It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw Diet and grains/roughage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

Raw Diet and grains/roughage  Empty
PostSubject: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  EmptySun Jun 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi all,

In doing my research into Raw diets, I am pretty well convinced that the Prey Model Raw diet is what I will end up feeding, but...

One thing that I found interesting in my research is that a particular vet says that grains or vege material should be part of the diet. His reasoning is that animals like wolves will eat the stomach and entrails first with their content of digested and partly digested plant material. So strictly meat, bones and organs does not truly replicate what would have been eaten in the wild???

Any thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 am

You dont need it, but its okay to feed it. IMO, processed veggies and grains (and meat) are very different than freshly prepared ingredients. 

For example, and this is going to sound weird, my female will swell up, vomit and go nuts if she has cooked or kibbled chicken. BUT, if she eat raw, organic chicken, she is fine. We discovered this by chance when I accidentally dropped some of the floor while preparing it for myself.  

I give mine veggies, but I steam and puree them into a much, mainly because they like them. I give carrots whole and cucumbers cut up.

I see no reason to add grains, as they don't really provide much nutrition for the dog. If you are feeding an adequate amount of meat you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

PostSubject: Re: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 am

Thanks for your response Megan. 

I believe that dogs get very little nutrition from grains and vege, unless they are steamed and pureed as you do. I would imagine that these partly digested non meat foods in the prey's stomach would be similar in that they can be used as nutrition and part of a normal carnivore's diet. 

I find this subject fascinating and possibly differs from the ardent Prey Model Raw Diet.
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:05 am

I know a woman who occasionally gives her pack whole carcasses and they don't eat the entrails, never have. I don't see a point in adding vege or grain, so long as the diet is balanced.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 2:27 am

I refuse to feed entrails - todays animals can eat all kinds of horrible things.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

PostSubject: Re: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 3:26 am

It is very interesting indeed.

Normally in the wild, carnivores will choose the richest part of the prey (usually the guts and organs) as first choice and the Alpha gets first pick of these. 

Bears in Kamchatka for instance, will often eat berries when other foods are scarce, then moving onto flesh and finally onto just the brains and guts of fish and also cracking mussels out of the shells for increased calories per volume. 

I certainly don't have the answers to the specifics of PMRD, but I am very interested in the science and theory:)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 6:08 am

This is actually something that is heavily debated which I am sure you must have found in your research. There is plenty of evidence showing that dogs actually do not eat the stomach or it's contents, yet you will also find evidence of dogs who do. I personally side with the camp that believes dogs do not eat the stomach contents, I feel there is much more evidence supporting this than the other side of the argument. With that said, PMR diets do not require the addition of veggies or grains but in most cases I'm sure their inclusion will be of no detriment to the dog. But I consider it useless  to the dog nutrition-wise so why bother unless the dog has a weight issue and you want it to feel fuller on less useable filler. Now in a BARF diet a veggie paste is essential, but between the two I consider the PMR diet more biologically appropriate.

Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

PostSubject: Re: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  EmptyMon Jun 17, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks Val,

I didn't really want to go BARF, and what you say makes sense. I will keep the odd bit of rabbit food for a snack treat Very Happy rather than part of the diet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Diet and grains/roughage    Raw Diet and grains/roughage  Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw Diet and grains/roughage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1