It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Raze
Newborn
Newborn
Raze

Female Join date : 2013-08-25

Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Empty
PostSubject: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I've been wanting to get a dog for awhile now but my hubby doesn't like the kinds of dogs I like Smile

While I have always loved the look of snow dogs I have reservations on their high prey drive (we have a cat), but that's the only kind he would like (he grew up with mainly Labs but the last dog his parents had was a Malamute).

We have they opportunity to buy Sib Husky/Belgian Shepard (long haired Black variety) cross puppy and was wanting advice from people with more experience Smile

I'm not an active person but my husband is a runner so I think exerciser wont be a problem.

We will be able to go back next week to make a decision or should we wait until they are older to decide? (and risk not being able to get the we like?)
I prefer to rescue but there is nothing around that is suitable, either they are small yappy dogs or mastiff crosses (which he hates).

And just for fun, here are the two we picked out (haven't decided yet which one) both boys. Eyes not opened yet (a couple of the girls where just starting top open).
Do you think they will get white masks of some kind or stay pretty much these colourings? Mum was a dark silver/pale grey with full white face with slight silver smudges under her brown eyes (owner said that some of her siblings had blue eyes). She is pure bred Husky but on the small side, even for a girl. Dad is a pure bred Belgian Shepard (the kind that is pitch black with long coat). Both lovely and not stand-offish at all.

Black one is all black with white patches, no shading except maybe a few white flecks around neck. (The only other dark one was a girl and similar but had smokey shading)
Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Eekg
Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Jk9w

This one has as white/cream undercoat and brown/tan at tips, darker along back and has black mask and tiniest spot of white on chest and tips of back feet. All the others in the litter looked like this but with various white markings (none on face, the only one with white on face was the black above).
Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... 2hxk
Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... B1jx
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Dad is probably a Tervuren, not a Malinois. They're a pretty driven breed as well, so you're not escaping or diluting that part.

I loved my Malinois, I have loved every Tervuren I've ever met, and I love my Huskies but they're all very different. It's really going to depend on the individual puppy. I think it's going to depend on what's more important to you... Getting a puppy based mostly on looks or waiting for their personalities to emerge a bit more and judge from there.

I wouldn't purchase (and by purchase i mean exactly that- not adopting) a puppy who was a mixed breed, I don't see the desire in it and I don't like that people think it's a profitable thing. I don't know the specific situation but that's generally how I feel about it.

Definitely a strong mix of smart working dogs.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Raze
Newborn
Newborn
Raze

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Dad is a Groenendael (the black version) I don't know much about this breed (my brother has a Malinos puppy and he is a handful Very Happy) I've been around German Shepherds, but have heard the Belgian is more sensitive?

I've never owned a snow dog breed myself or a Shepherd, but have owned Blue Heelers and grew up in a home with show dogs (Shetland Sheepdog & a Beagle) so I'm used to working dogs just not one as "full on" as a husky Smile
I hate designer dogs but accidents do happen so not opposed to owning a mutt just sometimes if the mix is too different, well I've seen too many put down.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 11:46 pm

You need to be prepared for the strong drive these dogs will probably have. Blue Heelers are far different than Sibes or Belgians (be whatever they are). I understand accident happen....but idk. I'm really put off by this whole thing right now. You need to research BOTH breeds. While yes, they are both damn beautiful breeds, there is MUCH more to them then their pretty looks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:14 am

A Groenendael is a Belgian Sheepdog and I would actually not recommend this mix for someone who has never dealt with these breeds. You have grown up with several very different breeds of dogs but none of which are comparable to what these two breeds are.

Not trying to sound like an ass or anything (and I'm sure that's how it sounds) but a dog is a lifetime commitment not something to purchase on a whim and Siberians and Groenendael are vastly different in what they were bred to do and their temperaments - which means you will really have no idea how these dogs will turn out in terms of temperament until they're adults.  Neither breed is recommended for first time owners (people with little to no experience with the breeds). 

Puppies are very cute and they sway the hearts when otherwise a clear mind would prevail.  It's important to pick a breed that actually fits in with your lifestyle and living arrangement - not because it's pretty.  Remember, all people in the household should be caring for and training/exercising the dog, not just one person.

My recommendation would be to pass on this entire situation and litter (it sounds like an impulse buy) and do much more research on breeds, get out and actually meet owners of the breeds you're interested in before you decide or you end up with a dog that was way too much.  It's important to be extremely realistic about what you can and cannot provide to a breed of dog.

