It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sun shy Xena

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kmm0911
Newborn
Newborn
kmm0911

Sun shy Xena  Empty
PostSubject: Sun shy Xena    Sun shy Xena  EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 5:55 pm

So we have had Xena for 2 weeks now and things are going really well. She has been really responsive to training to far. There is one thing that I was looking for some advice on though. When I go home on lunch break to let her out and walk her she wont walk in the sun. She seems fine in the morning and the evenings for the most part but mid day when its hotter she will run from shade to shade and fight me to walk anywhere in the sun. Is there a good way to help her get used to the sun a bit because it makes it hard for me to walk her and get her some exercise during the short time I'm home with her. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Sun shy Xena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun shy Xena    Sun shy Xena  EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 6:06 pm

What kind of surface is she walking on? Pavement? If so, it could be the sidewalk is too hot for her pads.
Back to top Go down
kmm0911
Newborn
Newborn
kmm0911

Sun shy Xena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun shy Xena    Sun shy Xena  EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 6:13 pm

its pavement and grass. I know its the heat that she doesn't like but I just want to help her get used to it. Also, she is much more willing to walk in the sunlight if the sun is to her back rather than in her face. I don't want her to think she is never going to have to walk in the sun. We try and take her out to get her as comfortable to it as possible. Just looking for some possible tips on helping out.
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

Sun shy Xena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun shy Xena    Sun shy Xena  EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 6:23 pm

If the pavement is too hot for her pads, you could try as best you can to keep her on the grass. They also have booties you can buy. You could also try Musher's Secret, which is a wax that you put on the pads.

If she truly doesn't like the sunlight, my only suggestion would be to walk her for maybe 5 minutes at a time and work up from there as she hopefully adjusts. If the sun is too bright for her eyes, then I would continue to try to walk her while the sun is at her back as much as you can. They also sell doggles if you want to go that route.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

Sun shy Xena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun shy Xena    Sun shy Xena  EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 pm

I agree with what Beth as said.. but I was thinking that the fact she doesn't like walk with the fun in front of her could be cause she has blue eyes and blue eyes are more sensitive to sun..

added : Maybe you can get her some goggles.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sun shy Xena  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sun shy Xena    Sun shy Xena  Empty

Back to top Go down

Sun shy Xena

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1