It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New dog Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gekzzz
Newborn
Newborn

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 3:13 pm

Ill be taking in a new husky who is about 6 years old that couldn't be kept by the original owner. This will be my first husky but not the first time being around them. She is crate trained. I work 5 days a week (9 hour days) so I will be gone then. Although that will end in the summer and ill be home more. Id prefer to keep her in the crate while I'm gone. Is there anything that I should be worried about?
Back to top Go down
Eazyb23
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-08-16

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 3:48 pm

Please dont put it in the crate. They need to be free.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 3:55 pm

The crate is the safest place for her, especially given she will be in an unfamiliar situation. 9 hours is a long time though. Any way you can hire a mid day dog walker? My 3 year old is alone for 9 hour days frequently, but I trust him with free range and he's used to it.

As for other things, yes there are a ton of things you should be thinking about. Browse the various sections of the forum to read up.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 4:39 pm

If she is crate trained then I would definitely stick with the crate. The crate will serve as a cross over tool from her old life to her new. It can help ease her into living with you, give her a comfortable place that is familiar to her instead up completely turning her world up side down by giving her liberties she's never had in a place she doesn't know or understand yet.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Crates are the very best way to keep them and your house safe and to keep a dog's mind contained and occupied.

9 hours is a little too long for my tastes, but it's certainly doable .  You are just going to spend significant time with him before and after, or consider hiring a dog walker or visitor mid day.

Last edited by seattlesibe on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Oops, hi Sara.

Jynx.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 6:31 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Oops, hi Sara.

Jynx.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 1:17 pm

I agree with others, use crate. My dogs sleep almost all day when I'm here and I suspect when I'm going they sleep, but in the safety of their crates. Exercising before and work will be critical to making sure your new dog is happy.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Well said Jessica.

The abosolute best thing to do with crates is to keep things calm and make the time before and after crate time as boring and mundane as possible. No big deal, whatsoever.

If your dog is going to be relaxed in a crate for 9 hours it's super important that you never say goodbye or hello when leaving or coming home. The crate should be all about calmness and relaxation, and it's very difficult to maintain that if there's an enormous difference in the energy level when you are gone vs when you are home.

Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Eazyb23 wrote:
Please dont put it in the crate. They need to be free.

What? No! The crate is a wonderful tool, especially when transitioning a new dog into a new home and routine.

There are many threads about crating, but the biggest thing to me is making sure your dog gets enough exercise before and after work and plenty of attention when you are home.

I know mine, as long as she gets an hour walk before I leave for work, she happily sleeps the day away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
Sponsored content

New dog Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: New dog Question   New dog Question Empty

Back to top Go down

New dog Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-