It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

That one about college...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

That one about college... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 9:07 am

Pet insurance may be a really good thing for someone young like yourself who doesn't have much money saved up to cover emergency/unforseen vet bills.

FAFSA, as has been said, is tricky. I applied for for FAFSA when I was in college since I was paying my own way through college with no financial help from my parents. My dad's salary alone (even though it wasn't in the triple digits) caused me to be denied, that's not to mention my mom's salary which wasn't even included in my application. I had other scholarships which paid for a great deal of my college expenses, however the money ran out after 3 years and after that it was like getting hit with a ton of bricks when I was taking on the full expense myself while living alone and making it entirely on my own.

Honestly, even if you already have/had a girlfriend I would NEVER count on that in your decision making process. Things can change, people split up, and you just can't absolutely count on that extra help or income without a shadow of a doubt. Yes, it would be really nice, but not 100% something you can always count on (family is a different scenario).

Another word of caution, I planned on living at home throughout my college years to save money, but then after 2.5 years I decided to switch majors. Problem for me was my new major of choice was not offered at my University so I had to move 3 hours away from home to attend a University that did offer my major. It wasn't something that I had planned on at all, but as I said before, life throws unexpected things our way that we may not have ever planned on encountering. It certainly threw a wrench in my plans and made life a hell of a lot harder for me, although I am a better person for it today. I know I keep using myself as an example and I totally get that your situation can, and probably will be, completely different...but I guess my point is that unexpected things can come up outside of just the emergency vet bills and health issues that are so often brought up. You're so young with so many opportunities available to you, it's hard to know now where life will take you in the next 5 to 10 years.

Oh yeah, that new 5 lb Chihuahua puppy we've had for exactly ONE month as of today has cost us a good $2k already (all things combined: purchase price, vet visit, meds, food, toys, lead, harness, etc).

You're smart and seem very responsible, Aidan. I don't mean to be the wet blanket in this thread, far from it. I just like to play devil's advocate and while I totally think that you can make it work, I feel like such a mom in moments like this reminding you to be careful and look at all angles. I would love to jump in and say, absolutely you can do it, but the maternal and rational side of me says be careful and consider any and all possibilities. Like what if you can't get a college schedule that works out perfectly? What if you have to change majors to something your local college doesn't offer? What if you end up needing to move out into a place of your own and don't have the help of your parents/siblings? What if your work and school schedule leave you with very little free time to care for your new charge? How will you adapt to any of those scenarios or more? These are the things you'll want to think about and have some idea of a back up plan for if you decide to go ahead and get a husky in the near future.

Sorry, I think I am not helping but rather only making things harder for you but someone has to ask the tough questions. Razz I am positive no matter what you decide it will be the right decision for you and you'll make it work no matter what. You've certainly got my support either way.

Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 10:42 am

This is tricky. I'm about to go into my senior year of college and I got Pippa last August.

I've gotten some amount from FAFSA each year to help with books/living expenses/housing. It's definitely not cut and dry as for who gets what money, but definitely try if that's something you need. My dad makes a six figure salary, and I still got money.

Generally speaking, your schedule in college will probably be pretty flexible and customizable. I commuted one semester and got all of my classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. I have the same schedule this year, but I'll have an internship on Tuesday/Thursday/Friday. So while I won't be at school very much, I still won't have a ton of time for Pippa.
Internships are almost necessary these days though, depending on what field you want to go into. And if you end up getting any kind of medical degree you'll have to log hours...

And you have a job now, will you still be able to work in school? If not, how will you be able to afford a dog then? I don't know that it's possible to really save up enough money in the next two years to be sure you'll have enough for the dog all through college. Although I guess I don't know how much money you're making!

It's definitely a doable thing, but make sure you have a plan if you end up having a crazy schedule or not making the money you thought you would.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 10:55 am

I agree that internships are necessary, along with clubs/other activities. When I worked for Madison Square Garden, I was in the sports finance dept and we hired several accountants during my time there, and had interns every semester. Employers actually do look at stuff like internships and sports/clubs/activities, so I would recommend being as involved as you can in stuff like that. We also received calls from employers looking to hire past interns, so they actually do follow up on stuff like that. Katie is right, a degree isn't necessarily enough, so I highly suggest you find a way to be active and more involved. Weather that's the college paper or soccer, or something else. Smile Didn't mean for this to turn into career advice, but it should be something you factor into your time planning. I still think its doable, you will just have to be more organized and plan ahead.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 11:20 am

Internships make a huge difference in my experience when looking for a job after school. Some are paid though so you could potentially kill two birds with one stone there. Neither me nor my husband interned during school and we were slow to find jobs and to this day I'm still the only one with a job in the field that I graduated in.

