It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are "Treats"?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

What are "Treats"? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am

100% agreed Kelsey... I'm really hoping it's just a matter of people being unsure of what the +/- buttons are for, and not that they know what it is for, and just continue to do it anyway...
Back to top Go down
myndsplyntur
Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Ok I must be completely blind, I don't see any +/- buttons?
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:36 pm

I've removed the ability for "newer" members to "treat" as of yesterday. For the time being I simply placed a post count on it. When you reach X posts you can treat.

This current "solution" is not what we want but it is a measure we put in place for the time being until we could figure out a better one Wink. It shouldn't take long and we are currently discussing possible alternatives.

I hadn't announced it yet as the staff is discussing how we want to handle it and make it fair, less painful, and less chance at mistakes for everyone.

I apologize.

We will update you all as soon as we have a resolution Smile Smile Smile

~Chris~

Puppy
Puppy
myndsplyntur

Female Join date : 2009-11-11

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Oh cool, no worries! I read the original post over and over and was like... I'm going crazy, there is NO +/- on my screen! So thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy! hahaha!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Thanks for explanation Chri,s a suggestion on the +/- would be possibley to make them buttons more like the multi quote, quote, edit rather then just the litle things on the side.
As far I am concerned it was not a problem but lots said they were in a problem area for phones. Now that does not fix all of your issues or should I say the issues since they do not belong to you but to other. Keep on thinking adn waiting for them back. I like that we can see the treats still but I always did wonder what "that " person did wrong to get where they were.
Hopefully the resolution will work.

eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:58 am

How are treats being handling now? Just wondering what the outcome was.
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

Female Join date : 2013-03-17

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:28 pm

I am interested, too! I can't see the button for treats so I am assuming I can't use them yet (I've only posted 16 times at the time of writing this.)

I've been wanting to give treats out for helpful posts but I can't yet! Sad I'm pretty sad about that but I guess eventually if I talk enough, I'll be able to. Wink

Treats are a great way for keeping people engaged, though. An idea might be to take away "taking away a treat". This makes people thing harder and longer if they want to actually give a treat, and it keeps treats a positive way of interacting with the community. (Hence why FB only has a "Like" button, and not a "Dislike" button as well!)

Smile
Back to top Go down
gocavs627
Puppy
Puppy
gocavs627

Female Join date : 2012-10-18

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:44 am

I agree with Chelsi. As a new-ish member, I find a lot of very helpful advice here and it would be nice to give a treat as thanks. I agree that maybe you should disable the ability to take away a treat. It makes more sense to me than taking it away entirely from the group who could probably utilize it as it was intended. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:46 am

Thank you for your input Smile if anyone else has any other thoughts... we as a team would really like to hear what our small community thinks Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 am

While posts may be helpful to you, that doesn't mean they warrant a treat in my opinion.. Especially when you are new and almost all posts will be helpful you. I have only treated maybe three times. I treat when something is very educational to me, not just helpful to me. While something in context may seem helpful, that doesn't mean it is factual.

Something to keep in mind.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
While posts may be helpful to you, that doesn't mean they warrant a treat in my opinion.. Especially when you are new and almost all posts will be helpful you. I have only treated maybe three times. I treat when something is very educational to me, not just helpful to me. While something in context may seem helpful, that doesn't mean it is factual.

Interesting advice. In this case, it almost seems like the post requirement makes sense, because as people get more and more advice, they can start to weed out what kind of things are helpful and deserve a sincere thank you, and which things warrant a treat. When people make their first post, especially if they're coming here with a specific problem, I don't know if they've read over the forum rules and what a treat is, etc.

At the same time, I feel for new members who can't use the treat button, and it feels sort of discriminatory..I've treated rarely as well, but I think if I was blocked from using them when I joined, I wouldn't have felt as welcome here. What a predicament indeed.
Perhaps a link to "hello and welcome" and "what are treats" in the welcome PM would help direct people to those threads before getting started.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 am

I agree as well. While I feel like the post limit has definitely helped with the random treat issue, I understand being upset about not being about to treat like everyone else. What a predicament bahah!! I don't think I would necessarily feel unwelcomed, but I would be a little bumbed out. A PM like that would be fantastic I think!!

