It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? Empty
PostSubject: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:53 pm

I am wondering what you guys would do in this situation…

The other day, I was walking my 3 when I saw my neighbors pit bull had gotten loose and was running outside. I was far enough away that I decided to turn around by some trees and walk the other direction. The pit saw us and came charging at my 3 and started attacking us. Luckily we didn’t get bit, as one of them came running and pulled the dog away and held it while we walked away. The owner’s mother had left the door open by accident and apologized. This was the second time that dog had gotten loose and attacked mine, both times we were lucky. I don’t really want there to be a 3rd.

The problem is where I live my HOA actually bans pits AND huskies. I did not know this when I got mine as they never provided the rules to me (I had to get them from a neighbor). Also, there are 2 versions of the rules, one that does not ban huskies, and only pits and Rottweiler’s.

Another neighbor, who has a small dog that was attacked years ago (by a different dog), sent an email to the HOA. The HOA is sending a letter to my neighbor with the pit stating that they have to get rid of it and it is not allowed. I am afraid that they are going to tell me on as well, and they will try to make me get rid of mine (NOT HAPPENING!)

So I can either lie, and say they are Malamutes (not on the list), or say that I was never informed of the rules, and that my copy does not state they are banned. I may be getting ahead of myself, since this hasn’t actually happened but I am afraid it will come to this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 2:06 pm

I would get some halt or bear spray and avoid contact with the HOA. I think there is some legal grey area if there are two sets of rules, but that still won't protect you and your dogs when you're out in the mean time. Since they already know about the pit, I don't think you have to do anything else in terms of drawing attention to the issue.

Maybe once that situation is resolved, you could request an amendment to the rules asking to change them a bit. Instead of banning specific breeds, there could be a clause about dogs that are loose and unsupervised, or incidents of attacks and/or aggression and requesting a leash rule. A lab or golden can just as easily have aggression problems (i've know a lot of aggressive goldens).
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Not sure how your area works but here HOAs have to record any of their rules and changes at the courthouse. You maybe able to go in and get a recorded date of each set of rules and find out which one is the latest version. Really, there should have been a date on the rules somewhere stating when they took affect, but that comes down to how formal they got when making the rules. If there is no date that can be proven then legally I'm not sure they can do much. I would try to quietly hunt down the answer to which copy is newest. If the copy excluding huskies is the newest then I wouldn't worry. In any case I wouldn't make waves with the HOA unless they specifically come for you.

Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 3:16 pm

The newest version of HOA rules is the one that also bans huskies. I am definitely not going to make waves with the HOA, in fact I did not even want the other neighbor to contact them, but she did anyway and there isn't much I can do now. Once my neighbor with the pit bull gets the letter I would not be surprised if she tells the HOA that I have 3 huskies, and then the HOA will have to act, since they cannot apply the rules to one person and not another. If I can not use the fact that my version did not mention huskies, then my next option is to tell them that they are not huskies, but Malamutes, or another breed. I'm not sure if they can force me to show them their vet's paperwork or do a DNA test.

I am seriously considering putting my house up for sale and finding somewhere else to live.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 3:42 pm

I don't know much about HOA or anything like that. However I'm just going to say this right now, don't lie to them. Not only is it dishonest, but if/when they find out (and anyone who knows anything about malamutes will immediately know you're lying since malamutes can't have blue eyes) couldn't they lay on more severe penalties?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm with Aidan about not knowing much about the HOA but if you bought your house with them not on the list can they really say anything when they updated their policy and then didn't even give you a copy? I don't see why in that situation you can't be like grandfathered in or something with your dogs.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 3:52 pm

No, there is no penalty for perjury.  The ban does not state anything about mixes, so I could say they are mixed breeds.  I think that the people on the board know my dogs are not dangerous.  First, they give you a notice to correct the violation, and if you dont dispute it they start fining you 50.00 per day until it is corrected.  Also, they cannot come inside my house to inspect anything, and I doubt they can legally obtain vet records to prove they are huskies.  

