It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 am

I get the same people are obsessed of how much the dog might of cost, but worse again and I get it all the time is "are you going to breed her, you could make a lot of cash from selling the pups" Mad
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 am

Ugh..... Not good
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:39 am

madisonmenece wrote:
I get the same people are obsessed of how much the dog might of cost, but worse again and I get it all the time is "are you going to breed her, you could make a lot of cash from selling the pups" Mad

This is the one that bugs me te most. Just because they're pure bred they want to breed them. I've received shocked faves from people when I tell them Lycus is neutered. He's WAY out of standard to even consider breeding him. I've also had most people tell me he's a GSD mix because his fur isn't really long.....
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 am

I still get a little annoyed when people ask silly questions but I just roll with it. They don't know any better, and as long as it isn't something completely stupid I'll give it a respectable response. It's when people TELL me something about my dog that I get annoyed. There is a big difference between, "His eyes are brown and he's a husky? I thought Huskys only had blue eyes?" and "His eyes are brown and he's a husky? Huskys can only have blue eyes."
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 am

the lady who i mentioned earlier (who was convinced huskies are mean) told me that if the dog has a sweet temperament, they shouldn't be fixed because you can't possibly let the chance go by to breed more huskies with good personality. sure lady, because there's not enough dogs in shelters these days...or BYBs. So far the people at my dog park are nice and educated. the people on our walks tend to say the craziest things about dogs. I even had a guy tell me its best to buy a puppy because rescue dogs are "used dogs". I was pretty ticked as all my animals prior to Kiba are rescues
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:56 am

Mink wrote:
Well, sometimes people have asked us questions about Cadance when we say she is pure Husky.
Today a lady was confused because of her coat color, but simply said she "didn't know they came in buff" Lol I said yeah it's kinda buff, they call it Light Red though.
Sometimes people get a little skeptical because she has a thick longish coat, and some people say how awesome her thick coat is. I like to say.. her coat is a little on the long side, we're waiting to see if she will be a long coat. Which is true.

Once in a while people ask if she is a Malamute, and have heard Eskimo, and Samoyed lol.
Of course to the latter two I have to explain she is only 4 months old that's why she's the size of a smaller spitz breed.

Eskimos only come in white. LOL. As said before, I wouldn't mind if people 'asked' about the breed, or were willing to change their opinion. I just hate it when I try to correct them and they vehemently insist that they are right about MY dog, and that I am wrong. Yes, of course my husky is a wolf mix, my mistake for trying to deceive you my honorably kind gentleman.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am

I've had a few people say they can't believe I neutered Lucian. "He's so pretty you should breed him" Nope, not happening. Every animal I have ever had was either spayed or neutered.

I had some guy try to tell me that Lucian was very rare cause he has blue eyes. Rolling Eyes I didn't even bother arguing with the guy.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm

I had someone get legitimately upset when I said I had a spay contract, and exclaim how much money I could make by breeding her because she has bi eyes...And he knows because he used to breed huskies..
Then again, said individual is the same age as my father, and gave me his number....so. I don't go to this particular Home Depot anymore.
Mostly, people here know or will believe she's a husky, a lot of people tell me she has two eye colors haha. I wasn't aware. Some do ask if she can see with her blue one, I say yes. I don't really mind, and if they do insist they're right, I smile and nod and them continue on in their own stubborn ignorance, and giggle when they leave. No harm done Smile
Back to top Go down
xredrainx
Teenager
Teenager
xredrainx

Male Join date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:30 pm

As a the owner of a bi-eyed husky I used to get the "oh he's not a pure bred husky or he's a malamute or is that a wolf" comment regularly when Thane was young. Not so much anymore but I understand not everyone is educated in the matter yet I get so worked up when I try to educate/explain to these people about the breed and they act all ignorant and make me out to be the idiot. So I love to share my frustration.

Got in a heated discussion with a woman at the dog park when Thane was younger and she would not listen to anything and pretty much proclaimed she was right, god's gift to dogs, etc. She really got under my skin so I looked at her and said this:

Me: "Lady is that your kid?"
Her:"Yes"
Me "He is very ugly, he can't be fully human? Is he part Moose or Bear?"

And I just continued discounting anything she told me till she got the message and went else where in the park. Not the nicest way to handle things but it does send a message lol.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:36 pm

xredrainx wrote:
As a the owner of a bi-eyed husky I used to get the "oh he's not a pure bred husky or he's a malamute or is that a wolf" comment regularly when Thane was young. Not so much anymore but I understand not everyone is educated in the matter yet I get so worked up when I try to educate/explain to these people about the breed and they act all ignorant and make me out to be the idiot. So I love to share my frustration.

Got in a heated discussion with a woman at the dog park when Thane was younger and she would not listen to anything and pretty much proclaimed she was right, god's gift to dogs, etc. She really got under my skin so I looked at her and said this:

Me: "Lady is that your kid?"
Her:"Yes"
Me "He is very ugly, he can't be fully human? Is he part Moose or Bear?"

And I just continued discounting anything she told me till she got the message and went else where in the park. Not the nicest way to handle things but it does send a message lol.

LOL!!! Oh man thats the funniest thing I've ever heard. Yuki is also bi-eyed so I often get this, I'm gonna have to try that next time xD
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Lol. Way to go!
I feel like if you walk around with a puppy people immediately assume A)you know nothing about your breed or dogs in general B)it's their job to educate you. So f*cking tired of that.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:58 pm

yes Why is that exactly? i can never figure out why everyone automatically wants to educate you on your own dog. I realize not everyone educates themselves about the breed before getting one but i would hope that most people took time to prepare for their new dog and learned about them beforehand. I went crazy with reading up on huskies before i started looking for one. But that being said i usually don't say anything much at all when people try to teach me about huskies. Just let them say whatever and smile. not worth my time to argue
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

I get crap all the time about Maggie being a malamute. Maggie is only 70 pounds but is all legs. She totally does not look like a husky at all. I get husky X Akita cross before malamute.

