It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is it a Husky or a Malmute?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ziad Khalid
Newborn
Newborn
Ziad Khalid

Male Join date : 2017-01-27

Is it a Husky or a Malmute? Empty
PostSubject: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptyFri Jan 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Hello guys, I've adopted a Husky puppy that I'm actually wondering if it's actually a Malmute.

Here's the father :
Is it a Husky or a Malmute? Reihan10
Is it a Husky or a Malmute? Reihan13

Her father and mother :
Is it a Husky or a Malmute? Reihan14

Her (75 days):
Is it a Husky or a Malmute? 16357610

I'm only curious to know because she's way bigger than my other husky and has longer hair and he's actually 24 days older than her :
Is it a Husky or a Malmute? Dsc_0410
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 3:38 am

Are the first 2 pics of the sire? And do they both have blue eyes? and lastly if the only pic of the mom is the right hand dog in the last pic, do you have a pic of her standing?

They look like mals the dad for sure, however, according to most breed standards for mals, AKC for example, blue eyes are not seen with mals. With that said, I suspect mostly mal with some husky, although I would need to see body structure of mom, so I suspect your pup is at least 50% mal and 50% husky, and with mom picks could give a better answer. I will be more than happy to point out the mal traits for you after you answer my questions. Smile Absolutely stunning puppy no matter what breed she is!
Back to top Go down
Ziad Khalid
Newborn
Newborn
Ziad Khalid

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 5:41 am

Thanks MiyasMomma,
Yes, the first 2 pics are the father's and unfortunately I don't have another pic for thr mother.
They are both blue eyed yet the puppy is brown eyed.
I know the mother is a husky as I've seen her in real life, the father however is as I suspect a husky/malamute mix just like you said.
Could my puppy take more from her father? The malamute genes I mean?
And thank you sir she's indeed beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Mother looks Husky.
Father...if it weren't for his very heavy brow and the sturdiness of those front legs, I'd have said he's a fluffier than average husky like my boy Kohdi, but I never see that brow (almost makes his eyes look tiny) on huskies so I think I'll go Husky/Malamute mix on him. It's only a guess though, and it's not even an educated guess, haha.
Beautiful puppies you have.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 12:57 pm

While this, in no way, advances the answers that have come to your question, I have to question the parentage ... in Huskies and Mal, blue eye are recessive ... meaning that both parents have the recessive gene, short of a mutation there's no way that two blue eyed parents could produce a brown eyed pup.

And I'll correct myself with a link to a page on eye color and genetics.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Al, that is correct in huskies the blue eyes is a dominate, and that is why in the malamute breed standard it says brown eyes only, if a malamute has blue eyes then in the line there was a husky.

The female does indeed look to be husky, her head structure looks to be husky, although she appears to be large, it could be just that the breeder isn't breeding for conformation and that is why she wouldn't appear to be breed standard.

The dad on the other hand could be the result of 2 malamutes but that a grandparent was a husky, hence why I said the puppy could be 50% husky and 50% malamute.

Structure of dad...........heavy boned with plush coat, over the back tail curl seen in malamutes more so than huskies, ear placement off to the side of the head (husky ears are on top and closer together), there is a slight tuck, huskies will have a more pronounced tuck, softer looking eyes (it's just a thing I have seen, Jimmy has pointed that out before), hocks are different than a husky as well.

Your puppy......yes she could end up taking after the father, since there is always a mix of genes from both parents. Her ear placement looks more like dads vs mom, tho all 3 have husky shape. And her being significantly large also precludes me into thinking she will be a bigger dog at maturity.