At the same time though, experience I think is needed before you REALLY get it figured out what does and doesn't deserve a treat. I know in the beginning I treated for ridiculous things, but I always fixed my treat issue. It's just a complicated issue. A PM explaining that you have to have a certain number of posts before you can treat and then what a treat is MAY help. Not completely sure what the protocol is at this point though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:23 am

I wouldn't consider myself a new member, yet I can't use the treats now for some reason - not that I've ever really used them before heavily...What's the definition of a new member?
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 am

Maybe disabling the threats all together for the mobile side? It seems that's where a lot of the issues come from because the buttons are so small and hard to see. You can always go back and treat someone for good info when you get on a computer.

Personally, I rarely treat. I didn't even use it when I first joined the forum because I was still learning and as stated, everything was helpful. If I had used it, I would've treated everything. I feel that it really should be used sparringly. Its not a bad thing, but I've had mods on other forums use a similar option as a way of agreeing with each other against another mod and that's obviously not what its for.
Back to top Go down
olott707
Teenager
Teenager
olott707

Female Join date : 2013-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 am

i received a negative treat for saying "thank you" - so i completely understand why there is a limitation now.

but i also feel there are people who are not NEW that have abused the treats as well.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 am

Quote :
How are treats being handling now? Just wondering what the outcome was.

We are still discussing it. Albeit slowly. It isn't something we are taking lightly as we value the treat system. It however is a big change and something that warrants a lot of time.

Quote :
Chri,s a suggestion on the +/- would be possibley to make them buttons more like the multi quote, quote, edit rather then just the litle things on the side.

That could be done and is something we have/are considering.

Quote :
Treats are a great way for keeping people engaged, though. An idea might be to take away "taking away a treat". This makes people thing harder and longer if they want to actually give a treat, and it keeps treats a positive way of interacting with the community. (Hence why FB only has a "Like" button, and not a "Dislike" button as well!)

The Snag here, and somewhat the reason this all began, is we do not see nor do we want the treat system to be used as a "like" or "dislike" button. We want it to be used for thoughtful and constructive input from a user. Something that really helped you or you feel would help someone else with any obstacle in life or dog related.

We don't want it to be used when you simple agree with a point of view on a topic being properly debated or discussed.

There is also the notion that negative treating can be just as helpful in terms of pointing out someone who is clearly miss informed in a dangerous or ignorant way. 99% of the time the members here jump on these people and point it out, but considering not everyone reads all posts having a flag for bad information can be helpful. A negative treat can be just as educational. Why was that wrong information? Maybe I should research it?

That being said we are looking into that as a possible solution.

Quote :

Very well put and this type of thinking is EXACTLY what we ideally want for "treats".

Quote :
Perhaps a link to "hello and welcome" and "what are treats" in the welcome PM would help direct people to those threads before getting started.

Solid suggestion we really hadn't thought of yet. Thank you.

Have you all read the welcome PM you received when joining however? Being completely honest I didn't at all Razz .

Quote :
What's the definition of a new member?

And here is the sticky wicket.

Currently Number of posts dictate when you are allowed to treat.

I don't post as much as many of you on the forum or as frequently. So why should post count dictate this? I'm right with you. People who have joined 3 months ago have more total posts than I do.

There is an argument to be made about people who don't post as often but give solid advice, and this is where we tend to hit a wall about how we want to deal with it.

If it was cut and dry it would be easy for us, it however isn't. We are trying Wink.

Quote :
Maybe disabling the threats all together for the mobile side?

Actually this already kind of exists to a degree.

When this happens people aren't looking a the mobile version of the site but instead the "normal" one on their mobile devices. I do not believe the mobile version has an option to treat at all.

However the mobile version of the site is less than user friendly let us say. It's current format, though improved recently, is still less then ideal and it becomes easier to use the normal version.

I have little control over it right now. Sorry.

Keep the ideas coming and please continue to share your thoughts and views. This is something that effects us all and we want to make sure the system put into place is fun and acceptable to as many of you as possible. The last thing we want to do is grief our community.

