It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

General question/advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
John Childers
Newborn
Newborn
John Childers

Male Join date : 2015-06-10

General question/advice Empty
PostSubject: General question/advice   General question/advice EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi new to the husky forum and husky ownership I was unsure where to put this so please redirect if possible.

My husky Riley is 12.5 weeks old and has been with me about a month some things I've observed and I have questions about are below any information would be nice.

1. Riley likes to wake up several times in the night he sometimes goes outside to do his biz and sometimes he just lays down there.

Some things I've done to prevent this is walking/running him just before bed (he does his business during the trip), I also try to limit water intake after a certain time but he still seems to have to go. We also move him and his crate (which he doesn't potty in) into the room with our other dogs which seems to have helped some but we still have over night issues sometimes every three hours sometimes less occasionally he makes it through the night. Any ideas?

2. He has been eating purina pro plan puppy food but likes to eat what our other dogs eat which is still a purina food that can cross over when moist with water for puppies.

Something's I've done is picked up the food, tried to feed at the same time with our other dogs. I'm not too concerned here because he continues to gain healthy weight. What I am concerned about is occasionally he will not eat much of anything at all. I think it's because his energy stores are still high and he doesn't require more food but we typically try and feed him twice a day while the other dogs get fed just once (technically they all graze) because the food is up and down.

Are these situations something he will grow out of or should we be doing something here any help would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: General question/advice   General question/advice EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 8:32 pm

welcome the forums  Very Happy
Leo when though the same thing, he did grow out of it at about 4 months Wink . hes probably to warm and his trying to cool off a bit Leo still dose that now an then but only during the warmer months.
i would try feeding 3 times a day, until six moths old. not sure if all huskies self regulate like Leo did at 4 months, he started eating 2 times a day scratch .

I would also watch the consistency of his number 2, if its watery you might be overfeeding him. and may need to adjust, i had to do that too Cool . I was so worried, but that's what my breeder tolled me.

Purina brand food is not the best food to feed him i would try Taste of The Wild high prairie puppy, i had Leo on that for about a year. very good food, now i feed him Dr. Tim's Kinesis All Life Stages Formula with some home made food. General question/advice 2144500265
Back to top Go down
John Childers
Newborn
Newborn
John Childers

Male Join date : 2015-06-10

PostSubject: Re: General question/advice   General question/advice EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 8:49 pm

I have thought about that cooling portion as well we are in Texas and we are getting into our hot summer months it's over 90 right now at 6:45p. I know from things I've read huskies tend to graze, which would stand to reason with his eating habits I like to call it drive by snacking on the other dogs food lol. Oddly we have changed his food fairly often so his stools have been all over the place which probably doesn't help much but again all the food he takes in can be eatin by puppies so I'm not too too worried just yet. I will look into the foods you recommend as well as I'm curious of the happenings those foods give compared to others. He also does tend to pant a fair bit late in the evenings which I'm assuming is the cool down feature.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General question/advice   General question/advice Empty

Back to top Go down

General question/advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1