It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Needing Advice!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LesDawn91
Newborn
Newborn

Needing Advice!  Empty
PostSubject: Needing Advice!    Needing Advice!  EmptySat May 31, 2014 11:31 pm

Hello, I recently rescued a beautiful siberian husky from a local shelter. I've had him home now for three days, the first day home was good, he seemed happy yet tired so I brushed it off and blamed it on the car ride home. Well today he was left alone for a few hours while I was at work (he was walked two times during the day by my mother) he completely lost it in the house and got into everything. He somehow managed to OPEN a jar of grape jelly and ate almost the entire thing. I'm not upset in the least at him because I understand him being bored, but when I'm home with him he seems to just want to lie around and do nothing. I try getting some of his toys and he just doesn't seem interested. I'm afraid I'm not doing something right. I was told at the shelter that he was around a year to two years old. I'd really love any advice that you guys can offer me to getting him back to a happy and playful dog! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Needing Advice!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing Advice!    Needing Advice!  EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 3:59 am

Hello, and congrats on your adoption!

Remember, you JUST got him three days ago. IMO, a new rescue should definitely be crated or confined in some way for quiet awhile. It can take a "rescue" pooch up to 6 months to come out of their shell and show their true personalities and issues.

Don't give him free reign just yet. I'm assuming since he came from the shelter you know little to zip about him. Not a good idea to be so trusting just yet.

How long are his walks? He probably seems "bored" because he just doesn't know what to do with his new situation yet. Get him out and socialize him. Was he a stray or an owner surrender? Don't push him into interactions, but don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

I just want to stress again, remember you have only had him three days. Don't let yourself expect too much too soon with him. If you look around on the forum, you will see *countless* threads belonging to those of us who have had our dogs since puppyhood who have wrecked complete havoc on our houses and possessions.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Needing Advice!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing Advice!    Needing Advice!  EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:
Hello, and congrats on your adoption!

Remember, you JUST got him three days ago. IMO, a new rescue should definitely be crated or confined in some way for quiet awhile. It can take a "rescue" pooch up to 6 months to come out of their shell and show their true personalities and issues.

We adopted our then 1 yr old dog back in October from the local animal shelter. While he has been a delight since day 1, he has really only started to blossom in the last month or two. He began enjoying ear scratching, maybe 3 months, after we got him, I think it was only 2 months or so ago that for the first time, with the lure of kibble, that he actually lay down with one front paw across my legs. It wasn't until early May, when we took him on overnight in a hotel that he found his husky voice (at 11:30 at night, no less Rolling Eyes ). Last night, for the first time, he stretched out on the ground beside hubby in lawn chair and allowed himself to rubbed for almost 20 minutes - and then jumped up in the chair beside hubby and snuggled next to him for maybe...1 minute Laughing While he would definitely chase a tennis ball right from the start - I've sort of had the impression that he needed to be taught to play with people and enjoy human contact. (Now I'm wondering if I've created a monster - as soon as he is let off his tether, no, he doesn't run away, he comes bounding for the back door to be let in...and is a MAJOR counter-surfer bounce )

So, my suggestion would be to give your dog time and keep him either crated or tether to you so not give him a chance to get in trouble. And, when you are home, introduce one toy at a time, you play with it, toss it, dangle it but otherwise don't push it. Sometimes, a toy doesn't even look like a toy - cardboard boxes come to mind Laughing 

Also - initially (after my stamina built up) our walks were 3 miles and 2 miles each day. As well as chase the ball time (though in the beginning, after 3-4 tosses he was done - just walked around.)

And, finally, I cannot ever imagine Ami being left alone in the house unsupervised or crated. Even at my feet, tethered to my ankle, he managed to eat a slipper in...7/10 of a second affraid 
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

Needing Advice!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing Advice!    Needing Advice!  EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 3:56 pm

I don't have much experience with shelter dogs but I definitely agree with the socializing, take him to possibly a local dog park or maybe walk him at a park where people are around to kind of get him out and about, just not too much too soon you may not know his temperament just yet around new people, treats also help when he does something good treat him or a treat once or twice a day, but kenneling him when you are gone is a good thing it gives him a little den all to him self, since huskies are den animals I know Nala likes her crate, squeaker balls are one of Nala's favorites to play with. Like mentioned above he will probably take some time to get used to his new environment.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

Needing Advice!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing Advice!    Needing Advice!  EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Our rescue acted this way too when we first brought him home. I don't necessarily think that he was like that he was a rescue though. I think it's just a dog (any dog) showing anxiety about being in a new, unfamiliar place, and finding ways to keep themselves busy. Our husky did end up having pretty bad separation anxiety. We tried crate training, but the silly guy would hurt himself in their and pee himself, and howl... Boy did he howl. We eventually set him up in a small area with several baby gates (2 stacked so he couldn't jump over). He continued to howl and sometimes pee himself. Being confined to a small area, he was still anxious and frustrated, but at least he couldn't destroy anything or worse, injure himself. But we practiced in small increments of leaving him alone until we were able to leave him for a whole day. We have a dogwalker come once a day for a nice long hike at the beach.

It does take time though with everything else, as people above mentioned. But i think this is the case with any dog that you bring home. Our husky was super chill whenever we were home. He'd just sleep and sleep and sleep. He was never interested in any toys. Now, he brings you toy after toy until you give in and play with him, and he's a super goofball haha.
Back to top Go down
liesl.trapp
Newborn
Newborn
liesl.trapp

Female Join date : 2014-05-17

Needing Advice!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing Advice!    Needing Advice!  EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Yeah when I got my girl she didn't really get comfortable until about a month after I got her. She still hates being alone though ...it is getting better though.

It might help if you do training sessions with him with treats he like, that really helped with mine anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Needing Advice!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing Advice!    Needing Advice!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Needing Advice!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1