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 am

Exactly, I don't post a lot, but when I do I try to make an impact/difference or offer a different view rather than just continuously posting to bump up my total. It's a tricky situation, but something that does need to be addressed.
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:40 am

I can completely understand where all of the issues are stemming from. My "day job" includes being a user experience designer for websites, so I am familiar with the issues.

As a new member that had read the treats explanation, this is how I used treats: I figured that the more treats someone had, the more knowledgable they were. I quickly found that despite having lots of treats, the advice I got from people with many treats didn't differ very much from the information that I received from people with even 1 treat. This made me begin to see treats only as a gloating factor. (This isn't to say this is how they should be used, that's just so the people in charge of treats know how a new user saw and used treats.)

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:

I completely understand what you're talking about here and I agree with it.

Subjectivity in the current treat system

However, I do believe there is a difficulty with the current "treat" system, and the way you explained it leads me to that. Let me explain. Right now, I have less experience with Huskies than most people on this forum. I don't have my puppy yet so I can't back up any information that I have with actual experience. Now, half of the people on this forum have at least one Husky and many have multiple--not only do they have lots of information, but they have experience to back it up. Lastly, there are many users that "stalk" the forums--many of which are preparing for a Husky much like I was (or am, I suppose).

So, what is "educational" to me is not educational to you. What is educational to you, may not be educational to another member of the forum who, let's say, has a career working with dogs or doing animal psychology.

The issue with this is that now, the correct way to use treats becomes completely subjective to each user. Subjectivity is OK for a "like" button, but it seems like treats want to work more like "awards".

What I feel like we're currently trying to do with treats, is to set a standard of "how helpful" something needs to be in order to "give a treat"... but, I truly don't feel as if that will stick. Every single person will still judge the helpfulness starting at their own knowledge level and I truly don't feel there is any way to standardize how helpful something is to a wide array of an audience with lots of different knowledge levels.

Quote :
The Snag here, and somewhat the reason this all began, is we do not see nor do we want the treat system to be used as a "like" or "dislike" button. We want it to be used for thoughtful and constructive input from a user. Something that really helped you or you feel would help someone else with any obstacle in life or dog related.

We don't want it to be used when you simple agree with a point of view on a topic being properly debated or discussed.

There is also the notion that negative treating can be just as helpful in terms of pointing out someone who is clearly miss informed in a dangerous or ignorant way. 99% of the time the members here jump on these people and point it out, but considering not everyone reads all posts having a flag for bad information can be helpful. A negative treat can be just as educational. Why was that wrong information? Maybe I should research it?

Again, I completely understand! I do believe however that even though some people may have used it as a "like" button (and I even saw some people just asking for treats, and receiving some!) that much of the issue stems from it being so subjective as explained above.

For example, someone wanted to give me a treat. Obviously, there's nothing I can tell most users of the forum that would be profound. Yet for a person new to Huskies or dog ownership, I may be able to give them information that they feel is ground breaking! We all know it's not, but the perception to them is that they are amazed.

Quote :

I did not read the welcome PM, and to be honest, I actually had no idea that I received one! In fact... I'm not even sure how to check my PM's! (Note: I did look for it after I realized this, and was able to find it relatively easily on the menu. It's just not in the same area as on most forums!)

We all know how much people love reading (sarcasm). Admitantly, the only reason I read the "treat" forum as well is because I became so frustrated I couldn't give them, that I wanted to find the answer.

Some Treat Ideas

- Require 3 members to "Give a Treat" to a post, in order for that member to receive an extra treat. This ensures that at least 3 members consider the post helpful. This helps to "average" the subjectivity based on knowledge.

- On hover (over the "this post has received ___ treats") show which members "gave a treat" to that post. That way, members can be addressed if the post should not have received treats.

- When a member clicks on "give a treat" for the very first time, take them to a new page which explains what treats are. They must press "I understand" at the bottom to continue.

