys I figured I'd buy one from the grocer while I was in town. Sasha ignores it completely, Avalanche ignores it completely, and - you guessed it - Sky ignores it. I've tossed it to see if that would get their attention - nope. I've squeezed it to make it squeak - Avalanche cocks his head at it but 'not interested', Sasha looks at it as does Sky ... but no one wants to play with it ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Don't ya just hate it when you spend good money on a toy and they ignore it! I'm still reeling from 2 split antlers that they half-heartedly chewed for half a day and that was it. They were NOT cheap!!!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2017 11:59 pm

I don't know how I missed Sasha's Gotcha Day...so Happy belated Gotcha Day!
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Silly puppies! I seem to always have one dog or another under my chair.
Avalanche hears "Watch it ..." and he moves. Sky's a little slower but a foot coming down beside her gets her to move. Sasha normally doesn't move, so I have to step over her; not sure whether she moved her head or I just mis-stepped but when I got up a few minutes ago and went to step over her I came down on her ear --- OUCH!!
She yelped and moved, the main reason I'm writing this is that she didn't try to bite the thing that hurt her ... and of course, where is she now? Same place, right under foot!

Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 am

LOL Al, well, that is certainly progress. She learns YAY! Glad all is good with your pack Smile
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyMon May 01, 2017 12:27 pm

Dang dog has got me confused.

Both vets thought Sasha was 2-3 years old when I brought her home - that would make her about 7-8 now.  There are times when she acts more like 12-14 today being one of those days.

She sleeps in the corner - on tile - at the head of the couch where I sleep.  She woke me up last night with a sharp piercing whine<?>.  Talked to her a bit, no further whines and we both<?> went back to sleep.

Woke up this morning and she's normally standing beside the couch - "Good Morning, it's time to get up!" - but not this morning, curled up tight in the corner.  When she got up she cried but I couldn't see why - she was behind the arm of the couch - kinda limped out of the corner with an occasional whimper as she brought her right foot down.  Add to that her head was cocked off to her right.  Kinda like I feel when I 'sleep wrong'.

She and Sky got into a tussle last evening - first in a month or so - so I'm wondering she pulled something but as the morning has gone along she's moving easier just not very "alert", wants to just lay under my chair, of course.

She's on a glucosamine 'treat' every day since I've felt like she acting older for the last couple of years.

I've got four tires in the back of my Jeep or I'd be inclined to run her up to the vet to let Mary take a look at her ... and on that note I have to call Firestone to see about getting those tires put on.

Sasha_pain

Last edited by aljones on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyMon May 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Kenzi is around 8 but there are days where her arthritis flairs up (often with weather changes or a change in routine like hard hike or rougher than normal play) and you would swear she was 20. Doesn't want to get up in the morning and is grumpy acting. She will lay too long and then will limp out of stiffness. She will sit up and just give me this look like "it's hell to get old". She's usually over it in a day or two with rest or if the weather gets itself figured out. All of mine are on Glucosamine as well. She's actually on that and fish oil w/ vitamin E. If I know a flair is coming she will also get an aspirin dose.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyMon May 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Al, Mishka was doing that whine/whimper when getting up just a little while back when she was having all her UTI issues. While I didn't really connect it with her uti, I wondered afterwards if her kidneys or something were hurting. Her and Kohdi play hard though too so like Sasha, maybe she had pulled something. Mishka doesn't do it anymore but I thought I'd mention it in case Sasha might be having a uti and not showing symptoms that are obvious. From what I learned, often UTI's can go unnoticed as the dog may not show signs.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyTue May 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Any updates on Sasha?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyTue May 02, 2017 6:16 pm

I was watching her last night / this morning.  She played with Avalanche for a bit last night but she gives up quickly normally.  Today everything appears as normal.
My guess is that she / Sky bent something that shouldn't have been bent.

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Most of my follow up was in the "pool" thread but I don't know about these dogs.

