It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Woe. Thanks for the info. Seems stupid to me!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Mishka'sMom wrote:
bellecma wrote:
The "I want a husky, they are my favorite" scares the pee out of me.

I get that all the time.....I just say, great, but you better read alot about the breed before you consider it. they are a ton of extra work. Most just say, "OH" but, little kids flock to her (and she them)..."IT'S A HUSKY!!!!"

I always think: "ohhhhh, no you don't.". And outloud I say to people when we get "oh my god he's sooooooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuute...." , "yeah if only it were that simple. I was over his cuteness 2 weeks ago.". Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:24 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Mishka'sMom wrote:
bellecma wrote:
The "I want a husky, they are my favorite" scares the pee out of me.

I get that all the time.....I just say, great, but you better read alot about the breed before you consider it. they are a ton of extra work. Most just say, "OH" but, little kids flock to her (and she them)..."IT'S A HUSKY!!!!"

I always think: "ohhhhh, no you don't.". And outloud I say to people when we get "oh my god he's sooooooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuute...." , "yeah if only it were that simple. I was over his cuteness 2 weeks ago.". Smile

Whenever people compliment Yuki or say how cute she is I say 'Don't let her fool you, she's a demon on the inside' and then if they ask I go on to the list the things shes destroyed within the first month I had her. I hate 'scaring' people off, I'd just rather them do their research than to see another teenage pup end up in the shelter, because there's a lot of people when I mention some things Yuki have done that will say 'If that were my dog I would've gotten rid of it by now'. Then you don't want to get a husky in the first place.
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

when I mention some things Yuki have done that will say 'If that were my dog I would've gotten rid of it by now'. Then you don't want to get a husky in the first place.

God that aggravates me to no end when people say that. I love my dog. My dog is my kid and all the future dogs in life will be too. People say"my kid took a crayon to the wall or peed in the bed again or stole 50 bucks out of my wallet" I'm suppose to feel sorry for them when all I feel like saying is " Maybe you should get rid of it " Don't tell me to get rid of my family if I can't tell you the same thing. Grrr....
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm

eander83 wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:

when I mention some things Yuki have done that will say 'If that were my dog I would've gotten rid of it by now'. Then you don't want to get a husky in the first place.

God that aggravates me to no end when people say that. I love my dog. My dog is my kid and all the future dogs in life will be too. People say"my kid took a crayon to the wall or peed in the bed again or stole 50 bucks out of my wallet" I'm suppose to feel sorry for them when all I feel like saying is " Maybe you should get rid of it " Don't tell me to get rid of my family if I can't tell you the same thing. Grrr....

Exactly. Yuki is like my own daughter, I wouldn't get rid of her for the world. But I do have to say sometimes she tries my patience, and I know not everyone seems to think the way I do when it comes to my dogs.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Ha ha ha!!! I just say she's a brat and pain in the a**!! But I love her dearly...
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Quote :
Exactly. Yuki is like my own daughter, I wouldn't get rid of her for the world. But I do have to say sometimes she tries my patience, and I know not everyone seems to think the way I do when it comes to my dogs.
Same here. I love Karli to death, she's my baby, but man sometimes I look at her and say "pretend to be a lab!!!" lol I knew what I was getting into with her, and you guys did too, so we're ahead of the curve! My hubby even takes her in stride, like she chewed his wax for his snowboard the other day and he was like "well smell it, it smells good." Didn't even phase him. She has him blinded!

The thing that got me the most was all the techs telling me how big my dog was gonna be when she grew up because she had "huge" paws. But compared to my friend's doberman, she had tiny paws. I was really starting to get annoyed til one vet tech came in, took one look at her, and said "well she's a petite little girl ain't she?" Then proceeded to tell my hubby how she wouldn't get much over 40lbs and that she could adjust to warm weather just fine. It made him feel better to hear it from someone who is supposed to know what they're talking about.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 4:03 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:
Quote :
Same here. I love Karli to death, she's my baby, but man sometimes I look at her and say "pretend to be a lab!!!" lol I knew what I was getting into with her, and you guys did too, so we're ahead of the curve! My hubby even takes her in stride, like she chewed his wax for his snowboard the other day and he was like "well smell it, it smells good." Didn't even phase him. She has him blinded!

