It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Going potty in cage problem... any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TartokTikaani94
Puppy
Puppy
TartokTikaani94

Female Join date : 2013-07-05

Going potty in cage problem... any advice? Empty
PostSubject: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 12:03 am

Okay, one of the few faults my dog has in going potty in her cage. The cage is in my bedroom and it really bothers me cause I just cleaned it and she did it again! I take her out often and only feed her at a certain time. Iv'e been trying to work with this since we got her but to tell you the truth I'm not 100% sure how to handle this... Any advice? How did you get your dog(s) to stop this? Shes house trained if I can get her out in time, If she don't show any signs then she just goes. I love training my dog and she can do all sorts of things so this would be a great help. Sad  By the way, the cage looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-iCrate-Single-Door-Crate-42-By-28-By-30-Inch/dp/B000OX64P8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374634460&sr=8-1&keywords=large+dog+cage
Back to top Go down
TartokTikaani94
Puppy
Puppy
TartokTikaani94

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 10:47 pm

No one here has any problem like this?
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:23 pm

Most dogs wont go to the bathroom where they sleep or eat, so its odd that your's does and I'm not really sure how to correct it. Karli never went in her kennel, it was the one place she didn't go. How long can she hold it for?
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Sophie goes in her cage all the time but she's still not house trained and will go in the house if she isn't put out right when she needs to go. Sadly i have no advice because i don't know how to get Sophie to stop doing this.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLove
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyLove

Female Join date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 1:05 am

Dakota did this for the 1st week when I got her, but it;s b/c the cage was soo big and she was little, so she would go in the back of the cage and still be able to lay in the front without laying in her mess... as soon as I figured this out, I but the divider in the cage to only give her enough room to lay down in (enough room to lay and easy turn around), that stopped it completely, she would not go potty in the place she slept, I would move the divider back as she grew, and eventually was able to take it out all together with no problems. Now she is completely crate trained and will hold it as long as she is in her crate. maybe that will help you.
ohh and I took out all her blankets too, b/c she was going on her blankets and I wanted to stop that .

Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
TartokTikaani94
Puppy
Puppy
TartokTikaani94

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I never really kept track of how long she can hold it. I know as long as I take her out to potty before I go to bed she will hold it threw the night/day (depending on when I'm sleeping lol) which is about 8 hours I think. Most the time she wont do anything if I'm in the room, only when I leave. I'll try to post a pic of her lying down in her cage later, maybe the cage is just to big. I do know I can't have any dog beds or blankets in the cage either cause she will either rip it up or just potty on them. Thanks for the advice everyone Smile @ MayaAndSophie: How old is Sophie? That's the same thing mine dose.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 am

TartokTikaani94 wrote:
@ MayaAndSophie: How old is Sophie? That's the same thing mine dose.

Sophie will be 2 in october. Her cage is too big for her but i have it divided so that she can only turn around, stand, and lay down. So the cage size isn't a problem for her...she'll still go in it even if it's small...
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 12:59 pm

Mine used to pee (and still does) if we leave him in his crate when we leave the house. We found out that he has separation anxiety though. If we are at home and he is in his crate, he never pees in there. We started crating him at night to sleep, and we started with the crate somewhere where he could still see us, and eventually slowly moved it a little bit every night farther and farther until we're no longer visible to him at night now. He will still whine a little bit. I'll wait to see if he stops, if he doesn't, then i'll just walk by, but pay no attention to him. Eventually, he just falls asleep.

BUT we are still not able to crate him when we're not home. Not even for 10mins. We have an area with a gate where we keep him so he has more space. It seems to calm him down a little bit more...
Back to top Go down
TartokTikaani94
Puppy
Puppy
TartokTikaani94

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 8:51 pm

TheBadGuppy wrote:
Mine used to pee (and still does) if we leave him in his crate when we leave the house.  We found out that he has separation anxiety though.  If we are at home and he is in his crate, he never pees in there.  We started crating him at night to sleep, and we started with the crate somewhere where he could still see us, and eventually slowly moved it a little bit every night farther and farther until we're no longer visible to him at night now.  He will still whine a little bit.  I'll wait to see if he stops, if he doesn't, then i'll just walk by, but pay no attention to him.  Eventually, he just falls asleep.

BUT we are still not able to crate him when we're not home.  Not even for 10mins.  We have an area with a gate where we keep him so he has more space.  It seems to calm him down a little bit more...

Sounds like you have a handful to. When she chewed her first  cage which was a plastic shipping crate like http://tinyurl.com/m6jtmx6
I didn't have the money right then to get a new cage so I left her in the bathroom guessing she wouldn't hurt much cause the floor was linoleum. Well after just 3 hours we came back from shopping and she had dug and chewed threw the linoleum and started ripping up the wood under the linoleum and dug at the door pretty good to. Needless to say my moms mother gave me her old rotty cage and that's what we have now.

We have a old baby gate we used for my brother that I put in the hallway so she don't run down and pop moms waterbed again. It only works if I'm in the house... if I leave, she jumps over it lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going potty in cage problem... any advice?   Going potty in cage problem... any advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Going potty in cage problem... any advice?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1