The bottom line is I am NOT giving my dogs up.  If they end up fining me, they can go ahead and do it because I will find any way I can to keep my dogs with me, and if that means lying to them I have no problem with that.  It was MY dogs that were attacked, not the other way around so it is not fair for me to have to worry about this because of someone else that can't control THEIR dog.

When I bought the place I never received a copy of the HOA rules. It wasn't until recently (after I had my dogs) that I noticed it had huskies on the ban list. Then, I received another copy of the HOA rules that did not include them. However, I don't think that will be an argument because the rules without huskies was dated about 6 months prior to the other set of rules
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 3:55 pm

HOA's can do some seriously dick things, so I agree with Aidan and Erica not to lie to them. That's probably not going to end well for you, and they really will have grounds to go after the dogs at that point. Your best bet is going to be to push the angle where you never got the updated bylaws and push to be grandfathered in. Can you prove when they were updated? You'd definitely have more ground to fight on if you got the dogs before the rules were updated.

My dad was president of their HOA in Plainfield, IL for a long time. Indiana might have some different rules, but when I talk to him this afternoon I can bounce this off of him and see what he says. I know he really hates BSL and worked really hard with their HOA about not banning certain breeds (they have a pit mix themselves, he's the biggest baby).

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:01 pm

That's probably not going to be a valid argument regarding the by-laws. I moved in there in December 2011. The first set of docs have a date of May 2004 without the additional breed bans included, and the second set has a date of August 2004 that includes those bans.

I might be worrying ahead of things, but if the neighbor that has the pit does tell them about my dogs, and the HOA sends me a letter that I have to get rid of them, I will have 2 options.

1) Lie about their breed.
2) Let them assess fees and put a lien on the property

And put the place up for sale in the mean time.

Also, I think all of the board members know my dogs and have not said anything about it before. If they were banned, then it would be crappy of them to do something about it just because of this incident. I am not going to just roll over for them because I was the one attacked. If it were not for my neighbors dog I would not have to even worry about this.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:30 pm

If the board members know your dogs and have been okay with them then I would politely push for an amendment to be made to the bylaws. If huskies aren't on the dangerous breeds list for your state or your insurance then I would think that would help to back them in deciding to remove them from the HOAs banned breeds list. Seeking an amendment I think would be your best option should a fit be pitched about your dogs. As for why you got huskies when they were banned you have the other set of bylaws to explain that to them.

When we were looking to buy a house in an HOA we had to seek an amendment to have a privacy fence before we even put an offer in on the house. When we explained everything out as to why we needed the fence and they met Kenzi they were totally fine with it. We didn't end up buying that house but being courteous and having good reasons for every amendment we wanted really went a long way to getting the board to side in our favor.

Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:34 pm

That could be an option if it came to it to push to have an amendment added to the by-laws. I know I should just take it one thing at a time, as it may not even come to this. I just tend to over-think things and worry about what could happen.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 4:35 pm

I think its good that you are thinking of your options so that way if this does happen you have thought out what your best plan is! I mean it might end up being nothing, but it could end up being a big deal so I think better to be prepared then to have it sprung on you and have to make a decision in a rush.
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 1:06 am

Don't know much about this stuff - but go over all and any documents that you signed when you first moved into the house... if you didn't sign anything about the no husky rule, or state anywhere that you were provided & read the by-laws, then they shouldn't have grounds against you.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 12:13 pm

It has worried me to the point that I don’t feel good the last few days, so I am not going to worry about something that may or may not happen. We did figure that if the neighbor does call the HOA, and they do send us a letter stating that we have to remove them, my only response is that they cannot choose what rules that residents have to follow, because there are about 10 other rules that are constantly being broken. Also, the fact that my set of rules says something different I would point that out too. I don’t want to have to lie, but if it comes down to it and that’s my only option I will do everything to keep my dogs, because they are not taking my family away.

Plus my neighbor with the pit has a boyfriend that lives 5 minutes away, and he has another dog that hers plays with, so for her to have to keep the dog there shouldn’t be a big deal. For me, I would have to move.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?   Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do? Empty

Back to top Go down

Attacked by Neighbors Pit, HOA problem, not sure what to do?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1