It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

That one about college...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

That one about college... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 1:09 pm

i should also add in, that at the moment were careful where we take her due to her age, but we go out on the boats and cook outs and bonfires. still see all of our friends , i think we put a hold on to 1-2 friends just waiting for shots but once our shots are finalized then well have no problem seeing them
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but when I referred to a social life I met something a little more specific to Aidan's situation. He'll be commuting to school, and I just envisioned one of those situations where classes are done for the day, and a group of friends wants to go out, not necessarily drinking, or there is a spontaneous post class or night time activity that he can't go to because he has to drive home to take care of the dog. He won't be able to just pop home, take care of the dog and pop back out. I also imagine he'll feel a little more pressure to take care of his pup and feel obligated to turn things down. Smile It will take a bit more planning on his part to make it happen, but it's definitely doable.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 1:34 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but when I referred to a social life I met something a little more specific to Aidan's situation. He'll be commuting to school, and I just envisioned one of those situations where classes are done for the day, and a group of friends wants to go out, not necessarily drinking, or there is a spontaneous post class or night time activity that he can't go to because he has to drive home to take care of the dog. He won't be able to just pop home, take care of the dog and pop back out. I also imagine he'll feel a little more pressure to take care of his pup and feel obligated to turn things down. :)It will take a bit more planning on his part to make it happen, but it's definitely doable.

I was referring to similar. When I discussed "social life", in my head that includes extracurriculars such as clubs, sports, and committees. Some of my most enjoyable times with friends from my Master's Program has come from a few of the student committees I am on. I never did any of those things in undergrad, so I'm now just realizing how big of a difference they can make. But still, puppy + school = doable if you have your priorities straight!
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 1:44 pm

oh yea i understood both, i just also wanted to state that there is still a life, it just includes bringing the dog with you now... instead of drinking it would have been better said "going out" cause obviously you dont have to drink to go out... lol... but all in all you can still have a social life but like every one said, it takes planning with both managing classes and your dog
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 1:46 pm

That's fine with me, to be honest just going out there and doing classes could be considered a social life by my standards so I'm not really worried about that. I also don't mind taking a dog with me everywhere, I prefer it actually. Very Happy

Just thought I'd leave this here since everyone I've talked to says it's true:

That one about college... - Page 3 Life
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 1:52 pm

that is completely true haha... but yea the gf is more then content with just going to her classes she gets out of the house and gets to talk to people, im the one who always wants to go out and do something (im at work all week and their just not as fun...lol...) and for me personally, if i cant bring my dog, i dont care to show up
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Ha ha, now add a dog into those equations! I know for me I was glad I waited until after college to get a dog. I didn't have a social life due to going to school full time and working whenever I wasn't in school and even then I didn't get much sleep. My college "social life" consisted study groups outside of class, hanging out with friends for lunch or dinner after or between classes (I wasn't a drinker), and the occasional dates on the weekends. Could I have made it work with a dog? Yeah, but I would have had to sacrifice so much more than I already was. But as has been said, every persons situation is different.

I mean hell, I know people who had kids in their teens who look back and couldn't imagine life being any other way. Yet I also know so many people who waited to have kids until after college and marriage who also couldn't imagine being able to have kids any earlier. I know kids and dogs are vastly different but I think it goes to show the point that people adapt and make things work no matter the situation or what they decide to do or what unexpected things life throws their way. When you have a dog or child to work around you just find a way do it. When you don't have said dog or child, you have the extra freedom to do other things and take on more classes or more work or more outside activities be they school clubs, volunteering, internships, or just going out for food and/or drinks or other places that are not exactly pet friendly.

Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Ha ha... I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but Shaqua used to come with me to my "social events" when she was younger. And yes, that included "gravel roading". I don't know what you guys call it- some areas call it back roading, others call it road triping. Basically it's when you are young and stupid and you bring your recreational beverages on the road and just drive all night. Of course this was back in the days gas was $1 and some change per gallon......

...Yes, Shaqua sat in the back seat. She still enjoys going for car rides to this day. .... she also likes beer, but... I try not to give her more than a couple cap fulls every few months... HA HA
Back to top Go down
moto1087
Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:49 pm

yea i dont know what it is about beer but rikku goes nuts for it, i have never given her beer but ill let her play with the cans and bottles before i open it and she goes crazy, tried it with a pop can and didnt care for it...lol..
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 pm

Haha beer, I'll never understand why people could like such a bitter drink. Same goes with coffee too, if I want to go crazy I'll just have some Mountain Dew. xD
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 4:02 pm

My sibe loves beer also, hubby let's him lick the little bit at the bottom of his glass.

