It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

3 Huskies?...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

3 Huskies?... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 pm

jbealer wrote:
Is it bad I want to call her Willow instead of maui?

She looks like my Willow Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 4:45 pm

26nikita wrote:
jbealer wrote:
Is it bad I want to call her Willow instead of maui?

She looks like my Willow Smile

your willow is a cutie!

well we are on day 3 and Sierra is showing no signs of warming up to her Sad we did not have any fighting last night or this morning but Sierra has been showing her teeth and looking as mean as can be if Maui even looks at her! Maui is wearing Jack out in the back yard with play. Sierra is acting just like she does with Gunny around and Jack no longer plays with Sierra so i think she feels hurt and has been following me where ever i go. maybe we can't be a 3 husky home at this time.... we will see how the weekend goes. and i hope to catch up on more post, work is crazy busy and i have not had the time.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Maui may just need some time to calm down. Cheyenne hated Mishka in the beginning. Completely and totally hated her. And now they're inseparable. Keep us posted of course!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Honestly? Hailey hated Koda when we first got her. She bared her teeth and growled if Koda looked at her, walked near her, or was just in her general vicinity and she felt he was too close. It takes time. Having a new dog in the house can be a big change and Sierra might just need time to adjust. So far every new dog she's had in the house has left except for Jack. Give it time. All hope is not lost. You'll know more in a week or two.

3 Huskies?... - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:18 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Maui may just need some time to calm down. Cheyenne hated Mishka in the beginning. Completely and totally hated her. And now they're inseparable. Keep us posted of course!

Koda wrote:
Honestly? Hailey hated Koda when we first got her. She bared her teeth and growled if Koda looked at her, walked near her, or was just in her general vicinity and she felt he was too close. It takes time. Having a new dog in the house can be a big change and Sierra might just need time to adjust. So far every new dog she's had in the house has left except for Jack. Give it time. All hope is not lost.

Ditto on both these cases. Our first two dogs hit it off from pretty much the very beginning. But when we brought home our third she hated our sibe and was constantly baring her teeth, growling and snapping at him if he so much as looked at her or got within 3 feet of her. It took a lot of correction and time (at least 3-4 months) for them to finally co-exist peacefully. And it wasn't until 8 months after bringing home the third that she actually liked my sibe and even instigates play with him all the time. But I would strongly advise correcting Sierra when she aggresses. I wouldn't even allow them to bare their teeth in my home, she needs to know that you are in charge, not her and that behavior is not acceptable. If there is an object(s) or person in the home that either might be protecting it helps with removal in the moment of aggression and reintroducing later. I like to distract and redirect the dogs' attention onto something else if anyone starts showing the slightest hint of aggression. Something as simple as a hand clap and walking out of the room can break the tension.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Val,
I have been correcting Sierra when she shows aggression but i fear im the one she is guarding! i can get them next to each other and pet them at the same time and they walk next to each other ok with the exception of Maui putting her head on top of Sierras every now and then. but then something happens in the home where sierra will just not put up with her. i have removed all the raw hides but not the toys as Maui love to play with them and S&J seem to be sharing those ok. i know its all time and waiting.

i do have one question about Maui though. because she was a BYB husky and from her size i know the parents were not the best match, and we have no info on them. i am concerned about future health issues if we do keep her, mainly with her hips and joints, is there any way to know about that other then testing as she is only 15 months. there might be a lady wanting to look at her i was informed so im just thinking a ton of things right now. i really am thinking the best 3 husky match for us might be a male between 3-4yrs old.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 9:43 pm

jbealer wrote:
Val,
I have been correcting Sierra when she shows aggression but i fear im the one she is guarding!

Our third dog is one we have an ongoing problem of aggression and guarding problems too. And the main thing she guards is me which is a problem. I treat it like I would any guarding behavior though and we have taken steps and made changes in our daily life to curb and put an end to this behavior. I always issue a correction each and every single time, repetition is so important, don't let them get away with it even once. We brought home our third dog, Glory, 10 months ago and we are still dealing with her guarding of me to this day. The guarding thing is flattering because she's protecting what she values most, BUT it is not what I asked for so it must be stopped. Although we are still working on it with Glory even after almost a year, we have seen some improvement...however slight. Just be aware, every case is different so take your time, be consistent, and don't expect to see changes overnight and don't put time limits on when you expect to see serious progress.

jbealer wrote:
i do have one question about Maui though. because she was a BYB husky and from her size i know the parents were not the best match, and we have no info on them. i am concerned about future health issues if we do keep her, mainly with her hips and joints, is there any way to know about that other then testing as she is only 15 months. there might be a lady wanting to look at her i was informed so im just thinking a ton of things right now. i really am thinking the best 3 husky match for us might be a male between 3-4yrs old.

You can have a vet feel her joints at this stage and get a general idea of her structure. When she turns 24 months (if you still have her) you could get her hips x-rayed. I would also have her eyes looked at closely in addition to a thorough exam since this breed is also known for hereditary eye problems.

Our third dog we adopted knowing she was from a BYB. We were told she was perfectly healthy and had no health problems. The night we brought her home I noticed she was walking funny on her hind legs on and off a few times. We also noted she had trouble seeing in the dark. We took her to our vet 2 days later and found out she has 2 hereditary health problems, both of which could have been avoided through proper breeding practices. BYB's make me so mad, especially since I live with a dog whose health problems are directly the result of a selfish person breeding just for $$$. Glory has juvenile cataracts in both her eyes (why she can't see in the dark) AND she has patellar luxation in both her knees (why she falters when walking). There's nothing I can do about the cataracts right now, possibly surgery later in life if it gets bad enough...$$$. For her luxating patella we spend a lot of extra money on supplements just to keep her legs from getting worse. If her knees do get worse it will cost $1500-$2000 PER KNEE to fix surgically. I share this with you because taking on a dog costs a lot to begin with, but taking on a dog with health problems costs so much more. Just keep that in mind as you make your decision, if money is no issue then you can disregard all that, but if you're like most who do have a fixed income that isn't out of this world then definitely plan and prepare as necessary. I hope no one thinks less of me but if I had known about Glory's health problems and behavioral issues before adopting her I would not have taken her on. It is a huge sacrifice and commitment both financially, emotionally and physically.

