It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raw Feeding picture thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Claudia why don't you cover her spot with newspaper in case she takes her chicken there?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 5:47 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Claudia why don't you cover her spot with newspaper in case she takes her chicken there?

I tried putting down a cutting board first...she layed next to the cutting board....so then I put a towel in case she went there, and she'll go lay next to the towel instead of on it....I'm going to try a beach towel next, and if she goes to lay next to the beach towel instead of on it, she'll either be in the hall or in the family room by then!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 6:25 pm

Haha!!!!!! Ginger is too much! Wants to feel the rug..lol
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 6:37 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Haha!!!!!! Ginger is too much! Wants to feel the rug..lol

I dunno what it is about eating 'bones' in that spot or on the carpet!!

How hilarious would a video of me following Ginger around with a damn cutting board or towel when she's wanting to eat her chicken wing in the family room where it's carpeted?? lol!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2011 6:42 pm

lol! That would be hilarious!!! DO IT DO IT!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Last night Dakota enjoyed a turkey back. Mmmm Mmmm good! Smile

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 IMG_0446

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 IMG_0449

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 IMG_0453

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 IMG_0465

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 10:39 am

That's gianormous! It's bigger than his head! Smile

Wow! That's awesome!
Maybe we'll get there someday... Smile

Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 10:54 am

How long did it take him to finish that? I love the little chi running in the back ground Razz
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 11:54 am

cmanding wrote:
That's gianormous! It's bigger than his head! Smile

Wow! That's awesome!
Maybe we'll get there someday... Smile

LOL It was a 1 lb 15 oz (one ounce under 2 lbs) which is double his normal daily allotment. He normally gets 1 lb/day so I just decreased his HK dinner the night before and after.

Dakota is actually going to get a 3 lb turkey breast for dinner tomorrow. That means decreased meal tonight and the day after. I should probably fast him the day after but I just can't stand to see him looking at me hungry so I'd rather do smaller meals before and after than fast for a day. To each his own.

I couldn't pass up the turkey, a 12 lb bird for 59 cent/lb!

I'm sure it won't be too long before you move on to bigger and new things with Ginger. Wasn't it back in February you were talking about wanting to start raw for Ginger? And look how far you've come already in such a short time. She's eating wings, necks and drummettes! Believe me, you're moving faster than I did. I've been dabbling in raw for years! Laughing

j.gabriel wrote:
How long did it take him to finish that? I love the little chi running in the back ground Razz

I actually timed him believe it or not and he took a full 20 minutes to eat the turkey back from start to finish. And afterward he was begging for more! Smile And yep, that's Faith running back and forth in the background...the little busy body!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 12:28 pm

That's awesome! I now keep my eyes open for poultry on sale!
Ginger will be graduating to a chicken thigh or drumstick next week Smile
If she continues to do well, that'll same me some money on THK Zeal!
Whew!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Wow, that thing is big!!! He's totally enjoying it! How cute that Faith doesn't get near the turkey though..lol. She's adorable!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Okay, I just noticed that we don't have pics of Kody eating any of his raw foods. What's up, Melissa?! You're holding out on us! Laughing

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 9:03 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Okay, I just noticed that we don't have pics of Kody eating any of his raw foods. What's up, Melissa?! You're holding out on us! Laughing

lol! I would never hold out on you guys! I didn't think it was too exciting to take pics of him eating his raw ground beef, but tomorrow when I give him his chicken I will definitely have the hubby ready to video tape his first "official" time! When he stole the drumstick didn't count..lol
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Ok as promised here goes!

Please ignore the hubby in Kodys video and the messed up door in the background. That' due to my lovely doggies! I've given up painting it..lol. The second I let go of it (not on the vid) he swallowed it!

Mya really enjoyed it! She was searching for more for like 5min!

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:06 pm

They look like naturals!
Awesome!

Those look like big drummettes! Mine are small like buffalo wing size! LOL! But Ginger will graduate to drumstick and thighs within a week.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Really? These are so much smaller than a drumstick..lol.

Umm, now Kody has hiccups and they're both just laying there like they're exhausted (which they shouldn't be). Should I be worried? I'm know i'm paranoid!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Hmm...I dunno about hiccups!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Love the vids, Melissa! They do look like naturals and Mya was like she'd been doing it all her life. Very Happy

Your hubby's KFC commented made me laugh! LOL

I doubt the hiccups and being tired has anything to do with their raw food. I wouldn't be worried about it.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 9:09 am

Yeah I was totally just being paranoid. When I let them out right after I posted that to see if they were ok they were fine and Kody's hiccups went away a few minutes later. Maybe he got the hiccups because he swallowed that last piece whole (i think it was pretty big). Definitely not ready to totally let go of it with him yet. Mya's like a pro..lol!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Dakota had a 3 lb raw turkey breast for dinner last night! Very big dinner for him. Too much meat and not enough bone, he had a BM this morning that was part formed and part liquid. Eww... But at least no diarrhea, thank goodness!