Aidan, my hubby used to say the same thing about beer until he found his preferred beer. You may just not have found the type you like yet...which is good since you're not really supposed to be drinking anyway. Wink 

Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
My sibe loves beer also, hubby let's him lick the little bit at the bottom of his glass.

Aidan, my hubby used to say the same thing about beer until he found his preferred beer. You may just not have found the type you like yet...which is good since you're not really supposed to be drinking anyway. Wink 

im sure rikku will get in to mine at some point by like us 9.5 weeks is just too young and she needs to wait till shes older 21 weeks maybe lol...

and agreed, i hated beer for the longest time, then i found beer i enjoyed, and also began to enjoy beers i didnt before,
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 pm

AMB wrote:
Haha beer, I'll never understand why people could like such a bitter drink. Same goes with coffee too, if I want to go crazy I'll just have some Mountain Dew. xD

I didn't like beer when I was your age either. Of course my first drink was Zima.... do they even make that anymore??? I didn't used to like coffee, but I started drinking it when I was 16 working at a grocery store. We could have free coffee from the deli and being on register one in the winter was just miserable.... Hot coffee helped. Smile I love it now..... no sugar, just a little heavy whipping cream.

I've never liked Mountain Dew... I can tell you exactly why, too. Does anyone remember Pepsi Points? You could collect the points on the stickers on the bottles and redeem them for prizes like hacky sacks (or the famed advertisement to get a Harrier Jet if you saved up 7 million points as a joke and there was a lawsuit about it... LOL...WIKI HERE).

Well my brother and I would get bored while my parents were working (they ran a Western Auto in rural Missouri) so we would wander around the alleys and streets picking up trash, and collecting the pepsi points in the process. Guess what the Mountain Dew bottles were notoriously filled with in a small country town full of farmers and cowboys? Yepp......ewwwww

Well, that ruined the Dew for me.... of course the excessive sugar content doesn't really do anything for me either.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 4:45 pm

You guys are beginning to scare me, I don't want to like that stuff. (the only time I had bear was 5+ years ago... I never want to have it again >.> ) Coffee I can sometimes drink if it's loaded with sugar/milk though. Razz

Shame that Mountain dew was ruined for you though, I like it along with almost any other type of soda and even though we don't buy soda I can use it to wake myself up in long car rides...
Back to top Go down
TesiaGolec
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: So Helpful!!   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:13 pm

I am in college too, have been for about 2.5 years. I'm about to transfer to a bigger school and hopefully get a place with a better yard. I've been thinking about getting a rescued husky if the living arrangements and class schedule/work/internships works out, because while I may have roommates I might not be able to count on them to help with a dog(don't know them yet. >.>). I'm an engineering major, and so I definitely agree that you have to go through at least a semester and be sure that you have the time. I am also antisocial, and so parties don't interest me as much as good TV. However, the difficult thing here is to remember that what you're going to be doing will always change from college student to intern to professional. Sometimes I think that if there is a will to have a husky, then there is a way. Just be sure it is what is best for the dog, and for yourself. Here is the only advice I can give, as I am probably in the same boat:

1. Once accepted to the college of your choice, start looking at how you're going to pay for school and necessities. (food, rent, etc.) Since there is no way I'm living on campus, this is a huge thing for me. Financial aid can help, but not everyone. Talk to a financial aid officer at your school, and see if they can help you find scholarships and grants.
2. Register for classes and get schedule down. Once you have this, it is easier to assess whether or not you have the time for a job or a dog or whatever. Work study through the school, where available, can be a huge help because it is pocket cash that doesn't take up too much time.
3. Get through a semester or two. Having been through about six, I can tell you the work load varies from class to class. A great indicator is the amount of credit hours the class is. A three credit hour philosophy class is gonna be a breeze, but a five credit hour chemistry class is going to challenge you a bit more. Try to even out the semester and block the schedule (MWF).

Once you (and me  Very Happy ) find that there is enough time, resources (money, living arrangements), and energy, a husky is definitely possible. Any advice anyone can give me on this as well would be great! Especially about rescues. Good luck, and even if it isn't today, never stop dreaming of your dream dog. One day, guaranteed, that dog can and will be yours.
Back to top Go down
ICRedz
Puppy
Puppy
ICRedz

Female Join date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 9:54 am

TesiaGolec wrote:

3. Get through a semester or two. Having been through about six, I can tell you the work load varies from class to class. A great indicator is the amount of credit hours the class is. A three credit hour philosophy class is gonna be a breeze, but a five credit hour chemistry class is going to challenge you a bit more. Try to even out the semester and block the schedule (MWF).