The trick that I've found with the FAFSA is to apply as early as you possibly can. There are deadlines for certain aid and the sooner you get it in the more stuff you can qualify for. I was an only child and my dad made just above the cutoff for the big money for FAFSA but you should still get something as long as you get the application in early. Loans were my saving grace the last years in college. As much as most people don't want to take out loans, as long as you do your research on what loan you are getting, they can really help offset costs until you can work a good full time job. But definitely do your research on the type of loan.

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 11:56 am

Huskyluv wrote:
This is one of those areas that depends so much on the individual and the situation. What can work out brilliantly for some will be an absolute failure for others. .

I completely agree with Valeries entire post, but this part in particular.
I wanted a dog for years before i got my dogs. and even then, i was impatient and while i should have waited, i don't regret for a second getting them when i have.

It is important to remember a couple of things. Our dogs are our children. If you have them, you will make time for them. You will change your schedule around, you will take less classes, you will turn a 4 year degree into a 5 year degree so you can take care of them and have a job at the same time. You will make it work. And if you have family and friends that are willing to help, the better.

But i know personally, in college, it would have been extremely difficult. For one, i was a human biology and chemistry double major, so i took 1.5x the average courseload to get all of my credits done at a time. And i was also doing lab work, which is the only real way to get into grad school in my field. So for 6 out of 8 semesters, i was at school all day every day for like 12 hours a day. I didn't have time for an outside job (even though whenever i had free time i would start up at my old hs job again).

BUT, that being said. i am still a huge animal lover, i still needed animal companions in my life, so that is actually when i got involved with volunteering at the animal shelter. Several years later now and i am thinking about trying to go to vet school after my PhD because i realize, through working with animals on my free time, how much i love it, and how much good vets are needed out there. Whether that will actually happen, i don't know, but the point is that that experience in and of itself was enough to shape my current view on things. I would recommend doing that - volunteering, fostering, etc.

Right now i am in grad school. My last semester i got my two pups, bought a brand new house, was finishing up the rest of my classes for my PhD, took my candidacy exam, was doing lab work. it was tough, and stressful. But, since i really wanted a dog, because i had the house, i made it work. Should i be spending more time in lab? yeah, probably. But, i am happier now having a pup and i know i need to work smarter, not longer.

I agree with what everyone says about waiting for a few years and seeing what it is like when you are already in college. It depends on your schedule and how you work, and how much time you will have. another thing to keep into consideration, is that people tend to travel alot while in college, go oversees, go to spring break, etc. Those aren't necessary "party" things but really good life experiences (i think, i didn't actually do any of that) and that can be extremely difficult with dogs. You are young, there will be plenty of time to have dogs. But i also really udnerstand the impatience. goodluck.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Everyone has given really good advice, and it really comes down to each situation is different. Here is mine:

We were planning on getting a puppy once I started grad school because we were finally living in a house and the flexible schedule would allow me to do mid day potty breaks. There ended up being a litter that we got Bode from that would be ready before I started school, when both my boyfriend and I were working 9-5's. We made it work for those weeks and then school started. My schedule wasn't as easy to get home as I expected it to be, but we made it work. I had been living without a dog for 4 years between moving out for college and starting grad school and I was tired of if. The biggest benefit for me of having a dog specifically during school has been the emotional support and stress relief, as I have some stress and anxiety issues.

Now to note: I am very fortunate to have a partner who is working full time while I am in school, so that helps financially. Also, my parents only live 45 min away and my mom works in the city in which I live, so they are readily available for pet sitting and such.

There are ways to make it work, though you may need to sacrifice some things as others have said.
Back to top Go down
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:15 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
The biggest benefit for me of having a dog specifically during school has been the emotional support and stress relief, as I have some stress and anxiety issues.

100% agreed.

That was a major influence when i started volunteering. A compromise almost.

One thing that i want to point out. It is not something i think you will do since you are really putting alot of thought into this decision, but i learned happens fairly frequently. There are alot of college kids that get dogs while they are in college and they think they can take care of them. Once they graduate they end up moving to a place with a job and can't get a place to live that takes pets that they can afford, or they move back home and their parents wont let them have dogs, etc. After graduation there tends to be an extremely high shelter surrender rate.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:50 pm

With you living at home, it should be doable. I go to school full-time (12 credit hours) and work full time (9-5). I spend roughly $100 a month on Juneau.

