It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Quote :
I get the breeding question ALL the time with Sheba, especially since she isn't fixed yet
I only ever got this question once. Right before we got her, one of my hubby's friends asked what gender we were getting. When my hubby told him a girl, he got all upset because he had a girl shiba inu that he wanted to breed and apparently wanted to breed her to a husky. I took one look at my hubby and said there was no way in hell that was happening. I would not breed my dog and I certainly wouldn't breed it with a dog of a different breed. This is the same guy who left his dog with a friend while he deployed and didn't tell her that his dog wasn't fixed. He was lucky her dogs were.
Back to top Go down
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Not that I would breed a Shiba Inu and a Husky, but please dont generalize and knock mixed breeding. Some of the best work dogs out there are carefully bred mixes.
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 5:43 pm

Snapped Tail (on a klee klai). curls over and touches the back. i believe that its considered a flaw the same way a wooly coat is in the show ring:
people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 Snappe10

A regular tail:
people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 Normal10
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Quote :

Some of the best work dogs out there are carefully bred mixes.
O no I know that, but his was NOT a careful breeding. It was one of those..."huskies look cool and mixing them with my dog would make an even cooler dog!" Definitley not smart breeding at all.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

I guess I wasn't aware of the difference between a snap tail and a normal tail.

Kerian has a snap tail and Blaze has the normal one. I learn something new here almost everyday.

Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

Male Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 6:18 pm

My. Neighbor is really annoying with the whole breeding him idea. Whenever he sees Cain all he thinks about is the money! Really annoying as if it was his dog! He always says "you would get a lot of money" I look at my dog as a friend and a companion not a freaking business for Profit! I just let Him ramble on, once I told him I was gonna get him neutered (still am) and he flipped out! He was all like YOU CAN'T DO THAT THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL DOG THAT CAN BRING US A FORTUNE! first off us? He is my dog! Secondly him just existing as my companion is my fortune. People can get annoying!
Back to top Go down
Brandon&Mishka
Newborn
Newborn
Brandon&Mishka

Male Join date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm

elmerdc4 wrote:
YOU CAN'T DO THAT THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL DOG THAT CAN BRING US A FORTUNE!

oh my god I feel so bad for you lol. should tell him to stfu aha Wink
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 7:34 pm

IDe be SO mad if my neighbor said that to me. Yes let's breed my dog and have puppies I don't have time for with vet bills that I can't afford and make my girl carry a litter of puppies that will end up in shelters or breeding more poor dogs. Oh and btw i most people (including me) arent educated enough about the dangers breeding and the birth process to handle issues that come up. but it makes perfect sense after i consider those things. People have no conscience!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 pm

I get that "he can't be a husky he isn't the right color" lol. Oh and Balon has a snap tail too! It is considered a fault if you want to show a husky, but I think it's cute on him!

Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:42 pm

When I was walking out of the dog park the other day, there was a family coming in with two young kids (whole different rant)... The mother turns to the daughters and is like, "Oh look, honey, it's a wolf! Isn't that a pretty wolf?"

I just kept my mouth shut and walked past them... People... =\ Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Callicocat
Puppy
Puppy
Callicocat

Female Join date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 pm

I've personally started telling people Rue is an arctic squirrel when they say/ask if he is a wolf Razz But it is super annoying I have encountered all of the above stated questions/ ignorance.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 pm

LOL!! I should try that sometime!!
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:45 pm

It's too bad about the eye color. I like all of the variations. My neighbor has a husky with brown eyes and I think they are just as gorgeous as blue ones.

I've heard the 'it's a wolf' thing so many times. I don't understand how people can mix the two. Wolves are so much bigger and they just look different. They are lankier and have narrow chests, and massive paws with a bulky look to them when compared to a husky. I've been asked if a red husky is a different kind of husky because the person assumed black and white are the only 'real' husky colors. That was probably the weirdest one I had heard.

The day after I brought Kavik home I took him to the vet in petsmart and a lady with this poor shaved GSD had the balls to tell me my dog was going to 'get hot in that coat' in a tone I didn't care for. I looked at her dog and gave her a dirty look. I wasn't going to get in a fight about it after some retarded groomer decided they would shave my previous husky without my consent and that she had skin problems for the rest of her life that she didn't have prior to being shaved down to her undercoat. I still get mad when I think about what that person did to my dog's coat.

