It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

people - Where do people get these ideas??? Empty
PostSubject: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Ok so hubby had puppy out last night. Several people were making over her when one woman came up and "well she is pretty, but too bad she us not a pure bred husky." Hubby said she was. "She cannot be--she doesnt. Have blue eyes." Hubby tells her they can have brown, bi, etc. Lady. Says well only the valuable ones have blue eyes. Hubby just walked away. What is the point of arguing. But this is not the first time someone has told me crazy ideas about blue eyes. Anyone else have this???
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 2:44 pm

I actually had someone in our local husky meet up group think Elara was a mix cause she was so small and had brown eyes!

people - Where do people get these ideas??? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:13 pm

I've had a couple people say that about Peaches. They think she is mixed because one eye is brown and the other eye is blue/brown. Don't let it get to you, some people are just stupid. lol!
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:15 pm

That is when you say..."Ignorance is free!"
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:17 pm

I have had people ask me if Blaze was blind because he has one blue/brown and one amber eye.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:20 pm

BahHaha that's the dumbest husky thing I've heard yet. People who don't take time to educate themselves on the breed don't need to make comment on them. I don't know anything about blue heelers therefore I wouldn't tell an owner of a blue heeler about the breed lol.
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:27 pm

And the red ones are rare! Lol!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Lol, everyone thinks Yuki is a 'wolf' because of her coloring, and that shes aggressive. I get a lot of people who cross the street when they see me walking towards them on the sidewalk. Funny thing is Yuki's probably more afraid of them then they are her.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Hahaha!!! I even have people try to educate ME when I try to contradict them. It can be annoying!!! Oh well.....
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Yeah I get that, too. And she's gonna be such a big dog!! At least 90#
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 4:16 pm

I had a girl at the little dog play area in my apartment complex try to tell me Vegeta was a Malamute because he had brown eyes. She went on and on about how her family has had 3 generations of Malamute and has bred them and she KNOWS any "Husky" with brown eyes is actually an undersized Malamute. After about 3 minutes of her lecturing about everything under the sun as if I didn't know anything about raising my pup I said "No, he's a Husky. They have numerous different eye and coat colors. The whole idea that they must be black with blue eyes is a common misconception. Just because they have brown eyes doesn't make them a Mal." Then she got all feisty and was saying I don't know anything about Malamutes or Huskies. I calmly picked up Vegeta, looked her in the face and said "You're an idiot", turned and left the play area.

People and their ignorance. My dog is pure bred, he is not mixed, he is not defective because he is brown eyed and white, he's not some mutant freak, I don't need to feed him more because he's "so skinny", no he shouldn't end up being 80-120 pounds he is a medium dog, no he's not weird because he cuddles on his terms, no just because every time he sees some one he gets super excited does not mean I am abusive or mean to my dog, yes he will get white dog hair on your black leggings if he rubs against you, no he doesn't howl at the moon, no I have not let him kill a squirrel, bird, small rodent, nor infant, no he won't hurt your puppy that's twice his size just because he growls louder than your dog and by God he's the sweetest little booger you'll ever meet so don't tell me I need to be careful because they have a tendency to attack/bite people.

Sorry, rant over. Those are all things I have commented on in my short time owning Vegeta.
Back to top Go down
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Oh my gosh- is that little white fluff ball Vegeta? What a cutie!
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Here here!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Everytime I take Dragon into a pet store I hear "is that a wolf?!"

Yes I went on a 3 day wilderness expedition where I caught and tamed a wild wolf......
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Can't get too mad for people not being educated in our breed. Not everyone bothers to educate themselves on different breed standards or animal stuff at all. Whenever stupid shit like that happens I take it as an opportunity to inform and squash any misconceptions. People at my dog park are remarkably informed on my breed even though I've only seen one. It's awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Funny the whole "huskies are aggressive" thing came up. Some woman on our walk today gave her friend an earful on how mean huskies usually are. I was within earshot of it so I brought kiba over to the bench near by and proceeded to make said woman feel awkward. The lady had a puppy and kiba literally crawled over to gently greet her and i was so proud. She was so good to the tiny pup. That shut her up. After that she was all "oh what. sWEET husky blah blah blah". Changing ignorant people one day at a time...
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 6:24 pm

"Hey, is he a Husky mix?" "No, he's a full Husky.". "No, that can't be, with all that grey and no black." "Well, he.......*ugh*"

My favorite Smile. The blue eye thing, all the tome too Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 pm

vegeta819 wrote:
yes he will get white dog hair on your black leggings if he rubs against you

Truth. My friend got mad at me last week when Pippa rubbed on her yoga pants after she asked to let Pippa out of her crate. So fun.

Someone asked me last week at the dog park if she was a wolf because of the way she was "stalking" the other dogs. I told her that she definitely wasn't the only dog that did that.

Yesterday I was hiking and I saw a couple with two huskies. I had to walk by them on this small bridge and I asked them if the dogs were friendly before letting Pippa walk up to them. The guys responded, "Yeah! I mean, as friendly as huskies can be!" and then his dog proceeded to snap at Pippa when she went to sniff him haha.

People are weird.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 11:01 pm

DanielleCortez wrote:
Can't get too mad for people not being educated in our breed. Not everyone bothers to educate themselves on different breed standards or animal stuff at all. Whenever stupid shit like that happens I take it as an opportunity to inform and squash any misconceptions. People at my dog park are remarkably informed on my breed even though I've only seen one. It's awesome.

I know, I know. It is not that really but it is annoying when someone is arguing with me about facts about my own dog--just because they have a brother, cousin or friend who had a husky. This lady insisted my dog was in no way registered, nor could she because she was poorly bred and had brown eyes!!!
affraid
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 am

Well, sometimes people have asked us questions about Cadance when we say she is pure Husky.
Today a lady was confused because of her coat color, but simply said she "didn't know they came in buff" Lol I said yeah it's kinda buff, they call it Light Red though.
Sometimes people get a little skeptical because she has a thick longish coat, and some people say how awesome her thick coat is. I like to say.. her coat is a little on the long side, we're waiting to see if she will be a long coat. Which is true.

Once in a while people ask if she is a Malamute, and have heard Eskimo, and Samoyed lol.
Of course to the latter two I have to explain she is only 4 months old that's why she's the size of a smaller spitz breed.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 1:11 am

I got into an argument with my teacher, who is also a Vet Tech because she told me Ares wasn't pure bred because huskies can only have blue eyes, and malamute can only have brown eyes. It was so aggrivating.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 am

oh and how much did you pay for that dog? A very common question when I'm out with link on the streets. some lady told me that I better be careful because he's really beautiful and that people can't have beautiful things in this world anymore. I was appalled.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 2:59 am

I'm more surprised that when I tell them how much I paid they're dumbfounded that a purebred Husky doesn't cost $2000.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 6:07 am

seattlesibe wrote:
oh and how much did you pay for that dog? A very common question when I'm out with link on the streets. some lady told me that I better be careful because he's really beautiful and that people can't have beautiful things in this world anymore. I was appalled.

I have been told many times that very thing--huskies get taken all the time, apparently.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 6:09 am

Jennet&Embry wrote:
I'm more surprised that when I tell them how much I paid they're dumbfounded that a purebred Husky doesn't cost $2000.

Thanks, puppy mills! Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next