Financial Breakdown:
$50 food
$50 treats, bones, bully sticks

I use essential oils for fleas and ticks. Bought in summer 2012 and still using them today $~25 (Amazon)
I use Ivermec for heartworm protection. One time bottle for about 50 or so uses - $45. (Amazon)

I'm also planning to buy some Fish Oil capsules and Coconut Oil from Wal-mart or Amazon. ~$20

There are a lot of start-up costs when you first own your Husky, so you should probably get these ahead of time before you even adopt him/her!
$50-108 Crate
$10 Bowls
$15 Leash (Mine was $30 - Ruff-Wear Knot-a-leash)
$15 Collar (mine was $22 - Ruff-Wear Knot-a-Collar)
$~30-80 Food (about once every 6 weeks)
$10-15 Sealed Food Container
$10 Shampoo
$10 Nail Trimmers
$20 Puppy Harness (adjustable harness for growing up and secure in the car)
$10-30 Brushes (I have an Oster undercoat rake and a flea brush - Amazon)
$~0-40 Toys, bones, bully sticks, treats (I spend this about monthly)
$20 Herm Sprenger Prong Collar (Amazon) Method I use for walking
$15 Gentle Leader Head Harness (Amazon) I also use this for walking sometimes
$45 for 3 doses of Frontline/K-9 Advantix (if you decide to use this flea method)
$50 for 6 months of heartworm treatment (Heartgard Plus- I use Ivermec instead)
$30 6 Capstar Pills (just to have on hand incase your husky gets fleas - not as poisonous as frontline or other topicals)
$15 Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (put 1 tablespoon in food every other day for flea prevention)
$50 Walky dog bike attachment (for those not so hot summer months of pulling exercises)
$35 customized x-back harness from alpine outfitters for pulling

I am sure I am missing a few things. If you get a head start on those, you would be pretty set for a while. When I first got Juneau, I spent about $800 in the first month I had her (including her adoption fee). You have to spend about $70 each time they go in for their shots (which will be twice for you if you adopt at 8 wks). Then once a year for $70 (rabies, parvo, distemper, etc).

I have plenty of money saved up in case we have to make an emergency trip to the vet. I also have a college credit card (you should look into this too) as a SECOND back-up for an emergency trip to the vet.

Now for time... As others have said, try to take MWF or T/TH classes. Some classes even meet once a week! Online classes are a plus as well. You just have to be VERY MOTIVATED.

I work 9-5 monday-friday. Some classes meet during the evening for 3 hours. Some meet during the day for 2 hours. It really just depends. I am fortunate that my college has a nice availability for times with their classes. I adopted Juneau in summer so I could spend as much as I could with her in her critical puppy stage. When I was at work/school, she would be in her crate with a bully-stick or stuffed kong (or with me at work). Now she behaves enough to have free range. Smile

Luckily, I am able to do homework at work and leave early for classes. Some jobs might not allow this. I spent about 3-5 hours a day on homework, sometimes more. I still had time to take Juneau for her walk and play with her. The dog park is a nice place to let them run free and chase other dogs. An hour is good enough for Juneau, but I stay there for longer than that.

As far as my social life goes, I hang out with a husky rescue group. That way, I get some socialization and so does Juneau! LOL.

Read reviews of professors at http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/

Apply for scholarships: http://www.zinch.com/scholarships has a ton. If you make a profile about yourself, it even matches some for you!

I take advantage of FAFSA. It pays for my whole tuition (it's only about $700 a semester - yay for community colleges!) and I get some back. Don't rely on this, however. My first year I had to fork out some cash.

RENT YOUR TEXTBOOKS! I save about 75% by doing that. I spent $150-200 last semester for 4 classes on books. chegg.com and collegebookrenter.com rents textbooks to you. They give you a shipping label to send back too.

I know my write-out was long and I'm sorry. But it breaks down most of the things you'll have to plan around and think about.

You seem very mature for your age, I know you can do it!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 1:46 pm

Do you intend to adopt a puppy or an adult dog? That could make a difference in costs. It made a huge difference for us. My start up costs to adopt Kenzi was $500 including her fees, but she didn't need a crate, she came to me UTD on shots from the shelter, already fixed and I only have one collar and one leash for her. I could have spent less and she would have been just as happy and just as safe. She was already house trained so I don't have to worry about her having accidents in the place I rent and end up costing me my deposit. (Saves me over $700) Now I know you said you plan to live at home so that would only come into play if something that was said earlier happens and you change schools farther away. The sky is the limit on what you can spend on a furbaby, but they don't necessarily have to break you financially either if you get creative with the buying process and get that pet insurance. It's not the dog that will make you go broke, it's the vet that will.

Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 2:05 pm

As a college student for the past 10 years who has had a dog the entire time I can tell you it is TOTALLY doable- As long as you don't live on campus housing. (Yes, I've been in school for 10 years, I have a diverse set of interests and 2 undergrad degrees and a year away from my masters...I majored in Architecture, Automotive Technology, Business Management and Geology....ha ha ha) Honestly it isn't that bad to find off-campus housing that is less expensive than dorms anyways (IF your college allows first years to live off campus, some do not).

Shaqua just turned 11 year old so you can do the math and see most of her life has been spent with me in college. It has made her rather independent for a husky, but the trick is always give them attention when you can. I love being outside so I would go to the park with my homework and let her run around. She helped keep me in better shape too since college life isn't necessarily physically active enough to keep the weight gain off unless you are in sports.