Just my two cents and again, I'm not trying to sound like a jerk.  The internet and text can be a tricky place.

Also to answer the question about the open faces - they will never get the white, open faces associated with Siberian Huskies.  The blacks with dark faces will stay blacks and the others have melanistic masks that will always be dark (think of great danes - the black muzzles)

Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:06 pm

First off, if i may ask... what is your preferred dog? i don't mean looks or anything like that, i mean, temperment, activity level, personality... would you like a dog who just wants to play fetch, a lap dog, or a dog who you could run with for 10 miles a day, maybe a guard dog?

These are the thing's you should be asking yourself, because looks are... well meaningless tbh. if i may... im going to go a bit off topic for a minuet to kind of attempt to get my point im failing to make across.

My husky blu was some what of an impulse buy, i had been researching and reading all i could about huskies for 6 months straight, day in and day out. my best buddie in high school had two husky/mal crosses and they where amazeingly well behaved and fun dogs... and i wanted to have that dog i grew up with. however after all this research, talking to people, asking question after question and probably annoying just about every breeder and rescue volunteer in my area. i got blu from a guy in a newspaper adv, 200 bucks for a husky puppy before he got sent to a shelter... i grabbed him up and that was that, no second guessing just me thinking i finally got the dog of my dreams.

Fast forward 6 months, blu is quite a bit bigger, has developed some very nasty unwelcomed habits... and despite my best efforts to could not train them out of him. your probably wondering why... maybe i was useing the wrong training methods? nope, the reason was simple... i wasn't giving him the one thing he needed, leadership. it is the number one thing every dog needs, someone to look up to for directions and to show them what is acceptable and isn't acceptable, someone who is strong and firm... but at the same time fair and kind. i found out im not this type of person, im easily swayed and im likely to let him get away with thing's simply because i didn't think they where bad thing's. im the type of person that feels bad punishing theyre dog. im not talking physical punishment... something as simple as time out or not letting him play with his toys, while sometimes nessicary to get the message across that he did something wrong... i always felt bad doing it, and started doing it less and less until i stopped doing it at all.

Now because of this it doesn't mean i've given up my dog or just dropped him off at some shelter simply because he's too much trouble or work dealing with... instead i've looked at ways to better myself to be that leader he needs giving him structure and bounderies and affection/play with it is appropriate. i do this because the second i took him home i agreed to the responsibility that comes along with owning a dog... it's a commitment for the entire span of his life.

short version of my long winded story,

Be careful, research, research, research... and even more research. look into both breeds, talk to the guy who is selling them ask about the parents and they're personalities... it should give you a laundry list of possible thing's to expect from the pup. also look into other breeds, dont buy a dog simply because you guys like the look of them... also look at your lifestyle and make sure the pup will fit into your's. you say that your husband is a runner but you arn't, to me that comes off as saying "he'll be the one to exercise the dog and not me" you both need to exercise the pup... he should look up to you equally, exercising and doing activities with him is a great way to build a bond trust and respect.

So please i urge you, do some more looking around before you commit to this puppy... you say that you cant find a dog to rescue in your area because they are all dogs the two of you dislike... find the type of dog that does fit your needs, find a rescue for it and get one there. even if they are out of state most rescues can offer you free transport to your area.

None of this is ment to come off as offensive or any sort of an attack, it is just a warning and a share of my expirence and opinions in an attempt to help to make the right decision given your situation.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:55 pm

I personally would wait for the personality to come in on that mix. It's a very strong minded mix that will most likely be high maintenance physically and mentally.

I also wouldn't pay to get it. I would pay for the dog to be fixed and get shots as I would be paying for in any adoption fee at a shelter but I wouldn't buy a mutt. People are willing to give mutts away all the time and there are tons in shelters that need homes. If we start paying to get mutts like we do to get pure breeds then it's like giving people the okay to dilute breeds because we've shown we'll buy anything that sounds cool. That's just my opinion though. I've had mutts all my life and never paid anyone to get their accident and while I've loved my mutts and they've been great dogs, they never had the life span nor the health of the pure breeds that I've had under the same living conditions (not that that really means anything).

