It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog Empty
PostSubject: Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog   Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 12:25 am

Loki is a pretty good puppy. Yet occasionally he barks, wimpers, or woos at my female dog Lexi. She does play with him and tolerates him mostly. He does not do this to my male at all, but they do not really play with each other.

Lexi often will have chew toy when Loki does this to her. She will ignore him sometimes. When she gets up and leaves the toy, he will pick it up and take the toy by her and kind of put it in her face. Then he will lay down and chew it. Though he often gets distracted and will get up. At which time lexi will sometimes take it back and start chewing. If they have exact same toy he lays right next to her and chews it. Sometimes he makes all the sounds when there is no toy.

We usually distract him with other toys. Just wondering if this is resource guarding or him playing? I have never heard him growl or snap at either of my dogs over food or toys. The most is this wooing.

Is distracting him best approach. Is this something he may grow out of with age?
Back to top Go down
bttlsgtmajor
Puppy
Puppy
bttlsgtmajor

Male Join date : 2013-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog   Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 8:12 am

It doesn't strike me as guarding, more as socialization/play initiation. Then again I'm not an expert and I don't currently have another dog with Nanook to see if he displays similar behavior. Just thought I'd give you some feedback. Someone else with multiple dogs might have a better idea though.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog   Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 am

I agree with Brandon, it sounds like play initiation and also typical puppy behavior. Well socialized older dogs will pretty much let puppies get away with anything, including stealing bones/toys. He will either grow out of it, or she'll correct him when he's older. It sounds like she is just very good and patient with the puppy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog   Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog Empty

Back to top Go down

Barking, wooing, and wimpering at other dog

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1