The trick is to find ways to make it work for both of you. Know where the dog parks are, know where other parks are (I used to go to the baseball fields because they were fully fenced until they changed the laws so that I couldn't bring her there off leash anymore). Be flexible with your study habits- to be honest a different perspective while you are studying can help you understand the material all around rather than just memorize-regurgitate. BTW- that is the BIGGEST thing to learn about college. The goal isn't to learn the answer is B, it is to learn why the answer is B and how it actually works. You should be gaining a wealth of knowledge, not creating a memory bank to parrot others' ideas.

Now that I'm a graduate assistant I am able to bring Shaqua to campus with me occasionally when I hold study sessions for my intro to geology students. They all love to see her and she loves the attention and being able to go places with me.
Back to top Go down
AngelCocoaPup
Newborn
Newborn
AngelCocoaPup

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 pm

When I was in undergrad, one of the professors in my department would bring his dog to the office.  You'd be talking to him and there would be a dog curled up by his feet.  Another day, a professor from a neighboring department brought her dog in.  A harlequin Great Dane. Wow. Smile

I also had a dog in my later undergrad years, too, but a cairn terrier. It worked out pretty well, since I had the time to walk her daily.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 2:59 pm

So. Much. Good. Advice... *drools to death in advice and respawns
in advice heaven*

Huskyluv wrote:
Pet insurance may be a really good thing for someone young like yourself who doesn't have much money saved up to cover emergency/unforseen vet bills.

FAFSA, as has been said, is tricky. I applied for for FAFSA when I was in college since I was paying my own way through college with no financial help from my parents. My dad's salary alone (even though it wasn't in the triple digits) caused me to be denied, that's not to mention my mom's salary which wasn't even included in my application. I had other scholarships which paid for a great deal of my college expenses, however the money ran out after 3 years and after that it was like getting hit with a ton of bricks when I was taking on the full expense myself while living alone and making it entirely on my own.

Honestly, even if you already have/had a girlfriend I would NEVER count on that in your decision making process. Things can change, people split up, and you just can't absolutely count on that extra help or income without a shadow of a doubt. Yes, it would be really nice, but not 100% something you can always count on (family is a different scenario).

Another word of caution, I planned on living at home throughout my college years to save money, but then after 2.5 years I decided to switch majors. Problem for me was my new major of choice was not offered at my University so I had to move 3 hours away from home to attend a University that did offer my major. It wasn't something that I had planned on at all, but as I said before, life throws unexpected things our way that we may not have ever planned on encountering. It certainly threw a wrench in my plans and made life a hell of a lot harder for me, although I am a better person for it today. I know I keep using myself as an example and I totally get that your situation can, and probably will be, completely different...but I guess my point is that unexpected things can come up outside of just the emergency vet bills and health issues that are so often brought up. You're so young with so many opportunities available to you, it's hard to know now where life will take you in the next 5 to 10 years.

Oh yeah, that new 5 lb Chihuahua puppy we've had for exactly ONE month as of today has cost us a good $2k already (all things combined: purchase price, vet visit, meds, food, toys, lead, harness, etc).

You're smart and seem very responsible, Aidan. I don't mean to be the wet blanket in this thread, far from it. I just like to play devil's advocate and while I totally think that you can make it work, I feel like such a mom in moments like this reminding you to be careful and look at all angles. I would love to jump in and say, absolutely you can do it, but the maternal and rational side of me says be careful and consider any and all possibilities. Like what if you can't get a college schedule that works out perfectly? What if you have to change majors to something your local college doesn't offer? What if you end up needing to move out into a place of your own and don't have the help of your parents/siblings? What if your work and school schedule leave you with very little free time to care for your new charge? How will you adapt to any of those scenarios or more? These are the things you'll want to think about and have some idea of a back up plan for if you decide to go ahead and get a husky in the near future.

Sorry, I think I am not helping but rather only making things harder for you but someone has to ask the tough questions. Razz I am positive no matter what you decide it will be the right decision for you and you'll make it work no matter what. You've certainly got my support either way.

Yeah pet insurance is probably going to be a must. I'll have to look into FAFSA and student loans (yuck) as my parents wont be able to help me with anything outside of maybe books for the first semester and/or cosigning loans (double yuck). I never have had a girlfriend before in case anyone was wondering. It doesn't bother me too much, but I rather not have to lean on anyone besides maybe my family anyways until well after college so it works for me. I also didn't think about switching majors halfway through college, that really could be the nail in the coffin if it ever happens. I guess the only thing I could say to that is every major I currently want to pursue is right next to our house, although I understand that times change and it's such an unpredictable factor. The money side wouldn't really phase me right now since I've been saving up for awhile (although I don't have 2K just yet...) although in the near future if I don't save up most of my cash those starting expenses could be a problem if I wanted to get a dog in, say, college. I guess I'm just trying to desperately find a way to justify getting a husky sooner rather than later which is rather irresponsible but I'm soooo impatient and want to get a doggie noaw... D:

I really hope I wont have to move out before college is through and I will do everything I can to stay put, but life has it's ways I suppose. I don't blame you for "being a wet blanket" as I do need to be brought down to reality sometimes. Also the best way to plan is to prepare for the worst possible scenario so your advice is excellent and I really am grateful for your support! Very Happy

katiesham wrote:
This is tricky. I'm about to go into my senior year of college and I got Pippa last August.

