It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 10:02 pm

I think designer breeds, while sometimes cute, is stupid. It's a mutt plain and simple. Mutts make great dogs but why would you pay $$$$ for one when there's tonnnns in shelters!?!??  I'm halfway expecting some person to join up and claim they bought from these people and exclaim how wonderful the huskitas are and that they are not a byb ect... I only say this b/c of some of thos old threads in the doghouse lol.

I'd like to see the integrity of both breeds (Akita and husky) kept intact.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Side note on their byb rant if they were breeding different dogs for a working purpose ( like Alaskan huskies) I wouldn't think it was as bad. But breeding them because they look cool and can make you lots of money just makes you greedy
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

Female Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 11:32 pm

The on,ly reason i'd breed an akita to a husky is to get a bigger wheel dog, as i want a sled team. Mind you I'd rather look in a shelter first, some excellent dogs there
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 11:43 pm

People will probably hate me for this but i see no problems with "designer breeds" do i want one no. But i have no problem withother people wanting them. Aslong as they still get tested im ok with it. I do think the prices are crazy though.
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 12:32 am

i dont have issues with them but the price tags are outrageous
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 10:41 am

Nothing wrong with a mutt, but for me there is everything wrong with paying more than the cost of shots and spaying/neutering for one. The mentality that people are getting with these designer breeds is nuts and those people with their huskitas are crazy. You're buying one dog but paying as if you were buying both the husky and akita purebreds separately. If this mutt fashion is going to take off then I have a St. Pittadorie, he's a really cool dog and ready for breeding if you have a female lab, st bernard, pittbull, or collie. Stud fee $600 and the pups are worth $3000.

Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 11:10 am

LOL i HAD A RUSSEL RETRIEVER, he was only 250 doll stud fee 44578798809 for a puppy with 6868 dolla deposit =D (sorry i had to)
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Maybe because I have the weekend on my mind but when I saw Huskita I was think it was a form of Margarita. lol! 
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 1:11 pm

I saw a cute akita/husky mix puppy on petfinder. I think that puppy was fixed and only $300. Petfinder is so awesome for finding pretty much anything you want. Smile
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Kinda off topic but I don't like designer breeds at all. If those dogs (like the pomski) can't breed naturally, then us "helping" them is horrendous. If its not natural, then its not OK. But that's just my opinion.

And I love how they charge so much for these mixes. And then claims to not be a backyard breeder.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 12:50 pm

What do you mean by not being able to breed naturally? What's the difference between a designer breed and a recognized pure breed in terms of breeding naturalness? Just curious, this is intriguing.

Within one generation there'd be no breeds whatsoever without humans, no? If we vanished so too would breeds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 12:54 pm

I'll be honest, I don't support designer breeds in the least. It infuriates me that people have been fooled by the illegitimate claims that doodles are hypoallergenic, when studies have shown that not all of them are. There are so many different ways that genes can line up and until there are truly responsible and ethical breeders who maintain and watch lines, run genetic tests and test EVERY dog to determine if it is in fact hypoallergenic.

I'm going to sound like an ass when I say this - but I think the majority of allergies are psychosomatic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Pomskis have to be bred using artificial insemination, same with some (not all) mini goldendoodles. Probably Cordanes too, not sure. A large and a small dog don't pop out a medium dog, they pop out a whole bunch of weird puppies with mismatched organs.
As far as my knowledge goes on the matter.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Oh wow, so actual mechanical inability to breed? Yeah, that's just creepy and wrong.

Doesnt the same thing happen happen in Corgis and some Bulldogs??
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 3:09 pm

What's the 'ski' in pomski?
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 5:36 pm

Hmm, not sure about corgis and bulldog.
The 'ski' is husky Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 6:03 pm

Whoa, a husky/pomeranian mix?? Yikes.

Many if not not most/all Corgis can't actually breed normally because their bodies literally can't fit together.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Weird! The more you know.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Quote :
Many if not not most/all Corgis can't actually breed normally because their bodies literally can't fit together.
Same for bulldogs. If all humans disappeared off the face of the Earth, they'd die off too. Dogs that have to be helped along in breeding just doesn't sound right to me. Its like when dog fighters force a bitch to breed...so disheartening.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Yeah, it's super weird to me too and ethically extremely questionable.  I mean, there is human intentionality to all dog breeds...that's the whole point of a breed, it's a human creation (in most cases for a specific purpose of work but in many cases this isn't the case-only cuteness matters)...but breeding to a point of dysfunctionality as an animal is just strange.  

All of our biases aside, one of the things I appreciate about the Siberian Husky breed is its deliberate working functionality, and this is even further reinforced in the show ring side of things for the breed because there are no superficial aesthetic standards that are mandatory (such as coat color and eye color).  How they look on this level is almost an afterthought and of course determined by fads that come and go in the breed. Yes, they happen to be beautiful and more "dog like" (as in like a wolk or jackal, part of nature's blueprint of specific functionality) but it is not a breed that you can only revel in its looks.  There is a deliberate working function to their body and their adaptations through time (almond eyes, furry ears, furry feet...).  

It's not hard to notice with designer breeds that it is simply all about the looks in most cases, especially the newer doodle/mini _________ era of designer breeds.  Somebody mentioned above the Alaskan Husky which on some level is a designer breed, but even if so, one whose purpose is functionality in the working world.  They don't exist because they're cute or trendy.

I facetiously just wonder if many designer breeds began by a simple "hey, wouldn't it be cool/adorable if we crossed......"  

Ahh, I could discuss this all day.

Last edited by seattlesibe on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Emily.Laiche
Puppy
Puppy
Emily.Laiche

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 11:14 pm

husky, im sorry but it is XD
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 11:41 pm

I don't think Alaskan huskies are like designer breeds at all, nor do I consider good old fashioned shelter mutts designer breeds. Just because, as you said, they're bred from the thought "hey wouldn't it be cute/funny/profitable/etc if..." I love a good mutt, just as much as I love my purebred sibe. I hate designer breeds though..
On another note..but I'm typing and this just happened..I offered a lamb lung sample to some lady just now..And she was like, "no, my dog is vegetarian" Evil or Very Mad And walked out happily with freeze dried carrot, homemade diet *PRE*mix, and dental chews...AGGGH. /rant
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:01 am

Well if at the very basic level a designer breed is taking two breeds and crossing them to create something new and different, then an Alaskan Husky is in a way a designer breed, as opposed to it just being a mutt, in the sense of "oops, our two dogs mated and now we have this mutt." Is an Alaskan Husky different in nature than a Pomsky or a doodle...absolutely. But there is still a deliberate crossing involved, nonetheless.

Intentionality.  That's all I meant, before my substantiation of function.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:07 am

Perhaps for non-pure breeds, there can be two camps: crosses (intentionality) and mutts (non-intentional, or "oops").  

Alaskan Huskies and doodles and Pomskys and Huskitas all fit in the first camp.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:15 am

I can get behind that. I'd consider working dogs and designer breeds as two separate categories under crosses then I think. That's a pretty good doggy filing system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...    Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Never heard of a "Huskita" before ...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next