It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Car Rides - How do you do it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Car Rides - How do you do it? Empty
PostSubject: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 4:17 pm

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask, how do you guys travel with your husky in the car?

We have been using a portable crate for longer trips and for shorter trips she would simply sit on one of my daughter's lap.

Curious how you guys do it.

Thanks

Jeff
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 4:44 pm

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t3577-new-zip-line-for-the-element?highlight=element

this is how we roll, with dogs in harnesses and clipped up. does not mean Jack does not make his way to the front seat with me though.  Sierra just lays down in the back and sleeps like a good girl.

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 9:25 pm

I have experienced first hand Jack making his way up to the front... Laughing
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 10:37 pm

MGoBlue wrote:

Me too Razz

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Car Rides - How do you do it? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2014 11:43 pm

MGoBlue wrote:

Yep same here. Smile Demon and Dakota were really good and would have the run of the back. If we had guests so four people in the car, we got a vehicle barricade and kept them in the cargo area. Now with Diablo, we have a leash attached to the o shit handle that we attach him to if he's wearing a harness.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 am

Our sibe has always ridden loose in either the backseat or cargo area of our SUV's with no problem. Once the kids came along though we started traveling with him in a plastic crate in the cargo area for the ease and safety of everyone.

Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 9:08 am

I seem to be the only one here with an actual car.

Thanks for the posts.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 9:25 am

I have a car, and I have littke safety seat belts that attach to their harnesses and keep them in the back seat. They use to wonder around and it got really hectic. Its just a clip at one end and at the other end the seatbelt clips into this like platic thing that holds them in place. I would check out amazon or something. We also have a cargo cover and a sheet down to "try" to cut down on the hair.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 9:39 am

We have an actual car - a subaru WRX. Ami has a harness that he wears for the car as well as a "hammock" that attaches to the front seat headrests and either the back seat headrest (we don't have any) or I run the straps through the other 2 car seat attachments on the upper deck. There is a tether that attaches to the 3rd child seat attachments on the back deck - I have it adjusted so that he can lay down comfortable in the back seat and can stick his head between the front seats but cannot actually climb into the front. The hammock has a zipper so that if you need to put a person in the back seat, it zips open and allows one side to be used by humans.

I like the tether because it keeps him in the car while I open the door to leash him. The hammock has proved invaluable - not only does it protect the seats (it's also waterproof) from mud, dog toe nails and scratching, I've used it to carry firewood to a campground, a honey extractor home from the bee club, and to carry a cut up solar cover reel tube to recycling (it had sharp metal shards on the ends.) The hammock is not extensive enough to keep all husky hair off the seats so I put a king sheet draped over the headrests and down the front seat, over the back seat and up the back and tucked into the sides and top of the back seat. Then I put the hammock in on top of this. If we travel and need the crate, it gets folded up and rests vertically against the back of the front seats underneath the sheet and the hammock.

All of the above shenanigans are because this car came with a monster sub-woofer that takes up most of the trunk and I cannot convince husband to ditch it and get an under-seat sub-woofer Rolling Eyes We can pack small overnight cases under the crate, under the sheet and hammock, which provide a nice "cave" for Mr. Dog and a "chin-rest" for his snout - he sleeps and gets treats with his snout on top of the "sling" formed by the hammock.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyFri Aug 29, 2014 7:05 pm

Hmm.. actual car? what is your definition of that? Could actual car be classify as saloon, or hatchback, or estate, or SUV?
I drive saloon car, my two used to sit in the back passenger seats with seat covers. And my pervious 2 seats car, my beloved boy used to sit at the next or nest on the passenger seat. He was a well behaved boy in car.
Not too sure about the seat belt for the dog, due to standard are verify, I doubt with the protection it claims. Anyways when boy on board, I drive with extra precaution.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Maya likes's to ride "shotgun" in the semi. If she gets tired of the jump seat she will lay next to me on the floor or crawl into the cubbyhole under the bunk.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Bodhi travels in the back seat of my SUV.
He wears a harness and is clipped into the seat belt.
He is an excellent traveller and just looks out the window or sleeps.