I've gotten some amount from FAFSA each year to help with books/living expenses/housing. It's definitely not cut and dry as for who gets what money, but definitely try if that's something you need. My dad makes a six figure salary, and I still got money.

Generally speaking, your schedule in college will probably be pretty flexible and customizable. I commuted one semester and got all of my classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. I have the same schedule this year, but I'll have an internship on Tuesday/Thursday/Friday. So while I won't be at school very much, I still won't have a ton of time for Pippa.
Internships are almost necessary these days though, depending on what field you want to go into. And if you end up getting any kind of medical degree you'll have to log hours...

And you have a job now, will you still be able to work in school? If not, how will you be able to afford a dog then? I don't know that it's possible to really save up enough money in the next two years to be sure you'll have enough for the dog all through college. Although I guess I don't know how much money you're making!

It's definitely a doable thing, but make sure you have a plan if you end up having a crazy schedule or not making the money you thought you would.

Hm you raise some good points. Let me start off by saying that I should really look into FAFSA when I get a chance as I really don't know how much support I can get from them. I also really want to stay away from the medical degrees/jobs (my mom used to be a Nurse although she doesn't work anymore it's been enough to make me not want to go that route). Although honestly I would probably pursue an internship if my major was engineering; however if my major was in Physics, Biology, or something Math based then I'd probably end up being a teacher at a high school and I don't think they need internships. If I'm wrong though please correct me. I will be able to keep one of my two jobs throughout college and I'll probably get another job on campus since they're always looking to hire students. So I'm not too worried about having a job, it's whether or not I have enough money right when I need it two years down the road that has me a bit worried. I'll be honest with you though, getting a dog will probably throw a ton of stress on me especially when I go off to college, but I believe (or... hope...) that it's worth it. Thanks for sharing some of you information with me! :]

wpskier222 wrote:
I agree that internships are necessary, along with clubs/other activities. When I worked for Madison Square Garden, I was in the sports finance dept and we hired several accountants during my time there, and had interns every semester. Employers actually do look at stuff like internships and sports/clubs/activities, so I would recommend being as involved as you can in stuff like that. We also received calls from employers looking to hire past interns, so they actually do follow up on stuff like that. Katie is right, a degree isn't necessarily enough, so I highly suggest you find a way to be active and more involved. Weather that's the college paper or soccer, or something else. :)Didn't mean for this to turn into career advice, but it should be something you factor into your time planning. I still think its doable, you will just have to be more organized and plan ahead.

Well I was going to tryout for the Men's Soccer team and like I said earlier I'm not entirely closed to internships, but for some reason when you guys said "clubs" I thought you meant "bars where people go to aimlessly drink." I guess I could join a club or two as long as it doesn't take too much time away from my schedule (I'm actually already part of a college based club technically, but I wont go into that). Anyways I don't mind this being somewhat shifted into career advice, it's good stuff all around I need to learn about this sooner or later from a better source than articles/University websites. Thanks for the tips though! Smile

TwisterII wrote:
Internships make a huge difference in my experience when looking for a job after school. Some are paid though so you could potentially kill two birds with one stone there. Neither me nor my husband interned during school and we were slow to find jobs and to this day I'm still the only one with a job in the field that I graduated in.

The trick that I've found with the FAFSA is to apply as early as you possibly can. There are deadlines for certain aid and the sooner you get it in the more stuff you can qualify for. I was an only child and my dad made just above the cutoff for the big money for FAFSA but you should still get something as long as you get the application in early. Loans were my saving grace the last years in college. As much as most people don't want to take out loans, as long as you do your research on what loan you are getting, they can really help offset costs until you can work a good full time job. But definitely do your research on the type of loan.

I forgot about those paid internships, I would definitely jump on one if it screams "money" in college! Razz

That's a neat trick with the FAFSA thing, it seems that the same thing works with applying to college as well. I was talking to a college kid once and he said that he got accepted into his top choice university before his friends even started applying due to being proactive. Although as much as I hate to admit it I will be taking out loans, it stinks but I have no other way to completely pay for college. thank you for the neat tips and tricks! xD

LoveMyBrat wrote:

Huskyluv wrote:
This is one of those areas that depends so much on the individual and the situation. What can work out brilliantly for some will be an absolute failure for others. .

I completely agree with Valeries entire post, but this part in particular.
I wanted a dog for years before i got my dogs. and even then, i was impatient and while i should have waited, i don't regret for a second getting them when i have.

