It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need help with Nanook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

Need help with Nanook - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Nanook jumps on the couch and does this full body slam against the back, over and over...not sure what he is doing but it is so funny to watch. He looks like he is just enjoying himself so much.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Oh lord, Dizzy is workin my last nerve tonight. He's in time out at the moment. I just got back from about a 45 min walk with him and he refused to go up the stairs. Sometimes he does that if he has to go to the bathroom. So I took him back out and he just poked around and lifted his leg and nothing came out. So I took him back in and he refused to go up the stairs again, so I just carried him halfway up and then he very slowly and reluctantly went up the stairs. Gr! Damn dog. Now he's whining because he's in time out. Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 11:12 am

Nanook has been in time out more the past few weeks then all the kids I use to take care of in my home daycare combined. Then when he gets out he goes right back to being naught to see if I am more tolerable of the behavior the 3, 4, 5th time around.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 11:18 am

Trailtoad1 wrote:
Nanook has been in time out more the past few weeks then all the kids I use to take care of in my home daycare combined. Then when he gets out he goes right back to being naught to see if I am more tolerable of the behavior the 3, 4, 5th time around.
lol! 

Your sock story was hilarious, I can totally picture it.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 11:19 am

hahah Jen! Gus is like that too sometimes on stairs! But i've never had to carry him before! I don't think i could if i tried anyways. He squirms and starts chewing my arm like crazy whenever i pick him up to weigh him.

Serena, what did Nanook do?

I've never actually put Gus in a timeout. I've just ignored him if he mouthes me while we're playing. Then he just stares at my hands with his ears pointed forward wondering where his toy went. It's so cute!!!!!

He does like to ignore me a lot... like, when i call him to come to me for some snuggles. He'll just look at me, and then look away. I wonder if that warrants a correction or timeout haha.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 11:31 am

TheBadGuppy wrote:
hahah Jen!  Gus is like that too sometimes on stairs!  But i've never had to carry him before!  I don't think i could if i tried anyways.  He squirms and starts chewing my arm like crazy whenever i pick him up to weigh him.  

Serena, what did Nanook do?  

I've never actually put Gus in a timeout.  I've just ignored him if he mouthes me while we're playing.  Then he just stares at my hands with his ears pointed forward wondering where his toy went.  It's so cute!!!!!

He does like to ignore me a lot... like, when i call him to come to me for some snuggles.  He'll just look at me, and then look away.  I wonder if that warrants a correction or timeout haha.  
I haven't picked him up like that in probably 4-6 weeks (aside from once a couple days ago), but I was just so annoyed. He was definitely surprised! He has a timeout command lol. I say 'go to your room,' and he puts his head down and slinks off to his area that I have baby gated and stands just on the other side of the gate with his head down.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Nanooks time out is just him behind the baby gate in the kitchen and we are in the livingroom. He hates not being RIGHT THERE with us so anytime he is not allowed in the same room his world is crushed. LOL He really is a giant baby about it too...but I guess he doesn't hate it enough to stop. Let see ...what does he do..He started doing this thing where he tries to trip us in the mornings...seriously ON PURPOSE...he comes up behind us bites at our feet then puts a leg in front of us and PUSHES with his head. All morning he does this so he ends up in time out because everyone is yelling at him to stop/ yelling at me to get him off...OMG mornings are so hectic. He completely loses his mind sometimes when he wants something...one track mind...you have to just make him calm down in another room. We have a window shelf in the living room, it big and he wants up in the window so bad....he is not allowed up there. So when he gets in his unstoppable mood he will climb up there, I will get him down, he will go RIGHT BACK UP THERE over and over and over...

OMG this morning .... I normally get up at 4:25am for bootcamp and but my back hurt this morning so I decided not to go so I stayed in bed for a little extra ZZZZs. The doggie door is right by the bedroom door and it is loud when he goes in and out. He started doing it this morning...in, out, in, out..I looked up to see what the heck he was doing and the darn dog was sitting there hitting it with his paw and staring at me...he was not going in and out, he was just being loud trying to get me out of bed LOL I miss the pup that use to sleep till 8am...I do not think he ever sleeps anymore!
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:06 pm

His nickname has gone from Nookie to El Diablo in a month LOL
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 12:13 pm

I feel much less blue now! It helps to laugh at their antics. The doggie door thing is pretty creative, gotta give him that at least. Nanook sounds too smart for his own good. Dizzy is now known as The Dizzy Monster and Dizaster.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 2:31 pm

HAHAHA the doggy door thing is so funny!!!
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 12:07 am

He is very smart...but ..yet so stupid LOL The doggie door thing creeped me the hell out. It was like he was telling me to get up or he was going to escalate things. El Diablo
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 1:59 pm