My last husky, Tasha, was a terrible traveller.
She would whine and pace the whole trip.
Finally, we got so frustrated with her that we reclined a back seat and put her dog bed in the car behind us so she could lie down in "princess" style.
She stopped whining, but it was not safe.

I would urge everyone to think about securing your dog when you travel.
Friends had a tragedy that involved a car accident and a dog launched like a 75 lb. missile.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 2:41 pm

I don't have a real car either; mines a '98 Jeep with the rear seat removed. That's the place for my dogs to get comfortable in.
Avalanche is a real traveler, willing to go anywhere, any time and sets just over my shoulder (looking over / standing on the console) watching everything!
Sasha, has to be contrary, she doesn't like to travel so on my next road trip, she'll go into my vets for a stay while Avalanche and I go enjoy ourselves.

Most of my travel is on the road from the house into town (18 miles) at highway speeds but there is seldom any traffic - if I meet two cars on the trip into town, that's traffic! - so my pair travel loose in the "bed" of the jeep (which is enclosed with a hard top, BTW)

As others have said, if I have to travel long distances I'd seriously consider a pet harness to keep Avalanche in the back end should I have to stop quickly (or worse) since he has ended up against the front seats a time or two.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 3:01 pm

We have trucks and a jeep, so when it's the jeep Miya does the whole looking around thing like Al's pups. lol. In the truck, if it's her and I she curls up in a ball on the passenger side. If it's the 3 of us she sits in the middle. Sittin is loosely applied here, because up until the last 2 rides she would sit, pace(on me), lay down and huff the air conditioning vent (need to get a pic of that). The last 2 trips one with just me, and one with me and my neighbor Miya sat, huffed her air and was a well mannered girl.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 3:15 pm

We have a very small Sedan (Nissan Versa). When we first got Anya she had no car manners, so she rode in a crate. We worked with her, and now she's very good. We have a car hammock now (it keeps her from faking off the seat and protects the interior from muddy paws). love my hammock!
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for all the great posts. It is interesting to read how everyone does it.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 am

My car has a smaller back seat, but all three manage to squeeze in. We travel almost every weekend and the dogs are loose in the back. The girls each have a window seat and Hayden always has his head out the sunroof with tons of stares as we roll down the road lol.
Back to top Go down
trbomax
Puppy
Puppy
trbomax

Male Join date : 2014-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 pm

I removed the back seats in the truck and built a deck,covered it and the rear of the cab with carpet.The rampstores under the platform and is a camper bunk bed ladder covered with 1/4" plywood and carpet.The girls love it and will ride back there all day! In the grand Cherokee we just fold the back seats and use the same ramp thru the rear door. Robin ,being blind,cant jump into the car/truck, which is how the ramp came to be. Cant get the pics to post.
Back to top Go down
trbomax
Puppy
Puppy
trbomax

Male Join date : 2014-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyTue Sep 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Trying again nope,I quit
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 12:55 am

Trbomax is still having problems posting pictures so he sent them on to me ... let's see if I have any better luck.

Car Rides - How do you do it? Img_1510

Car Rides - How do you do it? Img_1511

Car Rides - How do you do it? Img_1512

That's a nice looking setup for an older dog.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 1:11 am

Indeed, good job Al for helping!! We are all going to have to face this someday, some sooner than others, excellent ideas.
Back to top Go down
FirstAscent
Puppy
Puppy
FirstAscent

Male Join date : 2014-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 3:11 am

Well, Aurora is only 10 weeks old as of today so she is still small, I'm not sure how things will change as she gets older haha but for now she is either on my lap sleeping, or on my lap sticking her head out the window, or in the back seat, or... basically everywhere haha. She does good though and loves it. We don't have any harnesses for safety etc yet but I do like the idea.

Actually just today I put one of her beds in the back seat with toys and she loves that. We just went on a camping trip and it was an 8 hr drive each way and she had no problem at all, actually slept most the way. Which sucked when we arrived because she had a ton of extra energy haha.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:15 am

Robin,

That is a pretty sweet setup!
Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? EmptyWed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 am

We have a hammock seat cover and she just free roams the back seat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car Rides - How do you do it?   Car Rides - How do you do it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Car Rides - How do you do it?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-