It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Male or Female Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

Male Join date : 2012-11-03

Male or Female Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi, I’m looking to get a husky puppy to add to my pack. I currently have a female Yorkie and a female husky/Pyrenees mix who get along great. Both are betas, thankfully. The yorkie was around before my husky/Pyrenees mix and I got her around 8 weeks old thankfully. This ensured that she would get along with her and the other yorkies I had at the time. The yorkie is about 9 years old and the husky/Pyrenees mix is about 5 or 6 years old. Anyway, I’ve been reading about possible same sex issues. I have the choice to get a male or a female and though I want a female but after reading about people’s experiences with two females, it got me concerned. Several years ago, I had a male husky puppy that started fighting when he got to be 6 months old and I had to get him adopted. So I know it can go both ways. Do y’all have any recommendations? Should I consider a male over a female? Or, is it possible to “test” a female for dominance (like rolling them over) to get an idea of alpha/beta? I appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Doray
Newborn
Newborn
Doray

Female Join date : 2017-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 9:11 am

Hi Kelly,

I only have huskies and my female husky dislikes other female dogs visiting our house. So for my situation I have ruled out getting another female dog and I decline petsitting them. You can try pet sitting and see if they are ready/ok with other dog/gender/breed. The young husky is probably going to be a big pest to your lil old yorkie.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 11:51 am

Any puppy will be hard to test for dominance but in general a dog that likes to push in front of the other pups for food or attention is more apt to have an alpha personality. That doesn't mean it will correlate into fighting though. My female won't tolerate other females either though. I have a female and two males. I do not have fighting issues with my males. Get them fixed and much of that will be curbed. Females tend to be more controlling. They are often less cuddly. I feel they learn easier and are smarter. My males are more cuddly and while they learn easy they aren't what I would call smart. They lack the intuition of a female.

Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi TwisterII, if a husky female grows up with other females, is she likely to be tolerant of other females already in the house? Is yours intolerant of other females in general? This has me kind of thinking or considering a male. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Doray wrote:
Hi Kelly,

I only have huskies and my female husky dislikes other female dogs visiting our house. So for my situation I have ruled out getting another female dog and I decline petsitting them. You can try pet sitting and see if they are ready/ok with other dog/gender/breed. The young husky is probably going to be a big pest to your lil old yorkie.

That’s a possibility. I was pretty concerned with Miska (husky/Pyrenees mix) when she was younger and thankfully she’s very gentle with Bella (my yorkie). Bella is definitely not like an in your face feisty kind of dog. She can get rambunctious though. But as I understand it’s pretty much individual when it comes to the husky. So I’ve been there before and it is a concern.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 10:13 pm

I would go for a male my luck with multiple females in the house especially now has been a disaster (didnt start that way) both my husky mixes are female and my gsd and my terrier are male. My husky/wolf has same sex aggression issues and my husky/naid ended up being other animal aggressive my 2 boys tho never fight with each other or the wolf dog (they run and hide from the husky/naid so we keep her separate)and unless they follow the lead of one of the females are pretty laid back around other dogs and are much more predictable but i do agree with females being smarter and more empathetic
Back to top Go down
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 2:40 am

I appreciate all the replies. It appears the majority says to go with a male (even though I prefer a female). But I’d rather have peace than risk having possible issues later. Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 11:24 am

Adding my .02.

We got two puppies - a male and female (littermates). We already had a 12 year old female Aussie. They all get along well. The two huskies go after each other now and then. It always seems like the female starting it. She's also possessive when it comes to toys and food.... but not always.

They never fight with the Aussie, but she is very submissive.

In the end, I think it comes down more to the individual dog v.s. male or female. That being said, I know of a GSD breeder who will not sell a female to a home that currently has a female dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male or Female Husky?   Male or Female Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Male or Female Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1