It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Did Ami Alert ?!!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty
PostSubject: Did Ami Alert ?!!?   Did Ami Alert ?!!? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 12:29 pm

I've always said that if we were ever threatened on a walk, Ami would be between my legs cowering.  Well, I'm not sure but last night, while taking Ami for one last pee, a man showed up at the corner, in the shadows, looking a bit unstable on his feet.  I vaguely noticed him at first but was going to continue...then Ami whipped his head up from sniffing, turned around, stood very much at attention, stiff,  then something he has never done in the 2 years we have had him - he gave a low, sharp, growling sort of sharp bark.

I decided to head to the motel office, we then met a couple walking the other way and he was his usual more than friendly, tail wagging, ears back happy self to meet them...

The man that sent our shackles up had sort of closed in on us, asked if Ami was friendly (he was about 25' away) - I said "yes"...Wayne said I should have said "no".  But I don't want some jackass shooting my dog if it should ever come to that...

Am I foolish for having been so worried...
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did Ami Alert ?!!?   Did Ami Alert ?!!? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 12:42 pm

Not foolish. People are weird. Ami knew something was off with the person and it made him nervous. I too would have said no rather than yes if the guy had asked. Not so much on the fear the guy might shoot him but more on the line of thinking that if Ami is this bothered by the presentation of the man then he might be nervous enough to bite. Some dogs are bothered by strange movements that they don't see often and/or don't understand and they will perk for no reason. I had a dog that was scared to death of people with a limp. she had never been around anyone with one and knew there was something not right about a person with a limp. She wasn't to be trusted.

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did Ami Alert ?!!?   Did Ami Alert ?!!? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 1:10 pm

I would have said no. But then again neither am I lol. It sounds like quite an ordeal. I don't think it was foolish. Strange dudes are scary. Ami probably picked up on your nervousness. They can be pretty sharp.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did Ami Alert ?!!?   Did Ami Alert ?!!? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 5:56 pm

or be vague and say depends on the day and the person. i would trust his behavior towards the man and go the other direction like you had.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did Ami Alert ?!!?   Did Ami Alert ?!!? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Avalanche has never met a human that he didn't like - forget that! Sasha is reserved with almost everyone - forget that!

I once had a lab who I had never heard bark in warning; play - yes, warning, not even close. At the time I was living in an apartment complex that backed some "woods" where the kids would party at night and sometimes during the day. If they were out there, Lady would sniff and ignore them unless one came over to pet the pretty dog. Then one day there was an older man out there - he was picking up the kids trash aluminum cans - and for some reason Lady went on alert, got between me and him and with hackles fully up, just stood there. He started walking toward us and she let out a bark like I'd never heard from her. He had a few choice words about dogs and backed off.
Some people just give off vibes that the dogs sense and when I have a dog who's uncomfortable with a human, I tend to respect their opinion. In your case, I'd have said that Ami wasn't friendly, left it at that and left.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did Ami Alert ?!!?   Did Ami Alert ?!!? EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Yup...probably should have held on to his collar and said "No". Let people think my marshmallow is a hungry wolf...
Back to top Go down
HuskyLear
Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did Ami Alert ?!!?   Did Ami Alert ?!!? EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 10:17 am

I probably would have been vague grabbed collar and said well with most people

Sponsored content

Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Did Ami Alert ?!!?   Did Ami Alert ?!!? Empty

Back to top Go down

Did Ami Alert ?!!?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1