It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 am

Yeah..that was one of the most ANNOYING things when Sheba was a puppy.. All the sudden people I had never seen before (I live in a small, redneck town) were Siberian experts and I was a dunce with a dog. Got SO old SO fast!! Apparently all dogs except huskies weigh like 2 pounds at 3 months of age lol! .
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am

This is from another post I made, but it's relevant here.

"Funny story. A week ago I was walking Kavik on campus when this old lady by the music building got out of her car and asked, "Is that a woof?" I cringed the moment she pronounced it 'woof' instead of 'wolf'. There were a bunch of people around the building, I'm guessing on their way to some event, so they all turned and stared. I told her “no, he's a husky.” She took it well and said she was from Alaska and sees huskies all the time as a follow up, which made it even worse. I felt embarrassed for her. people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 1625187496

If not Siberians, she should at least be familiar with Alaskan Huskies, which is what Kavik really looks like to me if he were not a Siberian. Oh, well. Everyone’s perceptions are different based on their experiences."
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Colleen, I had no idea Native Americans had a wolf sense! lol!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:17 pm

I know a couple of you have encountered the breeding people.. but never have I thought they truly existed to such an extent until today. I just met the craziest person on my walk. We went around to avoid some people and I mentioned 'sorry shes a little scared of people' and they let me go around and all of a sudden the lady goes 'oh wait! is that a female or male?' and I turn around and go 'uhh.. female..' and she goes 'here, let me give you my daughters number! is it ready to mate?' and I go 'uhh.. no.. shes fixed..' and then she starts cussing at me and goes 'you are crazy as hell! that is a damn beautiful dog, you could have made a ton of money why the hell would you go something stupid like that?!' and I just go 'erm, just because shes a female doesn't mean shes a good breeding candidate, and its healthier for her' and go goes 'well you're out of your damn mind, why the hell would you do that to a dog that beautiful' and I literally walked away before I punched her in the face. My dog, my choice. Thank God she doesn't own Yuki.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 pm

WOW! That is nuts! I have had one person ask me if I would consider breeding Micole but it wasn't like that at all! "tons of money" is that what people think about when they want to breed any dog out there? Ya let's all just keep them bear footed and pregnant all the time! Sounds like a great idea to me! Some people, some nerve!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:26 pm

I can 100% say I would have decked that lady in the face. No doubt in my mind. Kudos to you for not kicked some major bootayy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

I get the whole breeding tons of money speech everyday from my neighbor -_- he always gets pissed as soon as I bring up the fact that I'm getting Cain neutered as soon as he's old enough
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 pm

I got the why did I ruin her by getting her spade by someone in their car. Yup, I ruined a puppy that was found roaming the streets of South Bend. Plus it was done before I got her.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 pm

amychuke wrote:
WOW! That is nuts! I have had one person ask me if I would consider breeding Micole but it wasn't like that at all! "tons of money" is that what people think about when they want to breed any dog out there? Ya let's all just keep them bear footed and pregnant all the time! Sounds like a great idea to me! Some people, some nerve!

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
I can 100% say I would have decked that lady in the face. No doubt in my mind. Kudos to you for not kicked some major bootayy.

I was very near punching her. It almost felt like she was scolding a child for ruining the nice new carpet. Yuki is not my source of profit, she is not an item to put in the house and wait to make me money. She is my companion, my friend, and I don't need anyone to tell me what kind of 'money' I would have made when I'm already rich with the blessings she's given me through her ownership.
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:08 am

It doesn't bother me so much but I get the "Is that a white german shepherd?!" or "is it a mini? oh it's only 3 1/2 months? it's going to be HUGE." I've kinda just turned a deaf ear to things.