The thing that got me the most was all the techs telling me how big my dog was gonna be when she grew up because she had "huge" paws. But compared to my friend's doberman, she had tiny paws. I was really starting to get annoyed til one vet tech came in, took one look at her, and said "well she's a petite little girl ain't she?" Then proceeded to tell my hubby how she wouldn't get much over 40lbs and that she could adjust to warm weather just fine. It made him feel better to hear it from someone who is supposed to know what they're talking about.

I think everyone seems to think, or in their opinion, know, that all huskies need to be in a climate where the weather is below 30 degrees all the time, that if it gets above 30 degrees they need to be shaved, that if they are below 60 pounds they aren't purebred, and that we are cruel for leashing them because everyone knows they 'love the freedom'. And it can be quite discouraging when all these opinions seem to be the same but they don't actually. own. a husky. It's reassuring to actually find people who know what they're talking about Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 6:07 pm

eluke81 wrote:
Abby - stupid question, I'm fairly new to this site- are 2 of your dogs really blind??
Lol, no they're not.
Back to top Go down
vegeta819
Teenager
Teenager
vegeta819

Male Join date : 2013-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 6:36 pm

I get the "oh I want a husky so bad" all the time. I always go into "they're loud, you have to work them out every day, they don't cuddle, they shed A LOT, they're ungodly stubborn, as you can tell they want 2 pats and they're done (as Vegeta comes up, gets his pats and the trots away as they call for him to come back)"

I just wish it was required to pass a test on the breed before you bought them
Back to top Go down
drzcoyotex3
Teenager
Teenager
drzcoyotex3

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't get mad when people have misconceptions, I tend to get aggravated when clueless smartasses try to teach me things about my own dog yet they don't know anything about them. Funny thing is many people get mad when you tell them they are wrong haha, pretty entertaining.
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:55 am

vegeta819 wrote:
I get the "oh I want a husky so bad" all the time. I always go into "they're loud, you have to work them out every day, they don't cuddle, they shed A LOT, they're ungodly stubborn, as you can tell they want 2 pats and they're done (as Vegeta comes up, gets his pats and the trots away as they call for him to come back)"

I just wish it was required to pass a test on the breed before you bought them

LOL. I love when I'm at a dog park and people ask my dogs' names and they don't respond when called. "See, not so fun huh?"
Back to top Go down
dbingham12
Teenager
Teenager
dbingham12

Female Join date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 am

seattlesibe wrote:
Today: is he a miniature Husky??

Nope, he's 10 weeks old.

Sigh.

You mean this doesn't make them mini?? They are not full grown by 10 weeks? J/K that is just too crazy.

Heck I still get this with Saphire at 13 months old. Everyone seems to think she is either a mini or that she is only 6 months. When I tell them she is pretty much full grown height wise at this point they just seem awstruck.
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 11:29 am

Everyday its cold out

"They must LOVE this weather."

...Yea, I know.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 am

I hate it when people tell me that huskies don't do well in the heat of Oklahoma, Texas Florida or such.. They do very well here mine sunbathe in the 100 degrees temps all the time. They were born here and they are very used to this type of weather.. Several people ask me if I shave them in the summer My response is NO their coats keep them cool in the summer as well as warm in the winter..
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 12:35 pm

I remember before i got her, my co-workers were like "those dogs are crazy", "your brave because I wouldn't get a husky" and also "they are such big dogs!". Okay YES there are days shes crazy hyper and drives me a little nutty but honestly having her has been a huge joy in my life. And 3 people i work with have all told me they dumped their dogs at shelters (all for really really poor reasons) and so it just goes to show you cannot listen to all the dumb advice people try to give you. My co-workers are all pretty nice actually but when you try and give me dog advice (and you just took yours to the shelter because your kids wanted to trade the dog for a cat), im sorry but that's just ridiculous. I dont have children and you don't hear me giving advice on how they should raise their kids. end rant.
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Sorry to drag this up, but.. I JUST had two incidents yesterday lol.

I had one guy ask if Cadance was blind... but myself and his friend said "no" in unison lol.
I told him she's fine, her eyes are just blue.. but they got distracted by another friend so dunno why he thought she might be blind.