It sounds like you are used to smaller breeds and your husband is used to the larger breed. This dog has potential to be a large dog and if your husband goes away on work or something it will be you responsible for the dogs exercise and care and if you aren't active and involved with the dog's care even when your husband is around it could make it extra hard for you. My husband isn't really involved in caring for Kenzi and when I'm away she doesn't like to listen to him because she hasn't bonded with him nor feels she has to do what he tells her so she's a terror. There are many breeds out there with a wide range of personalities and functions and you will find the breed or combination that will fit both, and not just one, of you. Good luck!

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Where are you located? There are several Sibe rescues all across the United States. I can help you find one if you're looking to rescue a husky.

I am not going to comment on the cross between the two breeds because I personally don't have any experience with Tervurens. Kristina and Ceara really know their stuff, so please do listen to their advice.

I personally wouldn't purchase a puppy from this litter because of the varying outcome of personality in each puppy. You really wouldn't know which parent will 'come out' in each puppy until they're adults.
Back to top Go down
Raze
Newborn
Newborn
Raze

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Just to clarify, We would both be caring for any dog/puppy that we would get no matter what breed we end up with. Most likely I'd be the primary carer in everything except exercise (besides walks as I have a bad knee from a motorbike accident) and I am home most of the time (I only work 2 6hr days a week).

Thanks for the offer of help with a rescue VintageJeans but we are in Australia (your sig is adorable).

We are NOT looking for a dog based on looks.  And believe me my hubby is the King of researchers (he wont buy ANYTHING without researching it first).  We have a friend who has a Husky/German Shepherd who takes after the Husky side more (although bigger) and she is a wonderful "spirited" dog. This is why were were asking for opinions on this cross as there isn't anyone around us that knows anything much about the Belgian Shepherd besides what we read online.  Hubby really loved his Mal, she was a purebred but HUGE, taller than any male show Mal I've seen, closer to what I would call a "giant" dog (getting close to Great Dane height), but I would prefer a medium-large sized dog, I met the Dad of the pups and yes he is a "tall" dog, but not what I'd call huge Smile(smaller than a GSD which would be my upper limit in height).
Thank you everyone for your opinions. I will pass them onto my husband.

Edited to add: I used the word "buy" as I don't really see the difference between it and "adopt" as you still have to "pay" Very Happy (All my animals I've had in my adult life have been rescues from shelters)
Back to top Go down
Raze
Newborn
Newborn
Raze

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Thank you all for your imput, we did take everything into consideration.

Meet Chilli, he's now 12 weeks old and is everything we hoped for (we've had him for 4 weeks now).
Training has been pretty easy (tho he does have selective hearing sometimes Very Happy)
He's growing very fast and everyone he meets (vets, puppy school) loves him.

Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... W4ox
Back to top Go down
Javier77
Newborn
Newborn
Javier77

Male Join date : 2013-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Wow, my two favorites breeds mixed in one pup! He looks totally amazing, congratulations.He will make one hell of a dog for sure Very Happy Enjoy him!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Oh my, he is really cute.
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 3:23 am

Congratulations on a beautiful puppy.

May I suggest that you get in contact with Steve Courtney at K9pro - he is one Australia's best dog trainers and is also a breeder of Malinois. He should be able to draft you a training program and give you good advice on your puppy. I think his offsider is a Husky person.

I think Chilli is gorgeous and someone like Steve can guide you into rearing a well mannered adult dog.

http://www.k9pro.com.au/#
Back to top Go down
Raze
Newborn
Newborn
Raze

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks Javier77, techigirl78, Yonjuro :Dwe think he's cute too (maybe just a little biased)

Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Ty95
Back to top Go down
Raze
Newborn
Newborn
Raze

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2020 8:04 pm

I haven't been on here for a long time, just thought you might be interested in what he looks like at 6 years old.
Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Chilli10Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Chilli11

He's one of the best dogs I've had. He's great with all his commands except he doesn't have a reliable recall (he's pretty good most of the time but can be a bit naughty at the park because he doesn't want to stop playing with the other dogs).
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2020 9:14 pm

He's a beautiful dog with the same deep dark brown eyes that my Alaskan has. That "Yes daddy!" look in the first picture is something I'm used to seeing in other breeds but not my Huskies!

Good to see you drop back in and please, come back more often, eh??

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... EmptyThu Jun 18, 2020 12:39 pm

It is always interesting to see how they grow up. Happy to see things have gone well!

PostSubject: Re: Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...   Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross... Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice please - I have opportunity to buy Sib Husky / Belgian Shepard cross...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1