Pics and vid:

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 IMG_0475

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 IMG_0481

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 IMG_0488

Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 IMG_0492

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:08 pm

That's as big as his head! Smile
Awesome!
I have to go buy chicken thighs and drumsticks today!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:55 pm

cmanding wrote:
That's as big as his head!
Awesome!
I have to go buy chicken thighs and drumsticks today!

lol!
IT IS!!! He totally enjoyed that!!! I'm giving them the drummette's again tonight. Hoping Kody doesn't swallow it at the end! Mya's a pro..lol.

Val, I only gave them the one drummette last night and Kody was starving so i gave hiim1/2 cup of THK and Mya 1/4 cup right after. I only gave them one to make sure they did well with it and their BM's were fine this morning. I'm thinking of giving them 2 of them tonight with no THK. Do you think that's enough? I need to invest in scale asap!

For breakfast Mya had 1/4 cup THK and 1/2 cup of her reduced cal kibble. Kody had 1 cup THK and 2 baby carrots.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 3:10 pm

I bought my food scale for less than $20 from Bed Bath & Beyond (if you have that store near you) - but it's digital. There are less expensive ones than that.

I started weighing Ginger's food out so that she gets a little less than 1lb of food a day because I'm trying to get her to lose a couple more pounds without having to put her on a low calorie dry dog food.

I haven't weighed her in a week, but hopefully she's lost at least a half a pound since....

I believe the guideline when feeding raw is to feed 2-3% of what their ideal body weight should be....so if Ginger *should* be about 55 lbs, 2% of 55 is 1.1, so I should be feeding about 1.1 lbs of food (at minimum).

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:29 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Val, I only gave them the one drummette last night and Kody was starving so i gave hiim1/2 cup of THK and Mya 1/4 cup right after. I only gave them one to make sure they did well with it and their BM's were fine this morning. I'm thinking of giving them 2 of them tonight with no THK. Do you think that's enough? I need to invest in scale asap!

For breakfast Mya had 1/4 cup THK and 1/2 cup of her reduced cal kibble. Kody had 1 cup THK and 2 baby carrots.

That amount should be about right for Kody, but since you are probably wanting him to gain maybe give him a little more if you so desire.

Claudia is right, when feeding raw typically you'd feed 2-3% of their ideal weight. For adult dogs maintaining their weight I think 2% of their ideal weight is right on target generally. Of course depending on a lot of factors like age, metabolism, activiity, etc the ideal amount for each individual dog may vary. My boy is 55 lbs and like Claudia mentioned, 2% of that is 1.1 lbs. So I target 1 lb per day. Some days he gets a little more and other days it's a little less, in the long run it balances out.

Drummettes are typically pretty small, those in your video look more like drumsticks in size than drummettes. I would definitely invest in a little kitchen scale soon. They are really cheap and you can find them almost anywhere. I'm pretty sure you could even find them at Walmart. I got my digital kitchen scale from Costco for $15. I can't say how much your drummettes weigh. I do know that typical chicken quarters that I feed as a meal weigh about 1 lb, give or take a few ounces. Most of my chicken quarters are about 1.1 lb actually, works out perfect. Since Kody is growing and is such a skinny boy still you could probably feed him 3-4% of his weight just to put some bulk on him. If you do go higher I'd start out at 3% first before moving up to larger amounts. Without a scale it's guesswork trying to determine how much is enough. I don't have any drummettes on me or I would weigh one for you and give you a sample weight to go off of. Maybe Claudia can tell you how much her drummettes weigh?

As for the starving doggy, I find it very hard to trust them. Case in point, after Dakota ate his whole 3 lb turkey breast he was begging for more and acting like he hadn't eaten at all. You'd think he was starving by the way he acted. Rolling Eyes

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 pm

The drumsticks weigh about 3-4 oz and thighs weigh about 4-5 oz. That's if you get a whole fryer chicken. A roasting chicken which is a little bigger in size would have chicken thighs closer to 5-6 oz and drumsticks about 4-5 oz.

The drumsticks in your video looks more like 3-4 oz comparing them in size relative to your hand.

Ginger gets a small drumstick tonight and a wing for dinner....no THK...

PostSubject: Re: Raw Feeding picture thread   Raw Feeding picture thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Raw Feeding picture thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next