I have to describe the breed standard is 70-85 pounds. There are huge malamutes but not all of them are super big.

Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Wow, I am so glad I am not the only one who gets this. I get crazy stuff with Saphire all the time. But what makes me so mad I could spit nails in when someone is supposed to know their breeds and spreads misinformation. For example, the other day my daughter and I were in the mall and even though they are pet store puppies who can walk by without stopping to look at the cute puppies in the window. Well they had what appeared to be husky/Mal mixes in the window and they were quite talkative and I was getting a kick out of them talking to us. Anyway the lady standing next to us starts trying to convince everyone that they must be terribly mean dogs to growl and make all that noise. I just laughed. Then the girl that works in the pet store came out to explain to a gentleman their breed and begins to tell him that their father was a pure bred husky within breed standards at about 3 foot tall and 90 lbs and the mother was a pure bred Mal within breed standards at hip high and 125lbs. I wanted to cry. Not only are the pet store puppies but they weren't even well bred. Then she tells them they are asking $999 each. I waited until she left and explained to the guy that neither the mother or father were anywhere close to breed standards and that he should try to find a reputable breeder that would probably charge way less. He seemed receptive and told me he would look further. I was so glad to hear it, hopefully I at least prevent one catastrophe.
Back to top Go down
AndongPear
Newborn
Newborn
AndongPear

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 pm

When I walk my husky around, people would go, "oh, look, a husky!" and bend down to get a nice look at her face. Then they'd go, "oh, it's not purebred, huskies have blue eyes." I just smile at them and walk away, but sometimes I just wanna smack them in the face with the sibe breed standards, you know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Wow we always got the its a wolf with Butkis but he was "probably" a mix. He was one blue one parti but he was black and white. Now with Bourbon all I have gotten is "you nuetered him and he is pure why?" Why would you register him if you nuetered him? Why would you pay for him and then pay for nueter too. "I know I am not gonna breed him and he is my kid so my opinion counts not yours" but they do not seem to understand.
He has the blue eyes and is blk and white so I guess I do not have to worry about the rest of the comment plus he is gonna be huge so he will end up looking like the typical movie husky....he will perpetuate(sp) the rumors. At least I can try and dispell them by word of mouth even if I can not by look.
Aggresive dogs ha he met three young boys this weekend one who was attacked by a GSD and he had them eating out of his paw (HaHA) that is after he was over his shyness with them.

Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Zoey gets the Husky x Akita. She got it from an owner of two purebred Siberians. Just because she's a light red and has a snapped tail DOES NOT make her an Akita. I was furious. He was like no way she's pure Siberian, WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO SHOW YOU HER PAPERS. UGH
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Oh boy iI opened a can of worns!!!!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:36 pm

I may be the only one but i think a snapped tail is cute! We've encountered a lot of ignorance but since Kiba fits the look that most people assume is the norm, we haven't had anyone question her pedigree. At least the people who can tell she's a husky haven't questioned it lol...the other people have asked if shes a Mal and i've had Akita as well.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 3:48 pm

The biggest question I get is about Karli's size. Because she's all of 30lbs at 6 months old people ask if she's a mini-husky. Even my hubby asked that and I had to explain that female huskies really don't get as big as everyone thinks they do. I had this problem with my regular vet too who's techs kept saying that she was gonna be a large dog and I was like "She MIGHT reach 40lbs (although I'm starting to doubt that greatly, she's so agile and fast at this size) but not much more than that." At least the people at our dog parks know about huskies, so we don't have much problem there. I know people aren't going to be educated on breeds they don't have, but don't believe everything you see on tv either!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Kiba is the exact same size at six months and most people are confused by her size as well. They typically ask me if she's younger than she is (about 4 months). Most people think that huskies are going to be 60lbs +. A very sweet but misguided lady once said "she's small now but she'll be a moose later"
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:34 pm

That leads to thus question--what the hell is a "mini" husky?? I have seen these advertised for as much as 1000
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Yesterday i took koda for a walk in the park and the lady goes omg that look like a wolf.. I said its a husky, she said i know that.. They are just the closest type of dog to a wolf.. I just let it go.. I dont really like making conversation with people.. Lol

What is a snapped tail?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 5:22 pm

I get the breeding question ALL the time with Sheba, especially since she isn't fixed yet. When she went into heat, people around town noticed I wasn't out and about with her as often as I usually am so they asked me if she was okay or whatever. When I explained that she was in her heat and I was just being extra careful with her...oh damn. Should have kept my mouth shut. People are idiots and will never get it.

I also get the "she can't be a pure husky" because she is 10 months old and 30 pounds. I wish people would stop breeding this huge and outrageously sized huskies and sell them as the norm. It's so difficult to try and explain breed standards to people. It makes me sad when I hear people talk about how "the bigger the better"..NOOO it's not better. While it may happen, breeding specifically for the bigger sized is a bad thing, but people don't get that.

I also hate when people are like "Oh she's so beautiful, I want one too!!" Uhh, no you don't. You have no education on this breed whatsoever and they are nothing like they are in Snow Dogs. Stupid Snow Dogs movie.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Try having a Black Alaskan Husky... Or a Black Dingo, Or both together..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-