It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Depression After Surgery?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

Depression After Surgery? Empty
PostSubject: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 7:30 pm

As some of you know Klaus had his juvenile cataract surgery on Wednesday. I expected him to be quiet/tired maybe a day or two, but it has been 4 days now and he is literally moping around and sleeping ALL day. He hasn't wooed or wagged his tail since Sad

He was back to himself the day after his neuter, nothing like this. He isn't on pain meds so I don't think he is actually tired. I talked to the vet and they said just give him time and he'll bounce back, probably doesn't like the cone.

I just hate seeing him like this, any similar experiences?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 7:57 pm

Haley, I can't remember whether it was just one eye or both - but it really doesn't matter, sight is a very precious thing for all of us, human and canine.  From personal experience, when something effects our ability to see, it's disorienting at the very least and (in my case) downright disconcerting.

When he was neutered, it didn't affect, too badly, his ability to do the things he had done.  Not being able to see as he once did is going to bother him, even though he can / will be able to see much better - it's different from what he was seeing and his brain is going to have to make that connection.

From my own experience with cataract surgery - when the eye patch came off (after a week) I was able to see beautifully - from one eye - but my brain was still trying to see from the eye with the contact (until I had surgery on that eye as well) because it had had better vision for a long time.  To me - and I knew what was happening - it was both disorienting and confusing.  

Like your vet said, give him time to become acclimated with being able to see properly again and he'll bounce back.  If he doesn't - and my guess is within a couple of weeks - then you should probably take him in to the surgeon who did the surgery to have his eyes checked.  Cataract surgery is normally pretty straight forward but there's always that once in a thousand where things aren't quite right.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 8:09 pm

It was just the one (right eye). He can still see out of his left, the cataract isn't fully developed. I mean it could very well be him just needing time to adjust, but when he lost his sight in the right eye in the matter of 2 days, he didn't change in the slightest. Now that he can supposedly see he's depressed? I feel like it would have been the other way around.

It's just so weird to me. He's usually non stop, go go go, to now doesn't leave his spot for dinner. Will eat it, but isn't excited like he used to be. I'm sure the cone has a lot to do with it, he can't really do anything with it on. He might need to have it for up to 2 weeks. I can't picture him being this sad for 2 weeks!

He seemed to come off the anesthesia a little harder this time as well. He cried in his sleep the entire night, I hope he isn't traumatized from the whole event. But you are right, if it's hard for a human it definitely must be hard for him.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 10:05 pm

My guess is the cone had alot to do with it and possibly any residual eye pain.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 12:53 am

I don't have any experience with this, but I'm thinking Al is right, it's going to take more than a week or so to be completely back to normal, between the actual surgery itself, being put under, now the cone and probably still discomfort, it takes its toll. I do wish you guys the very best, just knowing from your pics how active and happy Klaus is, it must be difficult to watch. I'm sorry Sad I wish I could say something that would help you more.
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks guys. I decided to look up the medicines he is on to see if any of them have side effects and he is on the steroid Prednisone. I don't like some of the things I'm reading on it. I found it can cause lethargy and depression, some people even said their dogs were aggressive on it. It's an uncommon side effect but I can't help but wonder. Thinking about calling the vet and seeing how much longer we need to be on that. Plus it's making him drink/pee like crazy!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 1:00 pm

No help from me either, haley, just lending you some moral support, and giving positive vibes to you. I am sure in a few more days he will be better. As the others said it is a change for him. The prednisone may indeed be what is making him so down, it could be a secondary helper in keeping him calm while he heals, but I would call the vet and see if that is the problem, and to find out how long he has to take it.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 4:26 pm

aww, poor thing... I hope he starts feeling better soon.

On an unrelated note, his name and yours together make me think american dad. Was that your intent or a happy coincidence?
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Haha not my intent at all, I didn't find out about that until after we got him when someone else mentioned it!

The weirdest part is I named his after someone on the Vampire Diaries and then on that show Klaus ended up dating a Haley Laughing those two names were just meant to go together!

Update btw he is still pretty sluggish, but seems to be walking around a bit more today. I'm hoping it's a start of improvement!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Depression After Surgery?   Depression After Surgery? Empty

Back to top Go down

Depression After Surgery?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1