It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Want some second opinions on getting a husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeta497
Newborn
Newborn

Want some second opinions on getting a husky Empty
PostSubject: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 1:01 am

So I have found myself in a similar situation to this person. I've done a lot of research on huskies and I really want to get one. I'm willing to do what it takes to have one: exercise the crap out of it (for my benefit too!), spend a lot of my personal time taking care of it, deal with the hair, etc. The one thing I can't reconcile by myself is that I will be working 5 days a week for about 7.5 hours. Now there may be opportunities for a split shift. However, I live alone right now. I may have opportunities to enlist some help, but I'm not sure yet. I'm really unsure if, despite my willingness to otherwise provide the best I can for a husky, if it's acceptable to own one with such a such a schedule, or if it can work, especially once trained and house broken (I do hopefully intend to start with a puppy). I don't think my options for help would want to be used indefinitely. I'd have plenty of time outside of work to play and exercise, but pretty much no matter what there would be 4-5 hours of me gone twice a day, 5 days a week if I could get split shifts; or roughly 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week if I can't; or some mixture of both. I could really use some experienced input here. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

Female Join date : 2018-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptySat Jun 23, 2018 10:02 am

Many Husky owners work normal jobs, 40 hours a week. I don't think that's a problem, especially if while the dog is a puppy you can either hire help or, take the dog, in a dog crate, to work and, take him out on your breaks.

I know two husky or husky mix owners who are long haul truck drivers and, have them in their semi trucks, that's a 70 hour a week job with 11 hours per day driving- dog riding and, the dogs do fine. After work, they are allowed to run and play on a long line in fields near truck stops and vacant parking lots. They get out for a few short breaks in rest areas during the workday and, have toys and dog puzzle games in the trucks to keep them busy.

When physical exercise isn't possible, mental exercise is the next best thing for them.
Back to top Go down
Kmanweiss
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2016-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Zeta, have you ever had a dog before? I'm not saying it's impossible to start off with a husky, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you've had dogs before, and understand that a Husky is a huge jump up from your average lab, then you may be ok. If you haven't had a dog before though, I highly recommend a starter dog. Hit the local pound or shelter, find some laid back older dog and get acquainted with a lower difficulty dog. Feeding, exercising, caring for a mutt or simple breed will help you understand how to care for pets, then you can imagine taking that animal's needs and multiplying it by 3 or 4 to get your idea of what a Husky needs.

My wife and I both work 40+ hrs a week. We have kids, those kids have activities, we end up traveling a lot, and we have other obligations. But it's not a problem as we have a good support system. Both of us work with the dogs, as do the kids. So anyone can feed them, take them on walks, or clean up after them. We also have dog loving neighbors and friends that can pitch in when we are all gone at the same time (we do the same in return). So being solo, you're going to want to have a strong support structure of people you can depend on to help out when needed.

A husky needs a TON of exercise and activity. They also need a ton of companionship. They are strong willed and require a little extra effort to train properly.

Our husky gets an hour long run in the morning, let out during my lunch break for 30 minutes into the backyard to go wild, and gets 2 trips to doggy daycare a week for socializing with all his friends. He also gets an evening walk most days. During the summer he gets an extra walk from the kids during the day. Weekends he gets even more attention. He'll spend the entire day most of the time in the backyard, and he'll get a good 5k run at least once a weekend. I've never seen him tired.

It's possible for someone in your situation to have a husky, and for that husky to do quite well and be very happy. But it will take a good amount of ongoing dedication on your part to make that happen. I'm not trying to detour you from your plan, but I want to make sure you are properly prepared.
Back to top Go down
jumpshipsam
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2018-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptyTue Jun 26, 2018 11:57 am

Our husky, Gatbsy, is 4 years old and does fine during the day when I'm at work. I am able to go home midday 2-3 times per week, but otherwise he is fine. We're very lucky with him, as he no longer needs to be crated and is not destructive in any way. When he was a puppy, however, I made sure to take him out every 4 hours at the most. Slowly, he was just able to last longer during the day.

We are also roadtrippers and have traveled cross country with Gatsby twice (once from CT to WA/OR and once from CT to LA, and also often from CT to ME and VT) and he is completely content in the car and we would stop every few hours for a break.

I will say that if you are planning to crate during the day, more exercise when he finally gets out of the crate will be really important. These dogs need to stretch their legs and move around, so being crated all day really builds up their energy.

Good luck, they're the most incredible dogs.
Back to top Go down
Zeta497
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 1:29 am

Hey guys! I just want to say thanks for the story examples and advice so far!

I want to respond to a couple things you guys said and clarify some points, so perhaps we can continue the advice train.

First, to Kmanweiss, you said a couple things I'd like to touch on:

Kmanweiss wrote:
Zeta, have you ever had a dog before? I'm not saying it's impossible to start off with a husky, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you've had dogs before, and understand that a Husky is a huge jump up from your average lab, then you may be ok. If you haven't had a dog before though, I highly recommend a starter dog...

I had a family dog I helped with some back in grade/highschool. It was mostly my "mom's" dog, however, and she mostly took care of him. Then I went to college. So it's been some time. The short answer is, no, I've never been personally and entirely responsible for my own dog, but I do have some decent experience with dogs.

That said, I've done my research into huskies. So, to explain that, I'll respond to a few more points:

Kmanweiss wrote:
A husky needs a TON of exercise and activity. They also need a ton of companionship. They are strong willed and require a little extra effort to train properly.

