It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 1:51 pm

HA! I was confused too. Now I read it correctly.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Oo00- LOL. Yeah, now I got it. I was like, holy crap! Hahaha. Smile Oops!

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2010 11:59 pm

I feed My babies iams Large breed Puppy They all do Well No Issues ~
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Acana, Orijen, The Honest Kitchen. Thinking of getting a bag on Taste Of The Wild, cause I have a coupon for it. As you can tell I change up her diet a lot, but always with good quality kibble. And I usually feed 1 cup in the morning and 1.5 cups in the evening.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

Female Join date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Quick note: Dogs are omnivores:)
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

Female Join date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Here's a link to a peer reviewed scientific journal to support that. And guess what? The test group was made up of sprint racing Siberian huskies:) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19480731
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Currently Koda is eating Ziwipeak Vension and Fish, as well as Primal's buffalo or sardine grinds.. and of course he gets RMBs!

For treats we've switched over to purely dehydrated treats too. One ingredient alone and that's it!
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 9:13 am

So we converted to the dark side of TOTW for both dogs. Roxy has been barely eating her Blue Buffalo wilderness and Milo has been on every flavor of the blue buffalo puppy and still has loose stools and bad gas so we bought a big bag of High prairie and are slowly switching over.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Embrys eating Taste of the Wild, we switch it up between the wetlands and high prairie flavors so he doesn't get bored.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Both of my dogs get fed a prey model, raw diet. My vet is astounded at how healthy they are and to quote: "I'm not sure what you're doing but whatever it is keep it up because it works!"
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:50 pm

So jealous... I wish I had the time, patience and dedication to do that. Good for you!!

Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:59 pm

After doing it for 3 years it becomes like second nature Smile
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 9:36 am

Heh, no kidding. I gave up on the research part of raw feeding. Once supplements and troubleshooting came into play I was out.
Back to top Go down
kmayf9
Newborn
Newborn
kmayf9

Male Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 pm

So we are feeding Sequoyah Loyall Brand Active Adult Formula for multiple reasons that start with cost and end in wellness. I have had a hard time finding many places that carry it but it is a grainless dry food that high in protein and exactly what she needs. Best part about it is that a 50 lb bag only costs about $25.00 before taxes. I really appreciate all of the other information given here as well, some really good suggestions if she ever starts turning her nose up at it Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 10:33 pm

Do you have an online link to said kibble, I can't find info on it anywhere.
Back to top Go down
kmayf9
Newborn
Newborn
kmayf9

Male Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 1:24 pm

http://www.loyallpetfood.com/loyall/en/index.jsp

They have a store locator on their website, I personally pick it up at Cal Ranch, but thats a South East Idaho and Northern Utah chain of ranch supply stores. Let me know if this works well for you!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 3:29 pm

kmayf9 wrote:
So we are feeding Sequoyah Loyall Brand Active Adult Formula for multiple reasons that start with cost and end in wellness. I have had a hard time finding many places that carry it but it is a grainless dry food that high in protein and exactly what she needs. Best part about it is that a 50 lb bag only costs about $25.00 before taxes. I really appreciate all of the other information given here as well, some really good suggestions if she ever starts turning her nose up at it Smile

First off the food is not grainless and is not high protein, although I know "high protein" is relative. I would not consider 26% protein to be high but rather average for most kibbles. When most people say high protein I think they are referring to foods in the high 30's to 40% + range. Where you read that it was grainless I don't know but it's got wheat and rice in it. As far as meat, what meat exactly is in your dogs food? Good question, we don't know because they don't tell us...mmm, mystery meat. Please note, none of that is said with any disrespect towards you whatsoever. Just pointing out some errors. Smile

The ingredient list for Loyall Active Adult Formula:
Ingredients

Poultry by-product meal, ground whole wheat, wheat flour, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, dried plain beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, whole flaxseed, dried egg product, extracted hydrolyzed citric acid fermentation presscake dehydrated, bentonite, potassium chloride, menhaden fish meal, sodium hexametaphosphate, propionic acid (for freshness), vitamins: (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals: (zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc amino acid complex, iron amino acid complex, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, manganese amino acid complex, ethylenediamine dihydriodide,
sodium selenite), salt, brewers dried yeast, yucca schidigera extract, mixed tocopherols, citric acid, rosemary extract.

kmayf9 wrote:
http://www.loyallpetfood.com/loyall/en/index.jsp

They have a store locator on their website, I personally pick it up at Cal Ranch, but thats a South East Idaho and Northern Utah chain of ranch supply stores. Let me know if this works well for you!