As a caveat, don't always bank on credit hours as an indicator for workload. Some gen ed courses that should be a breeze wind up being ridiculously tedious due to a professor who's determined not to have you blow off his/her class. Also, sometimes the 1 or 0 credit classes are the hardest (sleeper classes). For example, I was in a one-credit Art Internship course (after switching my major to Chemistry, I thought it would be "fun" to finish my art classes with a bang), and they told us it would require four hours outside of class each week, max...Well, needless to say, it was much closer to 20+ hours a week, and it didn't help that I was nominated to be the Art Lead. Making a video game for that class was fun, but super tedious, especially combined with researching, Organic Chem, and Inorganic Chem.

Each semester/year/major/professor is different. It can be tricky, but I'm sure you'll work it out!

If you have any questions about school, feel free to ask. :)I've gone through undergrad (summer school each year due to switching schools, then switching majors), graduate school ("accelerated Master's in one year), and now I'm getting through medical school. Very Happy

EDIT: I was one of those people who had a ridiculous schedule each week (several 3-4 hr labs, or while I was an art major, several 3-4 hr studio sessions) plus the other classes I had to get done. I still had time to exercise, attend extra curricular meetings, and play copious amounts of video games.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Just read every post in this topic although i realized its quite old i still find the last few to be quite hilarious seeing as i thought i just had a crazy sibe Nala LOVES beer, one time it had spilled on the ground and she licked some of it and ever since then she just smells it and jumps for joy! ;D @Aiden i don't blame you for not liking coffee or beer i promise i was the same way! now i live on coffee sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day is BORING! as for college though i know you already go some great advice but i have Nala my fiance and i live at home with his father i work 12 hours a day that including school for 4.5 hours and Colton works 9-10 hours a day with an hour lunch break we are so lucky that his father now is able to be with Nala during the days while we are at work and school, and his father really enjoys Nala's company so he doesn't mind. It's very do able to work, go to school, and have a "social life" we just have everyone at our house everyone LOVES Nala shes a people pleaser Wink Dont worry too much about it though now especially since you have a year or so left, so much changes in that time frame! take things day by day it all works out in the end!
Back to top Go down
TesiaGolec
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 5:16 pm

ICRedz wrote:

TesiaGolec wrote:

As a caveat, don't always bank on credit hours as an indicator for workload. Some gen ed courses that should be a breeze wind up being ridiculously tedious due to a professor who's determined not to have you blow off his/her class. Also, sometimes the 1 or 0 credit classes are the hardest (sleeper classes). For example, I was in a one-credit Art Internship course (after switching my major to Chemistry, I thought it would be "fun" to finish my art classes with a bang), and they told us it would require four hours outside of class each week, max...Well, needless to say, it was much closer to 20+ hours a week, and it didn't help that I was nominated to be the Art Lead. Making a video game for that class was fun, but super tedious, especially combined with researching, Organic Chem, and Inorganic Chem.

Each semester/year/major/professor is different. It can be tricky, but I'm sure you'll work it out!

If you have any questions about school, feel free to ask. :)I've gone through undergrad (summer school each year due to switching schools, then switching majors), graduate school ("accelerated Master's in one year), and now I'm getting through medical school. Very Happy

EDIT: I was one of those people who had a ridiculous schedule each week (several 3-4 hr labs, or while I was an art major, several 3-4 hr studio sessions) plus the other classes I had to get done. I still had time to exercise, attend extra curricular meetings, and play copious amounts of video games.

This is actually very helpful. I'll watch out for those sleepers. :PDid you have a husky in the middle of all of that? Most of my courses that are 5 or 6 hours have the most work, but I'm also just now getting out of the community college level. I'm wondering if I can handle the engineering university schedule and have a dog. Thanks for the advice, any more is super appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
ICRedz
Puppy
Puppy
ICRedz

Female Join date : 2013-11-23

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 pm

TesiaGolec wrote:

This is actually very helpful. I'll watch out for those sleepers. :PDid you have a husky in the middle of all of that? Most of my courses that are 5 or 6 hours have the most work, but I'm also just now getting out of the community college level. I'm wondering if I can handle the engineering university schedule and have a dog. Thanks for the advice, any more is super appreciated!!

My dad said when he went through his Electrical Engineering program (ya know, when the dinosaurs walked the Earth (and his yearly tuition was $2000!)) they had several sleeper classes. I didn't have my pup during undergrad or grad school, but I do have him now (7 months old) during medical school. Taking care of a dog can be done, but it's gotta be something you make time for. Fortunately for me, I also have my husband at home full time, so Achilles has a babysitter. Smile

If you want more advice, just let me know what you're curious about. I've been through all sorts of schooling, and it doesn't look like that'll stop anytime soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That one about college...   That one about college... - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

That one about college...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-