It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Water Bowl Splashing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

Female Join date : 2015-07-13

Water Bowl Splashing Empty
PostSubject: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 11:11 am

I know there's already a thread on water splashing but I thought I'd start a fresh one to address the issue itself.

Red really LOVES to splash her water out of her bowl. She used to do it a lot at home (I'm really loving my tile flooring!). She's just under 6 months old now and has started to do the splashing at home less and less. It was super endearing until I started taking her to the dog park and she started doing the splashing there. She would splash her own bowl, she would splash other dog's bowls and then she would roll in the wet dirt from her splashing. She tends to get a lot of dirt into the bowls during the splashing so I have to keep dumping water and replenishing it. It's starting to get annoying because I can't lug 60 gallons of water to the park every time I take her...the park doesn't supply drinking water and it's not fair to the other dog owners that Red messes with their water too.

So does anyone know if she'll grow out of it? I've heard that they do and that they don't. Right now, I've just been hovering over her when she goes to the water bowl and I block her front paws from the bowl while she's drinking/face diving the bowl. I don't always get to her in time since she's lightning fast. Placing the bowl high or low makes no difference. I've had her drink directly out of the cooler which stands taller and she can only stick her face in...but alas, where there's a will there's a way for her to mess with it! Lol

On a side note, does anyone else's husky eat/drink while laying down? This is one of the cuter and quizzical things I've noticed with Red when we first brought her home. She'd start out on all fours and work her way to laying down while eating/drinking. Or, she'd be laying down already and slowly crawl to her bowls. She doesn't do it much now but it's hilarious when it does happen! Here are some pics from a couple months ago.

Water Bowl Splashing 2015-013
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 11:27 am

Oh gosh I really hope someone answers this because Meeka does the same thing and it makes me nuts. I bought loki some really fancy bowls and was dumb and left them at my parents house. Meeka had them chipped up from constantly pawing at them to splash and knocking them over.

Loki lays down to eat and drink too. Most people who see it call him lazy but I just think it's probably more comfortable to eat with gravity working the food down into your tummy as opposed to having to bend over and the food going up then down.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 11:48 am

My boy Kohdi is a water splasher, has been since a puppy. Mishka, my girl, has never done it. Like you with the dog parks, Kohdi does it on his hikes. There are water bowls set out with bottles of fresh water next to them and Kohdi has dug out the water, making the bowl dirty in the process. I use my own water though to clean out and refill because I think it's a good Samaritan that provides it on the mountain. He doesn't do it at home anymore though (water makes tile floors super slippery!!!, I almost went down once!) I've set the water bowls on a stand though, so he can't actually paw at it anymore

Both mine eat laying down as well, I don't think I've ever seen them eat standing up
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 12:01 pm

About the only time that either of my two will paw the water bowl is to reprimand me "Dad, it's empty!" It doesn't happen very often since I have to pass their bowl on the way to coffee but every once in a while. Can't help with any way to solve the problem since it's not one I've ever had ...

Sasha's lazy, if she's laying (lieing?) by her food bowl when I put her food in it, she'll scoot over and eat laying down. Avalanche - I've never seen him laying down while he's eating, but he's more of a nibbler.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Lol.....gotta love our huskies. I get such a good laugh hearing eveyone describe their fur baby's habits. I guess this is one of those things where I can only cross my fingers and see how she behaves a year from now. I've taken plenty of backwards dives in the kitchen from Red's "pool parties". So now I've always got an old bath towel on the floor for quick mop ups.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 12:55 pm

I should have said that I often have the water bowl on a bathroom rug since Avalanche spreads the wealth around when he comes back from a run.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 1:26 pm

Leo did the same thing as a puppy, he would dig out all the water and want more water in it to do it all over again. and when it was empty again he would he give you the puppy eye look of please can i have some more. we did give him a bigger tub to dig and splash in. he slowly stated to do it less n less as he got older but still splashes in the tub we gave him and at the water blow at the dog park.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Archer was the worst with this as a puppy. Last summer, I was forever filling the water bowls. This year, nothing. We didn't really do anything, he just appears to have outgrown it.
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Ok so I just realized I started this thread under "Scrapbooks". Embarassed Sorry if I messed anything up for anyone. As you can see, I'm a newbie and still learning to navigate this forum.