I've been told that Kavik should be bred and my reply was to list off all the vet expenses for shots and deworming, the crying, the pooping, the peeing, the cost of dog food, all of the things that can go wrong, and that I would never in my right mind take care of a litter of puppies all by myself. I would go raving mad because it's like taking care of several infants at once, by myself. They seemed to get the point.

Luckily, I've never gotten the 'huskies are aggressive' speech before. I'm waiting for that one.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Kavik_the_Havoc wrote:
The day after I brought Kavik home I took him to the vet in petsmart and a lady with this poor shaved GSD had the balls to tell me my dog was going to 'get hot in that coat' in a tone I didn't care for. I looked at her dog and gave her a dirty look. I wasn't going to get in a fight about it after some retarded groomer decided they would shave my previous husky without my consent and that she had skin problems for the rest of her life that she didn't have prior to being shaved down to her undercoat. I still get mad when I think about what that person did to my dog's coat.

I would have probably gone off at her or said something snarky like 'at least he won't get skin disease'. Poor thing.

That was one of my biggest fears. When I took Yuki in for her puppy bath I was questioning the guy like 'so what kind of comb do you use.. are you going to shave her.. DON'T SHAVE HER..' Luckily he had grown up with huskies so he actually knew what he was doing, but I don't think I'll take Yuki anywhere else and most the time I'm gonna do her grooming myself haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:55 pm

Angela. Does your Husky have blue eyes? If it does it's almost identical to mine! I look at him/her and am astounded by the resemblance, even the same collar color! I know huskies can never be identical but still it's funny to see how close they look alike to each other haha
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 pm

I think people tend to forget that having wolves or wolf hybrids is illegal in most sates... Most people are either excited, or terrified to pet my dog. And all he wants to do is lick the crap out of people haha.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Hunter gets the wolf comments a lot. Mostly we get asked if they are related and then have to patiently explain that they are different breeds and only 2 weeks apart.

We did take them to the beach for a swim yesterday to be confronted with a husky owner who asked what they were and I explained Hunter was a malamute and Milla was a Husky. The woman proceeded to ask me what sort of husky she was and I drew a blank and just said a purebred husky and then the woman said "oh I've got a Siberian Husky" like they were two completely different breeds, I just said okay then and we left as quick as we could.. just a bit dumbfounded
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 pm

Lol it's totally logical to assume that we have wolves as pets and take them in petsmart and the dog park and for walks around the neighborhood. Hahaha
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:09 pm

I LOVE this thread! I get all that from people around here.

Some guy at the dog park argued with me that she couldn't possibly be purebred because she was too small (she's actually a little big for a female, but still within standard!!) and red. She clearly HAD to be crossed with Shiba Inu. I finally told him that she was purebred and I had a 5 generation pedigree to prove it (its actually 3, but I felt the exaggeration was justified) and walked away.

Also all the kids in our neighborhood think she's a wold because they saw her kill a bird... oops...
Back to top Go down
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Lydia-does Murphy have amber eyes? She reminds looks a lot like Lola.

Yes, I'm a zookeeper and I bring this wolf or fox home with me.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 pm

elmerdc4 wrote:
Angela. Does your Husky have blue eyes? If it does it's almost identical to mine! I look at him/her and am astounded by the resemblance, even the same collar color! I know huskies can never be identical but still it's funny to see how close they look alike to each other haha

Yeah he does - it's gotten lighter as he's gotten older too... Your pup looks almost exactly like Stark when he was a pup - only he had a darker-ish stripe going down his back and a dot on his tail! Smile
Back to top Go down
elmerdc4
Teenager
Teenager
elmerdc4

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 pm

UndarthAngipoo wrote:
elmerdc4 wrote:

Yeah he does - it's gotten lighter as he's gotten older too... Your pup looks almost exactly like Stark when he was a pup - only he had a darker-ish stripe going down his back and a dot on his tail! Smile

Nice haha Cain is growing fast! his mask has gotten a bit darker
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:33 pm

I was expecting Stark's colour to turn into a B&W coat, but surprisingly he's kept a lot of the buff/red colouring (which I'm not complaining about). It's interesting to see how his coat his changed so much from the time he was a pup, but I guess huskies are notorious for that... Must be that It's A Husky Thing Wink
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Maya's a blind wolf, Sophie's a blind mix, and Kay is either a wolf or a malamute puppy.
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 11:50 pm

bellecma wrote:
Lydia-does Murphy have amber eyes? She reminds looks a lot like Lola.

Yes, Murphy does have Amber eyes!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next