My husband took Gus to a pickup soccer game yesterday. Usually he is pretty well behaved, and will sit quietly tied to a tree or bench and just watch or chew on his toy. But not yesterday! NOPE! he decided that he REALLY needed company, and yelped and screamed and cried his head off. Apparently, everyone at the park was looking to see who was torturing this poor dog. Someone even came over to say that he was screaming because he was tangled in his leash. Which he wasn't. He was just being a brat!!!!
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Oh right. i forgot to mention that he almost chewed through his leash. It's hanging on by threads!!! He only chews when no one is watching too!!! What a sneak. We are now on leash #4!!!!
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Okay so Anna has been a little shit lately. Last Monday she chewed her collar, Wednesday she chewed through her harness. My best friend lives with us and Anna will take off, run under her bed, and WILL NOT come out. She also likes to scratch the bedroom door open so she can run, jump on the bed, and bark like a crazy dog. Anyone have any ideas for the bed thing. My boyfriend is leaving in January and we will have to get another roommate. What if she does it to the new roommate? I am kind of scared we aren't going to be able to find a new roommate with her actions. We try ignoring her, shutting the door, and walking away. We let her out like 5-10 minutes later. We also have to work on attacking everyone who walks in the door, it is getting ridiculous. We tried spraying her with a water bottle, ignoring her and turning away. She could careless, she continues to jump and act like a nut. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Well for starters we can't always control our dogs but we can always control our environment. If there is a problem area involving a certain room or bed, why does she have access to them?

Prevention is way easier than Reaction for getting results.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Well our bedroom she can open the doors. My friend only has to leave it cracked and she gets in. I understand prevention is easier but you don't always remember to do this or do that. I meant more along the lines of should we just continue to ignore her when she does it and put her in time out as soon as we get her out of the room?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:03 pm

She needs to know it's wrong. If she keeps doing it and you don't want her to and you ignore her, you lose.

If you must leave doors open or accessible for her then you need to start claiming space and enforcing boudaries. It took us around two months to do this with our bed but eventually we did it.

It sounds like she needs some discipline and less autonomy.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:10 pm

She could care less if I told her no, and then if you tell her down she just gets under our bed and won't come out. My boyfriend and I have to corner her and drag her out. So explain to me how you would discipline her? And leaving doors open isn't our fault, we rent and the idiots who built the house apparently didn't know doors were supposed to stay closed. I don't mind that she is on the bed but when I tell her out I want her out. That is the problem. She will just run under the bed run back up jump on the bed bark and repeat. She doesn't care what you do to her. Time out in a corner means nothing, telling her no or that her behavior is ugly doesn't work either. She doesn't care. She wants attention that is why I ignore her.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:11 pm

If she jumps on the bed and you ignore her, you lose; you talk to her, you lose; you say her name, you lose; you wrestle with her, you lose; you pet her, you lose; you laugh, you lose.

If she jumps on the bed, stand at the edge of it snap your fingers or clap your hand to get her attention, you say "down" or "off" or "No" or whatever word you use and point to the floor.

NOW you ignore her.

The second she jumps down praise her like she just saved the world and give her something extraordinarily good, like meat or cheese or whatever.

If this takes 30 seconds, great. If it takes 10-15 minutes, great. You can't budge and you can't let her win.

Do this every single time without fail.

Discipline.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:13 pm

^ insert block underneath your bed. Once she's under there she is beyond the reach of your discipline and she is controlling you and the situation.

I get that perhaps the doors have to be open, but underneath your bed does not have to be accessible.

How old/small is she?
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:15 pm

She is a 1 year and 6 months. I have tried telling her down and ignoring her it doesn't work she will lay down and bark at me. I will be standing there all night. I tell her out and if she doesn't listen I shut the door and leave her there. And if she scratches on the door to come out I leave her there until I am ready to let her out. I don't see it as she is winning because she wants attention! That is her main problem, if she doesn't get attention every second she acts out. We use the laundry room as the time out room.

Last edited by anastasiya'smom on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:17 pm

Well then that's what it takes, do it. If she is dictating your life that badly to where you question your ability to find a roommate, what's one night?

It sounds like she has no respect for you or your boundaries because she doesn't acknowledge your discipline as something to listen to.

Teenagers test your will and your patience and your seriousness, and she has your number on all 3.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:19 pm

Oh, and this should be the tagline at the top of this site in all caps and neon underlined letters:

If your Husky is bored and underexercised then change both immediately. Your life will get better once you do.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Excuse me but I do exercise my husky. She gets an extremely long walk every night, we play with her throughout the day. We go outside and I play ball with her since it is cooler, not much you can do outside in the South. She also gets her mental stimulation EVERY day for at least 30 minutes. We play hide and go seek and other games. So I think you are talking to the wrong person.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm

I am not trying to be rude but don't tell me I don't exercise my dog. We walk her UNTIL SHE is ready to come inside. I also like to run laps with her, we have plenty of room in the house we are always running. She has plenty of bones and kongs for the few times we aren't paying attention. I understand you weren't trying to be rude but I am not one of those people.

Last edited by anastasiya'smom on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with Nanook

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next