It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rehoming squirt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 6:16 pm

I have come to the very sad conclusion that i need to rehome squirt. If anyone has had to rehome a dog because other then my wolfdog going to a cousin i never had what are "red flags" i need to worry about. Called a few rescues in denver and was told they wont adopt out any dog that has either gone after a person or another animal and reccomended euthanasia so im flying blind doing this. Im actually willing to bring her out of state wherever if its the right home.... and i feel utterly terrible about this
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 8:29 pm

You have my sympathy here. I have a dog who's bitten me (of all people, ME?!?) Over the years we've dealt with food aggression/possession and it was the result of that that I got myself bit.

The last time I ended up getting EMS out and then a trip up to the ER for stitches - so she's got a police record. I thought for a long time that something had to be done - and thankfully it was working WITH her that seems to have solved my problems - because there were no other alternatives. As you're finding any dog who has a record (whether that's a bite or fight or chasing domestics) has almost no chance of being rehomed.

Sasha got a promise from me that if she ever bit anyone again I'd have her put down myself because where I am there is no other alternative. Working with any one dog when you have others (I have three) gets to be a real hassle. Sasha and Sky have had fights that have drawn minor blood ( but none within the last couple of months (knock on wood!) )

I feel for you, I seriously do ... wish you and her the best of luck finding someone who has the patience and ability to work with her.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 11:59 pm

Don't remember the issues.  Have you thought about a muzzle?

This is the  story of my guy with bite history.   Like Al, I  am his last  stop.  If he doesn't make it here, I'll give him the best day of his life and then say goodbye.  The muzzle keeps him alive.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t16630p75-blazze-becomes-z-ev-follow-his-journey-from-death-row-to-member-of-the-family
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 5:46 am

The biting me issue has only happened when i have split up fights. The bigger issue is attacking other animals. Killing cats and livestock makes her unadoptable in Colorado. If there are no other animals around she is the perfect dog. Working on muzzle training for in public but that doesnt change the dynamic in a house with 4 dogs. She would be great in a house with no other animals, which i cant provide. Before the incident that started the animal agression she was a certified psychiatric service dog and thats where i feel like i should have done something to protect her which defacto makes all this my fault. And i feel guilty that i can fix the situation ny installing some extra doors and creating a second dog area if i can get a fence company to show up and not want 10k for 400 feet of fence. Years ago i could do the fence but not with the current spinalncord injury. So i failed and i disagree with putting an animal to sleep because i cant provide the right environment. Ive got my cousin coming in the spring to help with the fence problem and i still may be able to keep squirt but she deserves so much more then primarily living in a bedroom alone.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Our big problem with Z'ev in the beginning was him attacking our resident dog. Between using the muzzle, ecollar training and a rigid (initially) schedule of training, we have been able to integrate him into the family. It also involved teaching my bouncy, big red fluffy that not all dogs want to play. If you are committed to this dog, I would suggest bringing order to your pack using crates, muzzles, ecollar. Everyone should have rock solid basic commands as well as "out" and "place." Until you have command of everyone, leashes should be worn whenever dogs are out of crate. Initially, that might even mean tethering to something sturdy. This gives you control.

I spent many an afternoon, sitting with Z'ev tethered to my chair while my other dog lay quietly in the same room. Most of the time now, there are no issues, Z'ev has even begun to initiate play at times. We still, once in a blue moon, have a tussle but now I can holler at them and stop them. Very occasionally I have to pull Z'ev back (he goes back for a second try).

