It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need help with Nanook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Need help with Nanook - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Awesome. So in my post it started with "If......." which in your case does not apply.

You're excused Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm not trying to be rude but I didn't.

Settle down.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Recommending exercise to a teenage Husky owner is perfectly good advice that is going to apply to an enormous percentage of owners.

It was a blanket statement. I didn't specify you or say you didn't.

Even if I did, that's no reason to "bad advice" something, just FYI to you or whoever did that.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:30 pm

I understand what a husky needs, I have made sure Anna has all the exercise she needs. On weekends we even take her to parks and out hiking. I just think your comment came out as directed towards me since we were in a discussion about how my dog has no discipline. I would take her to dog parks but she doesn't care for other dogs except my sister's Sibe. But of course they cannot always be here.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Great, so take exercise out of your equation, and now you still have your problems.  

Address them otherwise.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:35 pm

anastasiya'smom wrote:
I just think your comment came out as directed towards me since we were in a discussion about how my dog has no discipline.
Generally good advice that already applies to you because you are in accordance with it is still good advice.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

It is by no means bad advice but I don't fall under that category. Hence why I am asking for help. Can her problem come from the fact that as a puppy I never let her play on her own? Did I shoot myself in the foot by always showing her attention? Is that possible?
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm

How do you discipline Link? Is he put in timeout?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:39 pm

yes, it's possible.

IF you have always given her attention and affection as a puppy even when she was misbehaving THEN it is safe to assume that perhaps she had a very difficult time learning right and wrong from you.

IF this is the case then she has no reason to listen to you now. She's always gotten love and attention either way so what's the point of knowing right from wrong??

The only difference now is she's no longer a cute little harmless puppy.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Link has been put in timeout twice in his life and both times were for unsolicited teeth-on-skin a little too hard. I allow teeth-on-skin in specific circumstances that I control, not him.

Otherwise it's mostly non-verbal and body language. But I don't have boundary issues with him because they have been enforced since he was 8 weeks old and he has been disciplined since that age too.

He's spent a lot of his puppyhood being ignored when he is acting up and misbehaving.

It's what called Calming Training. Being calm and focused was his prominent life lesson #1.

Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Of course I understand. She has always gotten love and attention. When she was a pup we would tell her no when she was doing something wrong, like chewing on a chair and then we would redirect her attention. She was never really left alone either, she was pretty much the center of our attention. And when I say left alone I mean she never played alone we were almost always playing with her. She quit the puppy biting quickly with the stern no, ignore, and no play. But that was about all she did. So it wasn't like we did nothing when she acted up.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Ok then, well it sounds like she is just playing the patience game with you, like a game of chicken.  

A battle of wills with a Husky is a giant hurdle and requires time and patience but you have to gain control and wait her out.  Don't chicken out.  

Start right now.  Go into the bedroom with her.  You'll see her ears perk up and her focus on the bed.  BOOM.  Correction right there.  

If she jumps on the bed, correct her again and then command her to get down, or better yet, entice her to get down with a treat.  Once she does, praise her like crazy and treat her.  

Repeat repeat repeat. Don't be afraid to be harsh and stern with her, she's begging you for it already.

She is fully developed cognitively now and she can know right from wrong, it just takes a strong leader guiding her and she needs to be shown both, equally.  A "No" is pointless without the corresponding "Yes."

I have always played the boundary game with Link for crate training and No Access training.  Provoke them to the boundary and then take over.  Enforce it and treat for them accepting it.  

If you use treats creatively to play the boundary game you can teach her to respect any boundary you want to.  It just takes time and you must not chicken out from the battle of wills.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 pm

We also had a recent problem with her jumping over our new couch. But we worked on it by having daily sessions of making her walk around the couch to get a treat and tons of praise. If she didn't walk around she didn't get the treat. I will have to try that for the getting on the bed, thank you! That's a good idea.

But I still am not sure about the running under the bed. She doesn't always do it, it is just Lauren's room and when she is hyped up in our bedroom and I am telling her to get down.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:03 pm

You're welcome.

I'm going to assume she'd want a piece of chicken more than she'd want to be on your bed.

Use that to your advantage and claim that bed as your own. She'll catch on with time.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Thank you I really appreciate your help. I am sorry I really wasn't trying to be rude earlier. I didn't notice how awful I sounded until I just re-read it. I hope you don't think I am always rude. I understand where you are coming from, not everyone does exercise their huskies properly.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 pm

No problem.

I appreciate your apology.

Good luck with boundary training. The more nonverbally you do it the better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with Nanook

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3