- Members should be able to give treats at "Puppy" rank. (That is just my opinion, really.) People here just for a few questions probably will not go past 30 posts. People with at least 40 - 50, have at least been here for a little and understand the community a bit better.

- Perhaps consider an "Award" or "Like" system that may also award members in different ways. This will give users a different outlet than feeling they HAVE to give a treat to another member in order to show that they are appreciated.

There are just my thoughts! Please let me know if I misunderstood the treat system or anything, too. Smile

I hope this is at least a little helpful! I can't wait until I can reward people in some way (even if it's just a "Like") button! I've been itching to be able to show people I appreciate their time and help since I've been here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 am

Quote :
Exactly, I don't post a lot, but when I do I try to make an impact/difference or offer a different view rather than just continuously posting to bump up my total. It's a tricky situation, but something that does need to be addressed.

Agreed. We are looking into as many solutions as we can.

It however is a solid possibility it stays as is or some mutation of a post count.

There is something to be said about allowing someone X posts to understand the flow and community here before certain things "unlock" for them.

Quote :
As a new member that had read the treats explanation, this is how I used treats: I figured that the more treats someone had, the more knowledgable they were. I quickly found that despite having lots of treats, the advice I got from people with many treats didn't differ very much from the information that I received from people with even 1 treat. This made me begin to see treats only as a gloating factor. (This isn't to say this is how they should be used, that's just so the people in charge of treats know how a new user saw and used treats.)

I can see where you are coming from but the simple answer here is many of the "normal" questions that tend to be asked have been asked a multitude of times on this forum.

Instead of searching, like people should, they simply ask the question when they get here.

To that end many of the answers are canned or stock. After you've read 5 people say the same thing for X problem you tend to repeat it.

As a community we also tend to agree on a lot of the approaches used for our dogs. To that end a lot of the stuff said tends to also be canned answers.

If the system is perceived as "gloating" then we have failed and it truly is a "like" button. I don't believe it has gotten there yet.

Quote :
The issue with this is that now, the correct way to use treats becomes completely subjective to each user. Subjectivity is OK for a "like" button, but it seems like treats want to work more like "awards".

We understand subjectivity.

I routinely "treat" people who post information that is well written, constructive, and informative for the problem in the OP. Does it mean it was helpful for me? No. It does however mean I feel the information could help the OP, I agree 100% with what that user said, and that the information was presented in a concise and informative manner.

It doesn't always have to help ME for me to treat. If I have nothing to add I will treat the person for their information and helpfulness.

We are simply trying to reinforce the fact that the treat system is not a like button. We want people to think before you treat. Ask yourself was it helpful to you or someone else? Or are you just agreeing? There is a difference.

Quote :
Again, I completely understand! I do believe however that even though some people may have used it as a "like" button (and I even saw some people just asking for treats, and receiving some!) that much of the issue stems from it being so subjective as explained above.

It isn't simply some people. When we have an influx of members to the forum we notice right away people begin to use it as a FB like button. It isn't new.

In the past we have simply only had to bump this thread. You can see how old it actually is.

With the current influx of members however, and some of those who don't read forum announcements or rules, it has recently gotten out of hand. People treating for Thank yous, Or Wishing a dog a happy birthday, or that they get well soon, (I can link to examples of all this if I wanted to) is something that is currently being done and the reason this has been brought back up and is a hot topic right now.

Though not a "new" problem per say, the forum has grown exponentially over the past couple of months, and problems like this will arise and be addressed as they do due to the numbers.

Quote :
We all know how much people love reading (sarcasm). Admitantly, the only reason I read the "treat" forum as well is because I became so frustrated I couldn't give them, that I wanted to find the answer.

It may be frustrating, or unfair to you, but there is a community to think of and I don't believe it is wrong to request a waiting or lock out period at all in cases like this.

Treats are a reward given and taken away by the community. We love that you guys police yourself and this is one of the ways we feel you are allowed to. Rarely do the mods need to step into a conversation, and when we do it tends to be only so we can join in. That's HUGE for an online community and speaks to the maturity and knowledge base of our members.