Glad to know I'm not alone with the puppy splashes, face dives and bowl tipping (surely no cow tipping here!).
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Oh, you didn't mention face diving before, ok, my lil girl does that, lol. She drinks with her face! Kohdi is my water digger, Mishka is my face diver, she uses her face to scoop water into herself. Her face is always clean though!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 4:45 pm

oh yes! Face diving (among other things) galore! Sometimes, after she has consumed water too quickly and frantically splashed out a whole bunch of water, she will behave like she's had a long dog day (pun intended) by laying her face down in the water bowl with paws still dipped in.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyWed Sep 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Mishka did this a lot as a puppy. I ended up having to get a raised bowl and he couldn't dig in it anymore.

He will still dig in any bowl that is flat on the ground though (even if the lip of it is high like a bucket).

Keytah2015
Newborn
Newborn
Keytah2015

Female Join date : 2015-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 12:48 pm

My puppy Keytah does this too she is going on 8months, its nice to hear that mine isn't the only one who does this. I noticed most people said their babies grew out of this habit but, I have been telling her no when she does it. Is this something you just let them do and hope they grow out of it or does any one else reprimand or tell their puppy no?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Keytah2015 wrote:
My puppy Keytah does this too she is going on 8months, its nice to hear that mine isn't the only one who does this. I noticed most people said their babies grew out of this habit but, I have been telling her no when she does it. Is this something you just let them do and hope they grow out of it or does any one else reprimand or tell their puppy no?

I just gave up on Archer - it was summer, he was outside - at that point, he was not allowed in the house - he was one Major Destructo, not reliably house-trained and was the original Energizer Bunny. Now he is grownup, he settles down in the house, no longer poops or pees when I'm not looking and leaves the door frames alone. Seems like an eternity ago and when we were going throught the puppyisms, I thought it would never end. And we only had him 3-4 days a week lol!
Back to top Go down
Keytah2015
Newborn
Newborn
Keytah2015

Female Join date : 2015-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks for responding. I just joined this forum its a great place for information and tips. I did years of research before getting my baby but you still learn things everyday funny and corky things they do. I have been blessed with a very good husky she is very calm not hyper/high energy unless she has been outside all day while I am at work and then when I get home she is very vocal and excited and then she goes back to being calm. I cant wait to get another one Smile
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 3:39 pm

At home she doesn't do it often anymore. It's only when when we put ice in her bowl then maybe sometimes she'll splash at the water to get the ice out but we don't stop her when she does that. At the dog park, where she will always splash, I have given up on saying no because I tried it in conjuction with blocking her or pulling her away and she still splashes. So I just let her be since that helps with her work out anyway (puppy arm lifts!)
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 4:58 pm

Our puppy splashes in her water bowl :-) On really fun days she splashes it and then runs around the kitchen sliding around everywhere, lol

Meeting her at the foster home:
Water Bowl Splashing 11693814_10155741342910557_5469235320714182171_n

Driving home after adopting her:
Water Bowl Splashing 11059894_10155749252475557_6466416874866479477_n
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Sleeping Qinu is so cute!!! What a great pic
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 5:25 pm

To help with the water splashing we started putting little amounts of water in the bowl at a time. Helps to reduce the mess, lol.
Back to top Go down
redlattinville
Teenager
Teenager
redlattinville

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 10:38 am

You're welcome!

We tried the same method at the dog park but our little she-bandit is still able to magically make a huge mess with only a small amt of water regardless. Oh well!
Back to top Go down
Westcoaster87
Puppy
Puppy
Westcoaster87

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Hahahaha, nice :-D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water Bowl Splashing   Water Bowl Splashing Empty

Back to top Go down

Water Bowl Splashing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1