First, Sasha's had an open sore beside the pressure callous on her right front leg, I can't convince her that a pad (and I have several that none use!) would be more comfortable than the floor - "But dad, the tile's cooler!"  Alright, I get that.
Didn't like the looks of that sore so we went up to see Dr Mary.  ¾ of the way through a 'cillin regimen and it's looking a lot better.  (I thought I had done a write up on the sore, but I can't find it ...)

Sky's been on my list for the last few days and as a result she's been spending a lot of time on lead in the house or on the lead off the front porch.  If I tie her to me she just lays down beside the chair ... If I let her roam then she counter surfs / pisses in the kitchen ... getting tired that!  So if I see her counter surf she goes out front; if I see a puddle from her she goes outside - and it isn't that I don't know she's there when she scratches to come in, it's that I've gotten frustrated enough that it comes out as a "that's too friggin bad!" attitude from me.

Last night it was bed time and she normally goes into her crate with no problem - so, of course, she didn't want to go in the crate or outside.  With a little guidance she went into her crate (not too much, she knew that that's where she was going to go, one way or another) so this morning I open the crate, she comes out, stretches and goes back into her crate.  I've got a bag of cows feet in my Jeep and if she'd go outside she'd get one and I'll give Sasha one when she goes out this afternoon - - Avalanche will get his when he decides to go out, we've had some real good thunder storms go through and he's scared to death of them, so he's not interested in going out either!

In the meantime - where's my brandy bottle?????

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 1:09 am

Now I'm getting concerned, we're having a repeat of May 1st but it's been most of the day today.

We took a nap about midday and I was awakened to Sasha whining/whimpering.  Again when she got up and came out of her corner it was like she is shaky and again she's holding her head to the right.  Her neck muscles are tight - real tight.  

I'm pretty well broke after the vet visit earlier this month and then buying pump/pressure tank for the house so a vet visit isn't practical financially.  I suppose Mary would let me write a check for them to hold but I really hate doing that - we'll see how tomorrow goes then I may give her a ring.

The symptoms presented don't fit a stroke nor geriatric vestibular disease (nor anything else I can find)

Finished off the medicine for the sore on her leg today and that's looking better ...

Sasha_pain

Last edited by aljones on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 am

Kenzi will stiff up pretty hard when weather fronts are coming in. We are due for a cold front to come in Sunday. Not that it will be that cold. She will grunt and groan and hobble around like she's been beat up but it's arthritis. I give her asprin and massage her then take her for a walk and she will shake the rust loose and get better. It doesn't happen all the time. Usually with weather patterns.

Have you considered degenerative disc disease? Not sure what other symptoms she might have. It will cause muscle spasms that could make her neck tight.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Everything I've looked at suggests that it shouldn't "go away" though your comment makes sense and I wasn't thinking weather. This round started a couple of days ago (each session seems to last from 24-48 hours and then we're back to normal) - and we've been having some real rough weather go through - wind / rain / hail north of us - so it could simply be "old age" ("uncle Arthur")
Called my favourite vet (I have one who's much closer but he doesn't like Huskies) who said I should bring her in (80 miles one way) but since she's feeling better today, I told Mary that I'd bring her in on the next occurrence - so she can see it on the first day.

I broke my arm / wrist (more than) a few years ago when I was motorcycling and it doesn't bother me except when we get an extreme change in pressure - I haven't had any pain with that, but I'm not sure that I'd recognize the coincidence of my pain and hers - I'll have to keep that in a memory slot.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 12:35 pm

You may keep a journal of your weather pains and of her pains. Keep track of when they happen, the moon cycle, and the barometric pressure at the time as well. You may only hurt if it drops below 29 (when the fish are biting) but she might have issues if the pressure drops below 32.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 2:16 pm

I do but I do it here. I sometimes will "tag" a post, like I do with this one where it's "Sasha_pain". Now all I have to do is wait for Google to index us again and I'll be able to find them.

Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 20, 2017 10:18 pm

Al, Jenn mentioned degenerative disc. My Malamute had that. And like Sasha, it would last exactly 48hours, and he'd be fine again. During that time, walking was a bit slower, but not super noticeable, but walking up hill, and /or downhill, seemed to bother him tremendously. He also couldn't do things like jump up (like onto the bed for example) for obvious reasons. But it'd be for 48 hours exactly.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm once again into a repeat of the pain ... Sasha went to bed in the corner last night - early, so when I put Sky in her crate I left the door to Sasha's crate open but didn't make an issue out of her going into her crate.

Probably should have crated her as she was up and down all night long and every time she got up she'd emit a sharp loud yelp/whine. She shifted back and forth between her crate and the corner several times (neither of us got much sleep, I think).

Normally when I get up she'll come out of her corner/crate and get water - a lot of water - then it's time for food and outside. This morning she didn't come out till I rattled the cup in her food bowl, fed her and we went out back. Three steps on the back of the trailer - normally she takes them carefully but without a problem, this morning she was reluctant to go off the porch but finally did to "do her duty".

We're back inside, she's in her corner and I've called the vet and have an appt this afternoon.

I really do not like this ... hope Mary (vet) can determine a cause and some way to "fix" her.

Printed off the two previous issues to take with me. And will now print this one and get ready to go. Vet's about 1.5 hours away, appt is shortly after 1 and it's 11:00 now. Cutting it close!

[Sasha_pain]

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 4:07 pm

I don't remember Sasha's history but is it possible she has Lyme? That has a random arthritis thing that only lasts a day or two? Just throwing that out, personally, think the spine or hip disease may be more likely.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Hope they figure something out and it's more simple than expected. My old vet had a bad way of just shrugging some stuff off to arthritis but never wanting to actually look into it. Would just say if it gets too bad we can look into pain meds. Never what I wanted to hear. Hopefully yours is more willing to investigate. Especially as far as you are having to drive.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Of course when we get there, Sasha jumps out of the Jeep like everything's wonderful!  Mary did some fairly deep join examination and "didn't have anything go pop or snap"  (I seriously wish at time that she were more professional, but she's a country girl and comes across as one - even if she is a very good vet!)  At one point, she did something and Sasha expressed her opinion of "that", she pissed all over the floor!

Mary looked at the notes I took up, then examined and prescribed Previcox as needed and a different Glucosamine / MSM combination called Synovi G4 - along with the two major ingredients it has several "homeopathic style" drugs - tumeric, Boswellia, creatine and "a novel blend of anti-oxidents."

She did blood work to establish a baseline (Sasha wasn't impressed) and everything was fine, one liver enzyme was marginal high but not enough to be concerned about - unless it goes higher.

She then asked about doing an x-ray but also recommended against it for the time being.  The episodes where Sasha is really uncomfortable are far enough between ...

Since she's now doing great, of course, except for a minor limp ... it's a wait and see.

ETA:
@amymeme re Lyme, oddly we don't have ticks down here and she hasn't been out of the area for, let's say 5 years so I'm going to say I don't really think so. Also a quick glance at the symptoms - while some might be good, too many of them aren't. Wouldn't that have shown up in blood work or would it something Mary would have to have looked for?

Before I spend my hard earned money on the Synovi G4 has anyone else used it. I've never heard of Boswellia Serrata? I just received a bag of glucosomine with MSM which would go on the shelf if I switch to the Synovi G4.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 pm

The Lyme would only show up if she food a specific Lynne test. In dogs, Lyme disease can be any where from asymptomatic to a brief monoarthritis to very rarely kidney failure. I don't know where Sasha came from or where she's been so just a thought.

Hope she's gets better.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Oh. The browellia. I think huskyluv used or used that. If not her then someone else in long thread about arthritis and supplements. At least I think it was this thread.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t10510-dakota-s-having-trouble-standing-arthritis?highlight=Dakota+can+t+walk
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Desert Pack   The Desert Pack - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Desert Pack

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 37Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 37  Next