It is important to remember a couple of things. Our dogs are our children. If you have them, you will make time for them. You will change your schedule around, you will take less classes, you will turn a 4 year degree into a 5 year degree so you can take care of them and have a job at the same time. You will make it work. And if you have family and friends that are willing to help, the better.

But i know personally, in college, it would have been extremely difficult. For one, i was a human biology and chemistry double major, so i took 1.5x the average courseload to get all of my credits done at a time. And i was also doing lab work, which is the only real way to get into grad school in my field. So for 6 out of 8 semesters, i was at school all day every day for like 12 hours a day. I didn't have time for an outside job (even though whenever i had free time i would start up at my old hs job again).

BUT, that being said. i am still a huge animal lover, i still needed animal companions in my life, so that is actually when i got involved with volunteering at the animal shelter. Several years later now and i am thinking about trying to go to vet school after my PhD because i realize, through working with animals on my free time, how much i love it, and how much good vets are needed out there. Whether that will actually happen, i don't know, but the point is that that experience in and of itself was enough to shape my current view on things. I would recommend doing that - volunteering, fostering, etc.

Right now i am in grad school. My last semester i got my two pups, bought a brand new house, was finishing up the rest of my classes for my PhD, took my candidacy exam, was doing lab work. it was tough, and stressful. But, since i really wanted a dog, because i had the house, i made it work. Should i be spending more time in lab? yeah, probably. But, i am happier now having a pup and i know i need to work smarter, not longer.

I agree with what everyone says about waiting for a few years and seeing what it is like when you are already in college. It depends on your schedule and how you work, and how much time you will have. another thing to keep into consideration, is that people tend to travel alot while in college, go oversees, go to spring break, etc. Those aren't necessary "party" things but really good life experiences (i think, i didn't actually do any of that) and that can be extremely difficult with dogs. You are young, there will be plenty of time to have dogs. But i also really understand the impatience. goodluck.

I actually volunteer at an animal shelter too, but if anything it's made me more impatient. Really I'm torn between waiting a couple years or going for a husky in the next few months, although both sides seem to have an almost even number of pros and cons. Although I don't think I would go for a double major, partly because I can barely handle high honors in High School. I don't know why I would go overseas or anything like that though, traveling was something I was saving to do until after college if at all. If I get a dog before college I would obviously have his best interest in mind when planning for college, although all these unknowns are really annoying but it's a good thing I found out about now as opposed to two years from now, so thank you very much for that!

MGoBlue wrote:
Everyone has given really good advice, and it really comes down to each situation is different. Here is mine:

We were planning on getting a puppy once I started grad school because we were finally living in a house and the flexible schedule would allow me to do mid day potty breaks. There ended up being a litter that we got Bode from that would be ready before I started school, when both my boyfriend and I were working 9-5's. We made it work for those weeks and then school started. My schedule wasn't as easy to get home as I expected it to be, but we made it work. I had been living without a dog for 4 years between moving out for college and starting grad school and I was tired of if. The biggest benefit for me of having a dog specifically during school has been the emotional support and stress relief, as I have some stress and anxiety issues.

Now to note: I am very fortunate to have a partner who is working full time while I am in school, so that helps financially. Also, my parents only live 45 min away and my mom works in the city in which I live, so they are readily available for pet sitting and such.

There are ways to make it work, though you may need to sacrifice some things as others have said.

So it's one of those "In order to obtain anything something of equal value must be lost" things? I'm definitely willing to give up some of my current activities for pet ownership. Unfortunately I have no idea on what my personal situation will be like so the way I see it I have two choices:

1) Create/simulate an "average" scenario for myself based on what you have all told me and prepare for the worst.

2) Wait until my own situation has developed enough so that I could with certainty know what my college experience will be like.

Obviously choice number 2 is more logical, but I really don't want to wait that long if possible. ;-; Although thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to use it!

LoveMyBrat wrote:

MGoBlue wrote:
The biggest benefit for me of having a dog specifically during school has been the emotional support and stress relief, as I have some stress and anxiety issues.

100% agreed.

That was a major influence when i started volunteering. A compromise almost.

One thing that i want to point out. It is not something i think you will do since you are really putting alot of thought into this decision, but i learned happens fairly frequently. There are alot of college kids that get dogs while they are in college and they think they can take care of them. Once they graduate they end up moving to a place with a job and can't get a place to live that takes pets that they can afford, or they move back home and their parents wont let them have dogs, etc. After graduation there tends to be an extremely high shelter surrender rate.