Although I have not looked at this breeder as to if a "good" breeder or not they did post up a chart on the differences between husky and mals and seems pretty accurate

http://www.aquilakennels.com/mal_husky.php

and here is a pretty accurate pic of the difference in looks and structure husky on left malamute on right

http://www.pupsor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/malamute-puppies-vs-husky.jpg

Again, gorgeous puppy!! and I am a ma'am not sir. Smile No biggie on that, but thought I would mention it to you. Can't wait to see pics of your 2 puppies!! and watch them grow.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 2:57 pm

I set corrected, thank you. Since all dogs basic eye color is brown, it surprises me to find that blue is dominant in Huskies ... something I think I should have know and "you learn something new every day".
(( or is that simply my age and memory showing on me ... and be nice! ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 3:23 pm

I found this on eye color...and I'm posting from my iPad, how cool is that?! I finally figured it out, haha

Is it a Husky or a Malmute? Image15
Is it a Husky or a Malmute? Image16
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Jimmy, very cool Smile Yep it is a trait that is unique to huskies, the blue eyes being dominate. I have read about malamutes and the reasoning behind breed standard as only brown eyes. In the developing stages of the breed, in Alaska, there were breeders for racing kennels, I would have to get the name of the woman, but she had huskies, mals, and chinooks. And what separated the mal and husky and what eventually was told was that there was no separation of breeds when breeding. So there were mixes of mal and husky, and out came blue eyes. So when the breed standard was written in order to claim a pure mal it has to have brown eyes. If the mal has blue, then there was husky in the upline at some point, could be several generations, but because of the husky dominate blue eye color, even 2 mals with brown eyes, and one having husky in it's pedigree somewhere can produce a blue eyed mal, and therefor the mal would not be considered a pure mal but a mal x husky. Hope that made some type of sense. Smile
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySat Jan 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Maybe it doesn't matter Renee, but this site says the blue eyes and the brown eyes, are co-dominate, in huskies. That both parents can either have both brown eyes, and produce a blue eyed pup, or both parents having blue eyes and producing a brown eyed pup...or, of course, both colors ending up either in the form of bi-eyed or parti-eyed.

In regards to the moms size. I'm not sure if it's just camera angle cuz I look at my own block retaining wall in my backyard and picture Mishka next to it, cut out any background and I'd have a fairly large looking husky when I know Mishka is tiny, lol. Same goes for the dads pic, first pic he just looks massive but I know when I get down low to take pics, Kohdi (and Mishka too for that matter) looks bigger than he actually is, I see that just in the scrapbooks here. I'd say mom is well nourished though Smile it'd help if we had some measurements like weight and height to go by.

With Malamutes, the darker the brown in the eyes, the better...and Malamutes generally have some dark brown eyes. This pup reminds me more of Kohdi, or Ronin's "Leo" or Graham's "Wolf", where they're light enough you see the pupils easier like you would in blue eyes. I wonder if this pup has some of that amber/hazel brown eye color going on like in many huskies.

I do think the father has Malamute in him for sure. My Malamute had a tail just like his. It's fairly short, but even with the plush coat, the tail doesn't get added "length "the way it does with my Kohdi.
Back to top Go down
Ziad Khalid
Newborn
Newborn
Ziad Khalid

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your help Renee, Jimmy and Al Jones.
So I guess its settled that she's a Husky/Malmute mix Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Having had a Malamute, and having Huskies my whole life, I can tell you with certainty that your little pup is going to grow up to be one amazing dog...but you probably already know that Wink Have fun with your little ones, and I hope you stick around, I'd personally love to see these two in your pics, growing up.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptySun Jan 29, 2017 6:14 pm

interesting read jimmy, i didn't know that blue eyes were domain in huskies.
those are some cute puppies. i would agree with everyone, she look like malamute/husky mix. she we grow to be an amazing companion.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 12:51 pm

Strength of a mal and the craziness of a sibe? I see a running dog, a leash, and a dust ball with an occasional foot or hand visible from the twirling mess!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? EmptyTue Mar 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Hughie wrote:
Strength of a mal and the craziness of a sibe?  I see a running dog, a leash, and a dust ball with an occasional foot or hand visible from the twirling mess!  

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it a Husky or a Malmute?   Is it a Husky or a Malmute? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it a Husky or a Malmute?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1