It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KarsaBear
Newborn
Newborn

7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early? Empty
PostSubject: 7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early?   7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 4:41 am

We adopted a Husky cross (1/2 Husky, 1/4 Great Dane and 1/4 "Mixed breed") 3 months ago (he's now 7 months old) and as first time husky owners, we're new to his vocalisation. He isn't vocal in terms of howling but he does whine quietly, almost like an old stove kettle going off. He does this when playing (and then is usually develops into a high pitch yelling sound) and also randomly. We've figured out what some of it means (for example he does it alot in anticipation of things like when we come home from work and are getting ready for a walk he does it) but other times we can't figure out why he's doing it and I was wondering if it's just a typical husky whine that can't be helped?
He gets about 1.5-2 hours exercise per day and has plenty of toys available to play with. The biggest issue is his whining in the early hours on the morning. He sleeps on a doggie bed in our bedroom and, up until 1 month ago, stayed on it all night but he will now get up at all hours of the night and stand by the bed and cry quietly and the only thing that stops it is letting him up on the bed where he'll promptly fall sleep and stay that way until midday (if we don't coerce him into coming on his morning walk - he's definitely showing his Great Dane genetics in his laziness). Most times we just try and ignore him and not let him up on the bed but sometimes we've given in at about 5am because we work and we need some sleep.
Is this normal vocalisation for a husky or is it him just pushing the boundaries and us needing to train him more? Anyone have any advice?
Thanks!
P.S. We're considering crate training but from what I've read this doesn't necessarily stop whining!

Last edited by KarsaBear on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add more information)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: 7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early?   7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 12:23 pm

Is it normal vocalization - well, I have two who whine when they want something until they realize that I'm not paying any attention to them then I get barked at.  Neither of mine howl unless I'm watching a Husky video then Avalanche 'sings along'.  The vocalizations cover a whole gauntlet - bark, whine, howl, woo-woo, you name it - and when you add in other breeds, well, it can really change from the 'normal' Husky howl.

Is he pushing the boundaries (that you've let slip)?  I'd say so.  Huskies, as a rule, are *very* people oriented - meaning if you'll let him sleep with you then that's where he's going to want to be.  Again, my huskies are "broken" one sleeps beside me on the floor and the other has her own room where she stays most of the time (it's considerably cooler).

Since you've given in and let him on the bed, you can expect him to consider the bed as his, too.  If you hadn't, he'd have spent a few days getting the idea that he has *his* bed and that's where you expect him to sleep.  

Crate training for this purpose isn't going to help a lot - and you really need to read up on how to introduce your Husky to a crate or you're only going to exacerbate the problem.  Crates are great for keeping a dog out of trouble when no one is around and their use when you are around is apt to cause more noise, not less - your Husky wants to be with you and confined to a crate when you're in the house - well, that doesn't work.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Rumflower
Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: 7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early?   7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Is he on a regular feeding and bathroom break schedule? Mine wakes me up by screaming at me when he has to potty.
Back to top Go down
KarsaBear
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: 7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early?   7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early? EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 2:38 am

He slept on his own bed for about 2 months until he started the whining to let him up.

And he's on a regular feeding schedule but we have a doggy door so he's free to come in and out as he pleases so he's not on a bathroom break schedule.

Sometimes he'll just be playing with a toy and stop and just look around and quietly whine a once or twice, for example as I'm writing this he's sitting next to me chewing on a toy rope and he just stopped, looked around the room and whined quietly twice and then continued chewing. It doesn't bother me I just want to make sure it's not out of the ordinary!
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: 7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early?   7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early? EmptyThu Jul 14, 2016 1:34 am

What I have noticed and what that sounds like with my husky, she will do the exact same thing, be chewing on a bone then stop. Whine or get up and walk around then go back to chewing. She is very bored or wants something, usually to go outside. So he could just be bored as this breed seems like they are never entertained long enough to keep them happy lol. As long as he's not in pain for any reason I really wouldn't worry. Huskies definitely let you know how they are feeling most of the time. Maybe wear him put before it bed time ? Miya is crate trained and she will Whine sometimes if I haven't given her enough exercise, like she's throwing a fit because she isn't tired and wants to stay up.

Teaching your dog the quiet command is really not terrible, might sound mean but it not. My Gsd is the biggest whinner more so than my husky, I taught him at a young age, that winning to get what he wants or just to be noisy isn't acceptable when it is bed time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early?   7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early? Empty

Back to top Go down

7 m/o Husky cross whining randomly and early?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1