I do know that if my mind doesn't change then I wouldn't send my hypothetical dog to a shelter, ever. I can also say that my parents are willing to let me have a dog in their house until I move out permanently so I wouldn't send a dog to a shelter based on housing issues either. All I can really do now is hope that I have a bit of good luck and get a nice, flexible college experience. Thanks again for your help! ^^

(from here on out I'm going to stop quoting posts or else my response will be too long... :c )

@VintageJeans: Yup those seem to be the basic things I'll need when first getting a husky or a dog in general. I should be able to handle the price tags with some internet bargain hunting. Also I will likely try to plan most/all of my classes for MWF which should be helpful to make some more time; and yes borrowing books will be a huge plus I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner! After I take the PSAT again and the SAT for the first time I'll probably start applying for scholarships, I might even start looking for some now, so the reference site is really helpful! Finally I really don't mind long posts, long posts equal more information for me to steal gratefully accept, thanks! Very Happy

@TwisterII: I'm trying to keep all my options open right now, but I am seriously leaning towards a pup despite the higher cost. I could get creative to make it a bit cheaper which I will probably do, but your right, those vets are evil! Wink

In all seriousness though I'm glad that there are so many of you willing to help me, it makes me really happy!

@CavingSiberian: 10 years? Wow that's amazing! If it came to the point where I would need to live away from home yet I went to the same school I believe they allow off campus housing. Anyways thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

@AngelCocoaPup: That's cool, maybe I'll really luck out and the professor will let me bring a husky to class, I am going to Uconn after all Razz (Although the odds of that happening are probably smaller than the odds of the world ending today...) Thanks for the tips! xD

I'm running out of ways to say thank you now, I'm gonna have to get more creative. Razz
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Do you know what you want to study? That can make a big difference. For example, my undergrad was in Architecture, which was way more time intensive than many other undergraduate degrees. I consider grad school to be less work and time intensive than undergrad now that I'm doing Urban Planning instead!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 3:37 pm

It really sounds like you are leaning towards getting a dog in the near future, and a pup at that. That's all well and good and now may be the best time to do it if you're not going to wait a number of years for college to become a reality or post college. If you get one now you will be able to get through the troublesome puppy and teenage years before you hit college and said dog has to spend more time alone. As you said, there are going to be pros and cons with any decision you make. Honestly, with the pup my hubby and I just got, we faced a similar scenario in that we were going to either get one now while I have a few months left to train and work out any issues before our second baby is born. Or we could wait a couple years until baby #2 was a little older (think toddler) and not quite as demanding as a baby. Ultimately we decided that we knew what the present held and could manage with a pup before the baby comes along and rocks our world. Being a stay at home mom, time is not so much a concern for us, nor is money as we have more than enough saved up to cover almost anything life throws at us. I may comment on bills and money at times but that's because we don't like to touch our savings, not because we don't have the money. As you are well aware the cost of a puppy is generally substantially more than an adult, but if you can afford it, more power to you. Good luck with your decision, I have a feeling there will be a new puppy joining our ranks soon. Wink 

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Really, Val? Getting another Sibe?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 4:45 pm

mbarnard0429 wrote:
Really, Val? Getting another Sibe?

I think she meant Aidan's presumably soon-to-be pup.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Yeah, I was referring to Aidan adding a pup. Razz 

Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 pm

I will most likely do something Science based, I'm not exactly sure what it will be yet, but I do know that it wont be Chemistry and I'll probably go for a Masters in whatever I'm doing. =P

You pretty much got that exactly right Valerie I am leaning heavily towards getting a puppy sometime this Fall/Winter (I feel really weird not calling you Mrs. [insert your last name here] D: ) Although if I do wait I will most likely go the rescue route for obvious reasons. I am worried a bit about the price, but I'll be picking up some summer work hopefully to make more cash between now and then so everything should work out all right. I think....
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Aidan, Sounds like you have gotten some great advice on college and getting a Sibe. I don't have much to add. I have a son who is in grad school going for a PHd in Physics he has always wanted a Siberian husky but decided it wouldn't work until he finishes up and get a job. He also has not had a girl friend during his 8-9 years of college. I can't wait until he finishes up and see where he ends up.. I believe he will be getting a Husky after he gets settle.

Good luck with you future you seem to have a very sound head on your shoulders.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 6:29 pm

I can honestly say, I wish I would have waited. I am a very impatient person; that is why I have three dogs. I'm not planning on staying where I am now, and the dogs throw a major loop into the plan. You have to CONSTANTLY think about what you are going to do with said dog. I'm going to Warped Tour in KS on the 23rd, and I am stressing out hard core about what is going to happen to my dogs. While you will be living at home, the puppy will/is NOT your families responsibility..remember that. Of they are on board to help, all the better. But remember, it is your dog.

I do not regret my decisions to get Kennedy and Sheba and to foster, but I should have waited. Your social life is SERIOUSLY constricted. I work, and I stay at home. It sometimes sucks, but it's what we do. We sacrifice for our babies. You have to decide what is and isn't worth it. While you might not go out now, you will more then likely want to. You will make friends. Just remember that.