I did have this one lady stop me while we were on a walk through campus (if you live near a college I REALLY recommend it, tons of exposure to people, tires em out like nobodies business....just risky cause you never know about other dogs...anyways back to my story). She stopped me and was asking about him and said she was a "trainer" and owns a husky. She went on to tell me how her puppy is 10 months and is a wild child (ok, believable, do continue). Then she went on and on about how she used to tie a pallet with weights on it to him (wooden pallet that you see them use with fork lifts and put stuff on) and make him run around. My jaw dropped, the poor thing is less than 10 months and you have him pulling that much weight because he "had way too much energy for me". I mentioned how that probably wasn't good for the pup, then she went on and on about her experience and how she knows what shes doing...I finally had enough, said have a good day and kept walking. I hate when dogs get shafted because of arrogant owners.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:48 am

well just having kiba spayed last friday was when we finally got the "you could have made money off her! why did you spay her?!" comment from people. I have not gotten on my soapbox and ranted at anyone because i figure that it will really only cause conflict that i dont need in my life but on the inside i was fuming. My dog is not a money making machine. She is not a puppy factory. I know nothing of breeding or puppies. I dont need to produce more puppies when dogs are euthanized in shelters daily.

Its super upsetting to hear people tell me i shouldnt have spayed her. Its the year 2013 and despite all our advances in technology, science and health people still dont understand the massive issue of pet overpopulation????
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Here's a new one. Someone asked me if Lola was a tiger. I almost peed my pants.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Oh, the things people say. You certainly do get a lot of attention when you own a husky.

I've had the "Oh, are you going to breed her" so many times, and the criticism of her being fixed. I've had people think she was a wolf and some think she is under a year old because of her size. She's almost 11.Shaqua is 41 lbs and that is perfectly normal for a female but I get the "Oh, she's small for a husky" all the time.

I get so annoyed with people's ignorance! I am almost certain that the person who shot her this past July thought she was a wolf. (I had just moved to Tx and she ended up getting lost for a week, I was SO lucky to find her. I tracked her for miles down a gravel road where she visited home after home looking for me.)
people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 165913_915692453391_1168522780_n
Even with her hurt like she was she was so happy to see me. Since that event she pretty much shadows me everywhere I go. She healed up wonderfully even though the stripe that comes down her nose is a little off now. The bullet grazed her skull and ricocheted. She is one LUCKY girl. She's my best friend, really.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Awwwwww.. Poor thing!!!!!!! Sad Good to hear she is doing better
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 pm

I can't believe someone shot her! What a strong girl you have!
Back to top Go down
Epimetheus
Puppy
Puppy
Epimetheus

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Q: "Do you race your dogs?"
A: "No. Most people do not. Sometimes we hitch them to a bicycle and trot around the neighborhood"

Q: "Does she shed much?"
A: "No, only a full pillowcase every two months. And we have 5 like her."

Q: "Is that a wolf?"
A: "Yes."

Q: "She can't be a real Husky. She does not have blue eyes."
A: "Really? Holy cow, they are brown! I never noticed!"

Q: "I had a wolfdog just like that. It was the toughest, meanest ...."
A: "Gnzzz. Snore. What were you saying?"

Q: "Do you want to breed her?"
A: "No. I am already married."
Back to top Go down
karmaann
Newborn
Newborn
karmaann

Female Join date : 2013-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:29 pm

We had our first "wolf" callout today. Went to the pet store and a little boy yelled out, "Look Dad, a Wolf!" Fortunately Dad looked over and said, "No, that's a husky". I didn't think I'd hear this kind of confusion because to me, a husky doesn't look like a wolf. But oh well.

Addy created quite a stir at the pet store. Mostly because she is such a pretty girl. That grabs everyone's attention first. Then they notice she only has 3 legs, so they keep looking. Addy doesn't mind the attention. She got lots of petting today. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 9:29 am