Also had a elderly man tell me "Oh, she's got some wolf in her.. I can tell because I'm part Native American." Lol Oh boy... made me question the guy's sanity for a moment, not the first time I have though. My fiance' is part Native American... his great grandma was half Native American, and that's not a ton when it comes to him... he mostly just has a natural faintly tan skin.. which has only caused him trouble since the other kids used to pick on him and call him dirty growing up.

Get to see the elderly man often on the weekends, we have been bringing Cadance with us to the comic and card game store, hope he doesn't cause a ruckus calling her part wolf and all.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 1:35 am

HAHA!! Part wolf?! She looks no where NEAR having ANY wolf in her..at all. What did you say to that Colleen?? I think I would have busted up laughing. People calling reds part wolf, especially the really light colored ones make me sad for humanity..

I haven't experienced anything lately, which is good. I guess people around town have realized not to ask me stupid questions or tell me "facts" about my dogs because I'm not too nice about it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
bellecma
Teenager
Teenager
bellecma

Female Join date : 2012-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 am

Funny this thread resurfaced because I had someone ask my hubby and me if we had a license for that. That meaning Lola. We had such odd looks on our faces that the person added, you know, for your wolf. We shook our heads and then they said, just kidding.

I always think it is funny because to us Lola is tiny. Our last female was 50 pounds and broad chested. Our last male was 60 pounds and at the top of breed standard for height. Lola is tall, narrow and about 43 pounds.
Back to top Go down
Mink
Puppy
Puppy
Mink

Female Join date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
HAHA!! Part wolf?! She looks no where NEAR having ANY wolf in her..at all. What did you say to that Colleen?? I think I would have busted up laughing. People calling reds part wolf, especially the really light colored ones make me sad for humanity..

I haven't experienced anything lately, which is good. I guess people around town have realized not to ask me stupid questions or tell me "facts" about my dogs because I'm not too nice about it.

Well, my mind kinda did a double-take and replayed what he said to myself in my head lol.
He asked me "you know how I know?" I said.. "cuz of the spot on her tail maybe?"
He said.. "No, because I'm part native-american, I can tell these things."
I was like uh... and thinking about if my fiance' would appreciate me telling the guy he was part native american too..
But the guy got distracted by someone who had an urgent question about the release date for some game or comic or something. >_<
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

I got hubby a Part Wolf tshirt as a joke because it's so ridiculous! Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 pm

This is mostly relevant to this thread in recent memory.

I'm walking home today from puppy class, Link and I are both tired and I'm walking behind our building to the stairs and all of a sudden I hear a horn frantically honking and a screaming voice saying:

EXCUSE ME, EXCUSE ME (HONK HONK HONK HONK), WE WANNA TALK TO YOU ABOUT YOUR MALAMUTE PUPPY!!! WHICH STORE DID YOU GET HIM AT?????? CAN WE PET HIM??

All while they are stalled in the middle of the street, blocking traffic. No exaggerations, I promise Wink
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:33 am

seattlesibe wrote:

EXCUSE ME, EXCUSE ME (HONK HONK HONK HONK), WE WANNA TALK TO YOU ABOUT YOUR MALAMUTE PUPPY!!! WHICH STORE DID YOU GET HIM AT?????? CAN WE PET HIM??

Lol, too funny. I can imagine the spastic person screaming behind the wheel slack-jawed and wild-eyed. Maybe add a touch of drool or foam. Classic.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 12:56 am

It was awesome. Definitely for the win.
Back to top Go down
amychuke
Teenager
Teenager
amychuke

Female Join date : 2013-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 1:16 am

O these are great! First time husky owner one thing they dont tell you is all the attention you get! I have had 2 people come up to me asking me if she was a mini. I tell them she isnt even 3 months old yet (this was a few weeks ago) they where like O wow! She is going to be a big girl! confused the other woman just kept on how she was a mini.. I just look at them with the stupidest faces I can come up with... I mean how do you respond to that? I am like hello I just told you she isnt even 3 months old!!! people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where do people get these ideas???   people - Where do people get these ideas??? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Where do people get these ideas???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next