It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sasuke&zuko
Newborn
Newborn
sasuke&zuko

Male Join date : 2013-06-21

Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? Empty
PostSubject: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Hello I'm brand new to this site, and I was wondering if I could get some advice from other husky owners. I have two huskies, one black & white, and the other red & white, both pure bread. My oldest is black and white, and he weights 55-60lbs, so he is breed standard in size, however my pup is 7 months now, and he is only 32lbs. I feel like my older male was at least 40lbs by that age. My pup did suffer a big injury early on when we bought him(about 14 weeks old I think), on his right hind leg. He broke his growth plate, and the vet said he needed surgery which cost us $2000 dollars. The vet said that his leg may be slightly smaller then the other leg, and to this date his legs seem the same size, but he still limps a tad bit. If I didn't say anything, you wouldn't notice, but he seems to do it a lot more at home rather then out and about. I guess at home he is more focus on it, because at parks he runs and jumps just like normal. I'm really big on my huskies being big and strong, and my wife seems to think he is growing naturally, considering that his body may be focusing more energy on his leg healing right(the vet said it could take 6-8 months to heal all the way, but cleared him for regular activity), but I just worry that he wont get to his full weight. He is beautiful dog regardless, but I've had this dream of having these two huskies since I was 5 years old, and I would hate that he would be a runt for life, becuase of an injury he got from playing with the other dog.

*Note: he was the biggest puppy of the liter when we bought him.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 11:32 pm

My 11 month old female is only 35 pounds. She seemed normal sized compared to her siblings but as she grew she turned out the smallest so far and her parents are 52 and 65 pounds. Huskies grow at different rates and end up at different sizes, they grow in height up until a year old and fill out up to 2 years old so he could have a growth spurt at any time or he may end up being smaller at the 40 pound range. And honestly even if he stays small it won't mean he didn't grow 'big and strong', it just means he's on the smaller end while others are on the larger end. As long as you can't see his ribs or spine I think you're alright.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:09 am

FWIW, my male is only 42lbs and 18 mos. old
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:10 am

mheath0429 wrote:
FWIW, my male is only 42lbs and 18 mos. old

Holy crap I never knew Cato was that young! And yeah I am a bit partial towards our small huskies I love you
Back to top Go down
NCSIBE
Newborn
Newborn
NCSIBE

Male Join date : 2013-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 11:19 am

Shoot yall havent seen small. My roxy is only 23 lbs but she is a special case. 32 lbs is right on track, keep in mind they dont fill out till around 3 year mark.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 10:20 pm

They vary quite a bit in size with some going way outside standard. My Balon is 65lbs (5lbs bigger then he should be to be in standard) Loki is 5 months old and weighs 41.5lbs. Who knows how big he will be.
Back to top Go down
sasuke&zuko
Newborn
Newborn
sasuke&zuko

Male Join date : 2013-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 10:50 pm

I know huskies vary in size, and he just may end up being a small male or he may end up reaching the 50 lbs to 60lbs, but my question is if anyone has experience, or knows if an injury like a broken growth plate can stunt a puppies growth? Had we never got surgery on him, his leg would of stopped growing, so I'm wondering if his overall growing has been slowed, or reduced, because his body is still healing that leg, or poring most of its energy in that leg.

Overall your right in that he still does have time to grow, and I worried about my first huskies growth rate and now he is big boy, so maybe it's me. I just here so many people say my 6 month male is 40lbs and I think man, mines is small.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 10:59 pm

If I remember correctly when they injure their growth plate, they will usually grow at a slower rate, especially in that one area depending on the surgery that they did. But I don't think it'll effect his overall size.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?   Why is my 7 month male puppy so small? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why is my 7 month male puppy so small?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1