Allowing people that freedom right from the start has not worked out. The ideals and direction of this board is very focused and direct at times. People get butt hurt and angry from time to time and don't use maturity or logic and instead lash out in anyway they can. This at times has been the treat button.

When a Long time members losses a treat because they asked you to get back on point, or asked you to quote your source something is VERY VERY VERY wrong and needs to be addressed (Again I can link to this if I wanted).

Asking people to wait and understand the community before they have this freedom I don't feel is unfair in anyway.

Quote :
Some Treat Ideas

I am going to mention this first as I feel it is important.

When this board was established it was decided to go with a very stable host. We have 99% uptime and with all my tinkering with the administration of the board it very rarely if ever goes down.

The price we pay for this is in mod-ability.

Though there are a lot of things possible with some PhP and SQL (or mySQL) knowledge if you don't know what you are doing and poking around you can bring a forum down to it's knees in seconds. I've done it.

Because of this we do not have the accessibility to mod the forum in a lot of ways we could if we hosted the forum else where. Our host has restrictions in what we can do at times to limit customer support on their part. Is this ideal? NO as we can't bring you everything you need or want. It is however practical. I'll be the first to admit it is frustrating at times, but the time we save not having to "babysit" the forum constantly is huge for us.

We could move the forum to another host and work on these things, alas time is a factor. I don't have the time I used to to play in code all day, or make a PhPBB forum like I did was I was 19. Having something semi automated and hard to break is a boon in those cases.

That being said never think for a second someone isn't trying to improve the forum in some manner. We strive to make this a more enjoyable place to be at every opportunity.

All that to say there are always going to be somethings we just can't do..... Yet.

Quote :
- Require 3 members to "Give a Treat" to a post, in order for that member to receive an extra treat. This ensures that at least 3 members consider the post helpful. This helps to "average" the subjectivity based on knowledge.

We can't make this modification with the current reputation system in place. Though I like the idea there is no way to modify it to achieve this goal.

Quote :
- On hover (over the "this post has received ___ treats") show which members "gave a treat" to that post. That way, members can be addressed if the post should not have received treats.

There is no way to display the field of who treated in a subject in the current build of the reputation system. Just Reputation count (rep_cnt) is saved. Not user.

^ If anyone has a basic understanding of DBs you'll notice how limiting that answer is for the admins. I'm not going to spell it out, nor should anyone else, but that is me saying a lot about our restrictions on this system.

Quote :
- When a member clicks on "give a treat" for the very first time, take them to a new page which explains what treats are. They must press "I understand" at the bottom to continue.

No redirect to a confirmation page can be done right now. Trust me... this is one I've been looking into for weeks and was something wanted when the forum went live.

Quote :
- Members should be able to give treats at "Puppy" rank. (That is just my opinion, really.) People here just for a few questions probably will not go past 30 posts. People with at least 40 - 50, have at least been here for a little and understand the community a bit better.

We have not decided what "rank" or post count we want this to be available yet or if we are even using this system.

That being said I've seen people who wanted into HOTM post nonsense ("hahahaha." End post) for 5 days to get enough posts to enter. Post count isn't exactly hard to achieve and if you want to treat you're more then welcome to join in on the hijack and get your count up for the time being.

unfair for new members? ABSOLUTELY. However like everything in life; because X amount of people can't use something properly everyone gets punished.

Quote :
- Perhaps consider an "Award" or "Like" system that may also award members in different ways. This will give users a different outlet than feeling they HAVE to give a treat to another member in order to show that they are appreciated.

I would have to look back into the award system that can be done with our host. I believe it is possible.

I'm not sure however that is the direction we really want to be going, but it is something we can think of. I think ideally we just want to make the treat system work for us Wink .

Quote :
There are just my thoughts! Please let me know if I misunderstood the treat system or anything, too.

I don't think you misunderstood anything and I value your input.

I'm just keeping you guys in the loop as to the thinking of the staff as well as some of the limitations and restrictions we have upon us. This isn't an easy change.

