It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Iditarod harassment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Iditarod harassment Empty
PostSubject: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 6:36 pm

You know, I'm not about to get out and brave the Alaskan weather - that takes more "intestinal fortitude" than I ever had!!  

This fellow who ran into a couple of different sled teams needs some serious correction - like a couple of years worth at least.

Of course, it's all right, on the one hand he says he was just trying to make sure the musher was alright and on the other says that he'd just left the bar and doesn't remember a thing.  Sure stupid, being drunk cover a whole raft of sins!

RIP Nash; Get well quick Crosby and Banjo!

Quote :
Mushers Aliy Zirkle and Jeff King said they were attacked in two separate incidents outside the Alaskan village of Nulato. Both mushers were not seriously injured and have continued the race.

Good luck with the rest of the run!!!

Just realized that I can't spell Iditarod ...

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 8:57 pm

This guy is full of stories. Makes me sick Sad at least they caught him

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 10:17 pm

I cannot fathom this! How anyone can be so depraved. I do know that if he's having blackouts, he's been alcoholic for a good while. But a true blackout would have NO memory of the events. I'd like to see him go to jail and let his fellow inmates take care of him.

He sounds like just mean nasty evil person.
Back to top Go down
whitehusky3
Teenager
Teenager
whitehusky3

Female Join date : 2016-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 11:42 pm

There's so many variations of this story going around that I don't know what to believe anymore. All I know for sure is some dogs got seriously injured, one was killed, and this guy is to blame for it. Sad I hope those dogs and mushers have a speedy recovery. I know it's too late for Nash, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 10:49 am

The biggest dangers we face in this world comes from our fellow man. It is sickening and however the media or that dog butcher chooses to spin the story nothing about it is okay or forgivable in my mind. No apology brings back that dog, renews the others injured, or undoes his intoxication. I for one would like to see him rot for more than a couple years but reality I'm sure will bite us and he will simply get some time in the local jail and a fine.

I think the biggest thing that crossed my mind was how none of the mushers were armed it seemed. I heard that one fended him off with a wooden trail marker? While I'm sure being attacked by a human is not at the forefront of any competitor's mind, are bears not? Most everyone in that part of the world packs a gun with them in case of bear or wolves coming in to make them a snack. If this guy had come up on my team he would have been too dead to go after another team.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 11:49 am

Jenn, I quite agree with both counts.
The first that he'll probably get off with a slap on the wrist ... which, in reality, does no good for anyone.
Second, and I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it, but you're right - I'm surprised that either no one was "packing" or had the thought to use it if they were.  Vehicular homicide determines that an automobile is a deadly weapon, many snowmobiles weigh little less than a small automobile so a charge of assault with a deadly weapon would be appropriate and carry more than a slap on the wrist.  
I wonder what we as a group could do to influence the Alaskan judicial system to put a bit more emphasis on this case.  As you say, there is NO justification for his actions.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Without knowing how the individual dog owners affected are handling their legal action, I am not sure what we could do short or letter writing and petitioning. Putting a lot of heat on the justice system that will be handling his case can sometimes push them to actually do their jobs for fear of looking bad to the media. I am not familiar with Alaska laws, but if you can find the right legislator and do a writing campaign sometimes you can sway the higher ups to take action over the local cops. I sit on a state council and we have had good success with letter writing to senators and such but it's usually pertaining to laws we are for or against so trying to weigh in on a criminal case is a new one on me as to if it would have the same effectiveness.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 2:09 pm

From the Alaska Dispatch News

Quote :

Arnold Demoski, 26, is also accused of attacking musher Aliy Zirkle’s team earlier Saturday morning, injuring one of her dogs. He appeared in Fairbanks District Court via video Sunday afternoon, charged with two felony counts of third-degree assault, as well as six counts of fifth-degree criminal mischief, three counts of reckless driving and one count of reckless endangerment.

As I've been reading the reports about the "accident" and the race in general a few things come to mind.
While Arnold Demoski (the fellow driving the snowmobile) is from Nulato, the village - which reportedly has been actively supporting the race - is in no way to blame for his actions.  Even if, as has been suggested (I see no confirmation) Nulato is a dry village and he "had to go" to a neighboring village to drink - that places no responsibility on the village council for Demoski's actions - in fact it says the opposite to me.
Demoski has been co-operative by surrendering himself to the local troopers; he has chosen to make no further statements - which from what I've seen is wise because an idiot should really keep his mouth shut before he sticks his foot further into it.
The things he remembers / doesn't remember are amazing; he remembers coming around to make sure that Zirkle is alright, but doesn't remember hitting her?

I can understand a person having a problem - alcohol, etc (and there are comments that he also had a drug 'problem' as well) - but if you know you have a problem and continue to indulge it then you are the problem.  Personally, I hope they throw the book at him.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 2:35 pm

I feel like there should also be multiple counts of destruction of property as I'm sure they are lessening things based on many of the injured are dogs and not humans. Those dogs are still considered personal or private property and he destroyed them. I'm sure a civil suit will rise after all the criminal stuff is over (or it should) that should ream him financially for the rest of his life. These dogs were competing athletes and the livelihood of many of these people's kennels or businesses which means the man should be taken to court and fined the cost of each dog's worth as professional athletes. Dead or not, the dog's careers are over and this man should have to compensate the cost of the dogs the same as if he had killed them all. It's criminal negligence and that alone should win any civil suit regardless of if anything of the felony stuff sticks, which it should as long as the judge isn't the guy's second cousin or some such idiocy.

Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Oh no, the bail for him was set at $50,000 and the judge said that he'd have approved $500,000 if the prosecutor had asked for it (but considering what he probably makes working for the council - the difference between the two would probably be negligible [meaning he'd probably have as much chance of raising 50 as 500])

The judge also is reported to have said that he'd have gone along with terrorist charges if they'd asked for that.  I don't think the judge was all that happy (how's that for an understatement?)  The Iditarod, I'm guessing, probably brings in a pretty good bundle of change which is probably significant for the small villages on the route ... no, the judge did not seem like he was (favourably) impressed at all.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyMon Mar 14, 2016 5:39 pm

Well good for that judge! Hopefully, the prosecutor will reconsider his case and up the charges. It just breaks my heart thinking of those innocent dogs being so maliciously attacked. And so sorry the magnets were put through such nastiness.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyWed Nov 02, 2022 8:19 pm

I'm just glancing back over some older stuff and this item caught my attention. Of all the charges and sentencing that could have come into play, Arnold Demoski, the fellow driving the snowmobile was given a six month sentence.

See the full write up on CBC News

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment EmptyFri Nov 04, 2022 1:43 pm

Well that's sickening. Hopefully the lawsuits that should have also come his way will have a greater impact.

PostSubject: Re: Iditarod harassment   Iditarod harassment Empty

Back to top Go down

Iditarod harassment

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1