Only you know what is best for your family and situation and of course we support you both in whatever happens. Maybe this person who is interested in her will be the best home for her, maybe not. Play your hand and let the cards fall where they may. Smile

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Only you know what is best for your family and situation and of course we support you both in whatever happens. Maybe this person who is interested in her will be the best home for her, maybe not. Play your hand and let the cards fall where they may. Smile
Fantastic advice, Val Smile

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 pm

jbealer wrote:
well we are on day 3 and Sierra is showing no signs of warming up to her Sad we did not have any fighting last night or this morning but Sierra has been showing her teeth and looking as mean as can be if Maui even looks at her! Maui is wearing Jack out in the back yard with play. Sierra is acting just like she does with Gunny around and Jack no longer plays with Sierra so i think she feels hurt and has been following me where ever i go. maybe we can't be a 3 husky home at this time.... we will see how the weekend goes. and i hope to catch up on more post, work is crazy busy and i have not had the time.

I think Sierra is probably definitely hurt that Jack is paying no attention to her. Poor baby =(
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 1:38 am

Huskyluv wrote:
I hope no one thinks less of me but if I had known about Glory's health problems and behavioral issues before adopting her I would not have taken her on. It is a huge sacrifice and commitment both financially, emotionally and physically.

I certainly wouldn't think less of you! You're being honest, and your right, it is a commitment in several ways and that's tough either way you look at it. And I would also not take on a dog if I knew about behavioral and health problems...

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 3:14 am

You know what's best for your family Jenn, and if Maui isn't the right Red Number Three, keep looking and Maui will find her forever home soon I'm sure Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 pm

We are gonna keep her till she finds a forever home. Well I might revisit that thought if it takes longer then a month and her and sierra are still having issues. I will keep u all posted. We are going to the dog park later today to see how she is with other dogs

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Good luck and keep us posted, Jenn!

Love the new siggy, Tori!

And thank you Claudia. Smile

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Love the new siggy, Tori!
Thank you! I do too Smile I can't take the credit though, Jennet made it for me!

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:50 am

It is sad to report but we are. Between any of them :(back to 2 huskies. We took maui to another forster home last night. Ken and I tallked and we needed to do what was best for our pack and maui. Sierra bit maui real hard on her hind leg sat morn, no blood but lots of crying and limping. After that all 3 got very quite and there was no interaction between the 3 Sad we gave it some time and the feeling around the home was not good. Since we knew we were not keeping her we did not want to drag it on any longer and godforbid something worse to happen to any one of them. We migh try again at some time but for now I think 2 is the magic number. We hope she gets adopted soon and at her new forster home she has 5 new huskies to play with!

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 am

It was noble of you to take Maui into your hearts, home and your pack. I'm sorry it didn't workout, but you did the right thing. Maui is still in a good home until she finds her forever home.

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:11 pm

sorry to Hear .. But atleast you tried .. Hope Ur babies Leg is Ok
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 pm

So sorry to hear that but you did the right thing and it's better for you and your family as well as Maui in the long run. She seems like such a sweetheart and I'm sure it won't be too long before she finds her forever home.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Sorry to hear, but it's in everyones best interests. Maybe an older male would be better suited for Sierra. Hopefully this hasn't turned you off!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Texted you earlier. So sorry to hear this, but I know you made the right choice for everyone involved. She will find a home and Sierra and Jack will find a new friend if that's what's meant to be. Hopefully if another foster comes around, you can try it out again!

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aprilmitchem
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 1:03 pm

To the original question, I think if you can handle 3, then have 3. I have 4 and I can tell you that 4 is too much for me but we are a "blended family" so we have 4 until some go to the Rainbow Bridge. I would prefer 3 because I could walk 3 by myself. Four I can not do.
However, it is always best to let your current dogs pick out the 3rd. Lilly picked out Ginger. It was the most amazing thing. We went to Ginger's foster home to meet her. The door opened, Ginger ran to the door, saw Lilly and (I swear this is true) said "there you are! i've been waiting for you." They started playing and have been heart sisters ever since, over 6 years now. When my husband and I first met, he had a black lab and ended up taking in a lab/husky off the streets. Lilly and the black lab, Molly, did not get along from day 1. They still don't. They just don't like each other. They have to live together because it is my house and I make the rules but if they had a choice, they would not. Now, the lab/husky, Congo, is a different story. Lilly and Ginger LOVE him. Those 3 are like 3 peas in a pod.
So, the moral of my story is, don't try to force them. Taking Maui to another foster home was smart. As you foster various dogs, you'll likely find one who both of your dogs like and you'll know that will be the dog you keep. I've fostered quite a few dogs of various breeds and, while most of them go along ok with everyone, none of them were dogs I knew I wanted to keep.
I would also suggest an older male, see how that goes. Females are notorious for not particularly liking another female.
Back to top Go down
http://www.examiner.com/dog-care-in-birmingham/april-mitchem
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 2:31 pm

BTW, Maui has been adopted and has 2 other playmates in her pack!
Yay for Maui!

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Yay Maui! Smile

Great advice, April.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 pm

awwww yay for Maui!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

3 Huskies?...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2