Keep them coming!!! It may feel like I shoot you guys down here and there but I appreciate the input. Some of your ideas just can't be done currently and I can't apologize enough for that.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Maybe have a treat mod, and when a treat is submitted require a brief explanation (have a character limit) of why it made a difference or what was educational or incorrect. It could be a pop up when someone presses the treat button, either plus or minus. In the pop up there could be a reminder to only submit if it was educational or incorrect to avoid a flood of requests. Only the mod(s) would see it and be able to approve or deny a request for a treat and the person who submitted the treat wouldn't ever know either way if it was approved or not. Maybe setup an inbox... The downside is that it creates work for someone and takes the automation out. When the mods logged in they would see pending treats and either approve or deny based on their judgement. That way you can filter out the 'likes' or 'agree.' I think most of us are trained to somewhat to click 'like' when we agree with something. I think i've only given one treat.

*edit - or possibly require everyone to do that for a period of time until they demonstrate they understand the system and can use it wisely.
Back to top Go down
Chelsii
Puppy
Puppy
Chelsii

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Ah, that is a predicament! So, the board is hosted on, say, the phpBB's hosting?

That does make it much more rough. Sad

I can make a website from scratch and maybe even a small blog in PHP, but I've not yet even tried to tackle a forum!

Well, I am glad that the ideas were at least a little helpful, perhaps! I understand the ability to not be able to do all of them, or them not being the ideal choice. They were just some ideas! Smile

I can't wait until treats get solidified.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:59 am

Quote :
Maybe have a treat mod, and when a treat is submitted require a brief explanation (have a character limit) of why it made a difference or what was educational or incorrect. It could be a pop up when someone presses the treat button, either plus or minus.

Yeah my bad on this.

When I said a redirrect couldn't happen I should have specified that that includes pop-ups.

Again we have selected stability over Mod-ability. Adding mods isn't something we can do easily or at all from time to time. This is one of those times. The reputation system is very restrictive.

Quote :
Ah, that is a predicament! So, the board is hosted on, say, the phpBB's hosting?

Not exactly.

The host that was selected has its own "Home brew" version of BB (BB2, BB3, and Inny). It is very limiting in some aspects and very strong in others. The reputation system is one of the weaker aspects of the home brew BB.

I'm not here to advertise for them, but for those who want to know they can PM me.

Quote :
I can make a website from scratch and maybe even a small blog in PHP, but I've not yet even tried to tackle a forum!

They truly aren't the most complex things out there to set up and run. The trouble stems from the fact that they need a Database to function. basic knowledge of how to operate and manipulate a DB is helpful during configuration or enhancements to the forum.

Most users don't have this however and rely on mods to achieve what they want to do with their forum but can not. Most mods are plug and play and easy to install.

That being said because they need to call information or write new tables and values directly from the forum's DB it can at times bring the whole thing down like a house of cards. Suddenly the forum is Dead in the water. Which is why you always always always have a test environment Wink.

In our case, our host limits what we can do, while offering enhancements in other ways (This comes in their own home brew versions of popular mods or functionality). The goal, I believe, being to reduce trouble shooting everyones forum so they can keep their staff low and focus more on enhancements.

Quote :
Well, I am glad that the ideas were at least a little helpful, perhaps! I understand the ability to not be able to do all of them, or them not being the ideal choice. They were just some ideas! Smile

I can't wait until treats get solidified.

Neither can we Wink

Every Idea is helpful. Everyone. We can't do them all right now and many we wish we could, sadly we are kind of hand cuffed in some aspects in this particular case that are less than ideal Sad.

~Chris~

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 am

Ah I see. Well I know you all will come up with a good solution. This is probably the best forum I've ever seen. Most of the time I just read and never join, but everyone here is so great and its so well run that I had to join the community. Smile good luck!
Back to top Go down
bricethrower
Newborn
Newborn
bricethrower

Female Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Is there a specific internet browser needed to give treats?
Or a requirement that must be met before you can give them?

I'm on google chrome and i can not see the + or -

The two posts above this looked like this

What are "Treats"? - Page 2 Untitl10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 6:18 pm

You need a certain number of posts before you can begin to see/use the Treat function Smile

What are "Treats"? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are "Treats"?   What are "Treats"? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are "Treats"?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next