Our husky gets an hour long run in the morning, let out during my lunch break for 30 minutes into the backyard to go wild, and gets 2 trips to doggy daycare a week for socializing with all his friends. He also gets an evening walk most days. During the summer he gets an extra walk from the kids during the day. Weekends he gets even more attention. He'll spend the entire day most of the time in the backyard, and he'll get a good 5k run at least once a weekend. I've never seen him tired.

I've done all the research on what makes a husky. I'm aware of the struggles: the energy, the possible world destruction, and the hair explosion, etc. I really want this dog. I want the exercise, companionship, beauty, all of it. I'm willing to do what it takes, but I digress; the exercise plan:

My default working hours are going to usually be about 7am to 3pm. So my (work in progress) plan is to go on a shorter walk in the morning before work, then have someone let it out midway through. They'll ideally take it on a short walk (15-20 minutes hopefully) and let it do its business. Then when I get home mid afternoon we'll set out for some serious exercise, such as a daily run and trip to the park right behind my apartment.

As for socialization, I had already thought about this, as I know some people with dogs that are not very well socialized and I do not want mine to be like that. I have friends, family, and will have neighbors with dogs that I plan on socializing it with.

Kmanweiss wrote:
So being solo, you're going to want to have a strong support structure of people you can depend on to help out when needed.

So I don't live far from my parents, who have a dog and may be willing to help. Also, I already have a friend who is nearby who has said he'd be willing to help out with stopping by to help along the line of what I mentioned above while it's a puppy. I'm moving an apartment complex where I'm told a lot of people have dogs (it's one of very few in my area that offers rather lenient dog restrictions compared to most others). I'm not getting the dog right away, either so I've still got some time to build this out. But I'm really trying to plan ahead and find any real hitches in my plan here early. So far things are looking pretty good.

Another thing I'm looking at is the possibiliy to work 10-2pm and 5-9pm 3 days a week so I could perform the midday duties, and then maybe use my friend 2 days a week, or my friend 1 day and my mother (who I'm sure would enjoy having her new dog make friends with my new dog) 1 day. This spreads it out a little for my helpers, making it much easier for them to help, and let me do more of the work for my own dog (which I want!).

jumpshipsam wrote:
I will say that if you are planning to crate during the day, more exercise when he finally gets out of the crate will be really important. These dogs need to stretch their legs and move around, so being crated all day really builds up their energy.

As for crating, I'm sure I'll have to while it's a puppy and being house trained. However, later I hope crating will not be necessary so at least it will have the slightly better luxury of roaming my apartment when it has to be left there. If you refer back to my main exercise battle plan, my intention is to make a dang good companion workout part of my daily routine whenever I get home from work.

Thanks for everything so far guys! If anyone else wants to chime in or add more, please do!
Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 10:28 am

Look into dog puzzle toys and, other ways to let a dog problem solve. It is a great way to occupy a Husky, or any high energy dog that has to stay indoors for a few hours. If their body can't be exercising, give them a way to exercise their brain instead.

A bored, energized dog is a destructive dog - eliminate either, or both and, you don't end up with things destroyed.
Back to top Go down
Zeta497
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 10:37 pm

I looked into the puzzle toys. I had never seen toys like this before, but they look awesome! I think I'll definitely try a couple of those out, even if just to try and raise a smart dog haha. Thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
bluemoods
Puppy
Puppy
bluemoods

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptyWed Jun 27, 2018 11:33 pm

Those toys are great for the dogs. Another game for them is the classic pea (dog treat) under a cup and, you shuffle three or four cups with the treat under only one and, let the dog find it.

We also do a Kibble hunt in the house. I put all of the dogs outside, hide pieces of kibble all around the house, leaving a few pieces in the middle of floors to get them going on the hunt, let hem in and, the hunt is on. You have to make it easy at first but, after a few hunts, you can be very creative in hiding kibble and, they will find it.

Anything that makes them search for food engages their senses and instincts and, lets them hunt as their wild ancestors did. Don't forget the cat toys too, those hard plastic wobble treat dispensers offer endless amusement for a Husky. Mine love this one - just don't bother with the strings for it.

Want some second opinions on getting a husky FR7906_Misty_Wobbert_Kibbles
Back to top Go down
R_shepsky
Puppy
Puppy
R_shepsky

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 12:46 pm

You sound really organized and prepared! :-)

re:
"I'm moving an apartment complex where I'm told a lot of people have dogs (it's one of very few in my area that offers rather lenient dog restrictions compared to most others)."

The only thing that rang an alarm bell for me was this apartment living...it seems difficult to find rentals that allow large dogs (the ones near us have a weight limit). Pet-friendly apartments in this area charge pet deposits and "pet rent" up to an extra $200/month. There seem to be always a few threads on forums posted by people who are looking desperately for housing because for some reason, they had to leave their previous dog-friendly apartment...(changing job, rent raise, etc.) Also, if your husky is a howler - unlike with your own home, your neighbors may complain to the landlord.

Sorry, I am not wanting to be Gloom and Doom! Smile  

I'm just saying to Be Careful about your housing situation...being unable to keep a dog because of a renting fall-out, is one of the big reasons that dogs get turned in to shelters. I would check in advance to see if huskies are OK at the apartments you'll be moving to (no 30 lb weight limit, no breed restrictions, etc). And I would then be very nice to my landlord...
Back to top Go down
Zeta497
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky EmptyTue Jul 03, 2018 4:20 pm

So I already checked all of that. I asked before I applied there because I wanted a husky. They have no weight limit; they only restrict certain breeds, but allow huskies. I already know the costs of pet rent so I’m good there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want some second opinions on getting a husky   Want some second opinions on getting a husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Want some second opinions on getting a husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1