Try to think about where you will be at in 5-10 years. No matter what you choose, you will be in for a wild ride Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 8:28 pm

AMB wrote:
I will most likely do something Science based, I'm not exactly sure what it will be yet, but I do know that it wont be Chemistry and I'll probably go for a Masters in whatever I'm doing. =P

Might I suggest geology? LOL I love my job/school right now and it has one of the lowest unemployment rates for college degrees.

I agree with Val- If you get the puppy it would be best to get one soon so you can have them trained an ready to be more independent when you get into college. Shaqua was a little over a year old when I started college. I think if she had been younger it would not have been so much fun.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 pm

ljelgin wrote:
Aidan,  Sounds like you have gotten some great advice on college and getting a Sibe.   I don't have much to add.  I have a son who is in grad school going for a PHd in Physics he has always wanted a Siberian husky but decided it wouldn't work until he finishes up and get a job.  He also has not had a girl friend during his 8-9 years of college.  I can't wait until he finishes up and see where he ends up.. I believe he will be getting a Husky after he gets settle.

Good luck with you future you seem to have a very sound head on your shoulders.

Your son is probably smarter than me then, or at the very least he knows how to be patient. I really don't know how I would hold out for another 4 years though when I could barely stand one year, it's a huge problem of mine that I'm going to have to work on...

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
I can honestly say, I wish I would have waited. I am a very impatient person; that is why I have three dogs. I'm not planning on staying where I am now, and the dogs throw a major loop into the plan. You have to CONSTANTLY think about what you are going to do with said dog. I'm going to Warped Tour in KS on the 23rd, and I am stressing out hard core about what is going to happen to my dogs. While you will be living at home, the puppy will/is NOT your families responsibility..remember that. Of they are on board to help, all the better. But remember, it is your dog.

I do not regret my decisions to get Kennedy and Sheba and to foster, but I should have waited. Your social life is SERIOUSLY constricted. I work, and I stay at home. It sometimes sucks, but it's what we do. We sacrifice for our babies. You have to decide what is and isn't worth it. While you might not go out now, you will more then likely want to. You will make friends. Just remember that.

Try to think about where you will be at in 5-10 years. No matter what you choose, you will be in for a wild ride Very Happy

Yup, my (hypothetical) dog is my responsibility, got it. I will probably want to do a lot of things once I get to college to be honest. However currently on my list of priorities getting a Husky is higher than a ton of friends, traveling to places like Vancouver, shiny new tech, etc. Either way you're right, wild rides shall be given out freely in the next 5-10 years.

CavinSiberian wrote:

AMB wrote:

Might I suggest geology? LOL I love my job/school right now and it has one of the lowest unemployment rates for college degrees.

I agree with Val- If you get the puppy it would be best to get one soon so you can have them trained an ready to be more independent when you get into college. Shaqua was a little over a year old when I started college. I think if she had been younger it would not have been so much fun.

Geology eh? I never thought about it much, it might be a nice ides to try out though; I'll check it out on Bureau of Labor Statistics' main site. Although I was thinking more along the lines of Biology or Physics. Razz

Yeah at this point if i goes the puppy route will would be soon rather than later for me.
Back to top Go down
MattnSparty311
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-07-24

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 8:14 am

Alright! I love this post! I will be leaving for my sophomore year at Penn State come the end of August and I just adopted an 8 week old. My parents and all their friends are saying how I won't have time to raise the dog properly (and even I was starting to get nervous if I could or not) but now I know I most certainly can do it!
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 11:44 am

a lot of great info on here, but i would disagree with one thing, my gf and i have three pets one being a young sibe pup, and the gf goes to school full time and i work full time. and we have not had to give up our social life at all, the dogs come with us every where we go, ya sure we cant go out and get drunk all the time (if you call that a social life) but we always get out still and do things every weekend, im not saying it wont cut back some things like trips where your gone for a bit or long days at the beach then friends , but you can easily still manage a social life.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 12:23 pm

MattnSparty311 wrote:
Alright! I love this post! I will be leaving for my sophomore year at Penn State come the end of August and I just adopted an 8 week old. My parents and all their friends are saying how I won't have time to raise the dog properly (and even I was starting to get nervous if I could or not) but now I know I most certainly can do it!

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that. Stories like this are going to be the ones which help me make my final decisions and I know now that it is certainly possible, thanks. Very Happy

moto1087 wrote:
a lot of great info on here, but i would disagree with one thing, my gf and i have three pets one being a young sibe pup, and the gf goes to school full time and i work full time. and we have not had to give up our social life at all, the dogs come with us every where we go, ya sure we cant go out and get drunk all the time (if you call that a social life) but we always get out still and do things every weekend, im not saying it wont cut back some things like trips where your gone for a bit or long days at the beach then friends , but you can easily still manage a social life.

Ahahaha I don't like alcohol so I wont be going to a bar much anyways. It's a great thing to know that a social life is still possible though, for me that means playing soccer and video games but it's better than nothing. Razz

Thanks for the information!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

That one about college...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-