I can tell you Heather definitely won't be trying this food! Laughing It's loaded with cheap fillers and by-products and would send her Koda down a spiraling slide of non-stop diarrhea! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Haha, I wasn't planning on trying any kibble, as you know kibble will never ever be part of Koda'd diet ever again, I was actually wanting to see what the ingredients were because it is unrealistic for a good food to be that price,. Ouch!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
I was actually wanting to see what the ingredients were because it is unrealistic for a good food to be that price,. Ouch!

That was exactly my thoughts too. $25 for 50 lbs of a good grain free food? Way too good to be true. Razz
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 4:33 am

I have been feeding Jasper Authority and he loves it. I just recently switched Grace and Buddy to Authority as well and they love it too. We were feeding them Purina Trim until my brother-in-law, who used to work at Petsmart, educated us on the different ingredients and recommended Authority.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 12:19 pm

AgentCaroline wrote:
I have been feeding Jasper Authority and he loves it. I just recently switched Grace and Buddy to Authority as well and they love it too. We were feeding them Purina Trim until my brother-in-law, who used to work at Petsmart, educated us on the different ingredients and recommended Authority.

Just an FYI, Authority still has a lot of those ingredients that don't belong in dog food- wheat, corn, brewers rice.. unnecessary cheap fillers that are not a natural part of a dog's diet, especially corn-related ingredients. I see a lot of similar ingredients in Authority that Purina Trim has (corn gluten meal, corn germ meal, wheat..) . A lot of sibes gain an intolerance to grains overtime which is a mess- especially corn, it's the #1 problematic ingredient in dog food.
Not to offend your brother-in-law at all, it's just that Petsmart stores definitely lack in quality food so I think a lot of the emoployees aren't aware of what ingredients should not be present on the dog food label. I've had friends who've worked there and told me what they were taught and I go Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 2:33 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
AgentCaroline wrote:

Just an FYI, Authority still has a lot of those ingredients that don't belong in dog food- wheat, corn, brewers rice.. unnecessary cheap fillers that are not a natural part of a dog's diet, especially corn-related ingredients. I see a lot of similar ingredients in Authority that Purina Trim has (corn gluten meal, corn germ meal, wheat..) . A lot of sibes gain an intolerance to grains overtime which is a mess- especially corn, it's the #1 problematic ingredient in dog food.
Not to offend your brother-in-law at all, it's just that Petsmart stores definitely lack in quality food so I think a lot of the emoployees aren't aware of what ingredients should not be present on the dog food label. I've had friends who've worked there and told me what they were taught and I go Rolling Eyes
What do you recommend that is around the same price range as Authority? The only places here that sell pet food are Wal-Mart, Petsmart, and Petco. Until business picks up again in my office, I am on a rather limited budget.

ETA: I was just thinking, with the amount of gas money I spend driving an hour and a half to Las Vegas for Petsmart, I could probably afford to buy the TOTW brand instead since they supposedly carry it at this one pet store in St. George, which is only a half an hour away from me. If I remember correctly, TOTW is an all stages dog food right? Does that mean that I can get the same one for my 9 week old AND my two 4 year olds? Or are there different ones specifically for puppies and one specifically for adults?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 3:01 pm

From what I hear, TOTW is all stages and is just fine being fed to a puppy and adults. Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyWed Nov 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
From what I hear, TOTW is all stages and is just fine being fed to a puppy and adults. Smile
Yep Smile We're on TOTW. For the lower budget, it's one of the better foods out there if you're okay with buying from Diamond Pet Foods.

Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Soo After all These Years I Read up On The Iams Animal abuse Theorys And Im Saddened .. I Believe Im Switchin To TOTW For a Lil See How My Girls Like it .. Mira is startin to get a Lil Picky cuz she is gettin tired of iams.. SO Hopefully she will Liek it .
Anything Negitive about it ? @ all ? Gas ? Burping ?
My Girls Have No Issues right now ~
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 29  Next