FINALY meet someone yesterday that actually knew what a husky is supposed to look like!!! So refreshing. He hung around for an hour talking about Mishka and the huskies he used to have. He said it is sad the quality of huskies being bred around here and couldnt believe he found a good one in our town!! LOL. We told him that we couldnt believe we found someone around here that had the husky knowledge he did!! So, there is hope! Wink
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptySat May 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Mary, Bodhi and I were walking at a nature preserve on an island near where we live.
On one side of the island is a boat dock and state park where people can tie up their boats and camp.
As we were walking past the dock, a man saw us and came up the landing.
"Is that a malamute?" he asked.
"No," I said, "he's a husky."
(editorial note: Bodhi is a small husky. He weighs 45 lbs.)
"I think you are wrong," the man said. "Huskies are way bigger than malamutes."
Idiot, I am thinking as I walk away.
"Boy, I'll bet he's trouble around people he doesn't know."
"No, I said, "He'd lick your face off maybe."
The man said, "If you say so, but I am not getting too close to him."
That was good for a laugh!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Alaskan Malamute:

Height: Males 24 - 26 inches, Females 22 - 24 inches
Weight: Males 80 - 95 pounds, Females 70 - 85 pounds

Siberian Husky:

Height: Males 21 - 23½ inches, Females 20 - 22 inches
Weight: Males 45 - 60 pounds, Females 35 - 50 pounds

And he thinks huskies are bigger/vicious, Whaaat? O.o
Back to top Go down
HobbesKitten
Newborn
Newborn
HobbesKitten

Female Join date : 2013-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptySun May 12, 2013 1:44 am

There is a guy who lives in the apartments across the street from my home who is convinced Tsubaki is a wolf and goes around telling people when they move in "watch out, white lady gon' set her wolf on y'all! That dogs a killa!"

Meanwhile my murderous creature is chasing a butterfly in my yard.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptySun May 12, 2013 3:37 am

people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 1625187496
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptySun May 12, 2013 10:34 am

People always ask me if Bode is a malamute. He's under standard, definitely not that big of a boy. I chalk it up to people not knowing the difference between the two. I just find it weird that people think malamute first, I always kind of thought huskies were more well known as a breed to the general public due to media and movies. Oh well!
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptySun May 12, 2013 10:41 am

Glad I'm not the only one having their husky called a wolf.
A few months ago Nova was playing on a 3ft patch of ice -rolling around, licking it, talking to it - silly boy.
Anyway this guy comes out of a Garage: "HEY HEY Look at that!" (Grabs a kid by the shirt pulling him and pointing at us) "LOOK AT THAT WOLF DOG! OH look at the eyes! OH!"
Kid: Nervous now because he thinks its a wolf.
Guy: "HEY can we come over and pet him?!"
Me: "Sure - he's just a little hyper at the moment huskies do love their snow." (I was trying to be polite)
They come over.
Guy: "That is the closest thing to a wolf your ever going to see on a LEASH! Good looking DOG!"
The kid tried to pet him but Nova jumped and happy barked scaring this kid.
I told them he isn't mean just really friendly and wants to your friend. The kid laughed and slowly walked back to the garage. The guy the hold time is going on and on about the blue-eyed wolf dog.

Does anyone have their husky called a mix? We get this one a lot.
PetSmart #1:
Lady - Oh what a beautiful dog, He's part husky but what else? We tell her - he's 100% husky. She rolled her eyes.
PetSmart #2:
Guy: Good looking dog, what does he all have?
Us: He's all husky
Guy: Really?! *Shocked face stares down*
Lady on the stairs:
Lady - He's gotten so big! How old?
Me: 6 months and yes he is growing like a wild.
Lady: Now I see the husky in him, but what else is there?
Me: Nothing he's pure wild husky! *Laughing*
Lady: Husky's are good dogs - don't say that. They are truly loyal and have a good nature.
Me: I know they are good dogs he just has his wild crazy moments. (I'm saying this as he to digging a hole in the mulch and eating bark...)
Lady: You shouldn't say that.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 EmptySun May 12, 2013 10:45 am

Super Nova wrote:
Does anyone have their husky called a mix? We get this one a lot.

Yeah since Yuki's so small (36 pounds at 9 months, I don't think shes that much of a dwarf) and I've had HUSKY OWNERS ask me if my husky was 100% husky. And when I say she is, they question it asking if I rescued her and if I really knew, and I'm like, I have AKC papers, I've met the parents, I've met the breeders. Pretty sure I know my own dog XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next