Note that this is not a fast process. It took me about 2 months before I could even move Z'ev's crate into the house from the shop. THen we started walking the dogs on opposite sides of the street, gradually getting closer and closer. Another few months before I could walk them together by myself. Itty bitty baby steps, incrementally. The ecollar saved his life, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Minus the ecollar and muzzles we were doing that for quite awhile. If you look at my avatar pic even tho squirt is in the crate and spider isnt and they look perfectly fine things were going well until they weren't. Ive had a veterinary behaviorist out 2 dog trainers and i have had the wolf and exotic canine behavoirist out . We tried to eliminate triggers and stressors tried training classes to get them to pay attention even in chaos. And what turned out to be the biggest trigger is my gsd barking or anyone moving quickly. But all the professionals said the same thing that squirt either needs to be rehomed or i  need to look at managing it from a containment standpoint which is the current situation. I would love to keep her amd for over a year i have been trying to find someone to fence my property properly but i am not delusional in thinking she will never be ok around anything smaller then a horse which is why im seriously considering rehoming her. So far i have a 21 year old cousin who said hed come help with placing the posts in the spring but thats not guaranteed and i have to keep options open. One thing that every professional said was i have a small dog and a almost blind German shepherd and i cant let them be collateral damage and that when its 2 females really bad things can happen. And ive got 4500 in vet bills that prove them right. Im ok with them being a group of 3 and then squirt but by my standards in the current situation squirt is being neglected and wether its a new home or i mod the house and yard to keep everyone something has to happen. And the current fence i cant let anyone out unattended because it will and has broken before. I put up a flyer today at my uncles animal hospital and monday im gonna call the va person thats in charge of our finances to see of she knows any vets that need a best friend that are stable enough to care for a dog. Im not in a rush cuz i would rather keep her i just dont want to get my hopes up. And with dogs i dont own squirts line seems to be 5 feet they get closer and its a fight but if they ignore her she ignores them. But only on leash, off leash she will go out of her way to start fights with bigger usually short haired dogs
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 10:21 pm

Sorry to hear... Never an easy decision. Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySat Jan 26, 2019 10:35 pm

For a veteran with ptsd that really needs a cuddlebuddy/emotional support dog but doesnt want a fully fledged service dog she would be perfect. Shes kinda a velcro dog but not in the anxiety type of way
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 10:29 pm

So i figured out how i can keep her which makes me very happy. I can have the fence that wraps around the hpuse and still have room for a 100× 60 ft dog area for squirt that still allows for 25 ft between the 2 enclosures. Between the bulletin board and contacting the local 4h groups i should be able to get someone probably a few kids that can do the fence now to wait for when the ground isnt feozen and concrete can cure properly
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 11:27 pm

That pleases me! When I went up to have had 'surgery' last month, I had a friend come in to feed my dogs and I was so afraid that Sasha would object to the new person (even though she's seen him several times.)

I had that same fear when you felt you had to surrender Squirt. As you found out a 'vicious' (and I realize that's not how you see her, just as I don't see Sasha as vicious) dog almost cannot be rehomed. I was afraid someone would take you up on your offer, only to find out that he couldn't safely walk her or take her around other animals.

We, at least, know our animals quirks and know how to deal with them when we need to - someone else ... no, we know where that would lead.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Yeah one of my biggest fears was someone would want her as a bait dog or would think im exaggerating about her issues then later bring another animal home it gets killed and she gets euthanized also she will be 7 in sept amd in general older dogs are harder to find homes for.Shes actually extremely well behaved in public unless a loose dog approaches but one thing ive noticed about Colorado especially where i live people dont believe in leashes
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptySun Jan 27, 2019 11:49 pm

What sucks is i was doing behavioral modification to reintegrate her into the pack and it all went out the window when shadow my gsd starting really having problems with his pra and i have no clue how to do behavioral modification when its an underlying medical issue until shadow goes completely blind. But really i probably will just have her separate from the other dogs until she dies. And sometimes i forget that im not dealing with 2 dogs i am dealing with a dog and a wolfdog even if spider is low content high percentage
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 12:30 am

What part of Colorado are you in? I have family in Longmont, Frederick and Greeley. I can put the word out to see if they know anyone who can help build what you need.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 am

San luis vally (sort of) South fork near wolf creek pass. Halfway between alamosa and pagosa springs
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 11:13 am

I am glad that you have found a work around. Hopefully the coordination of it all works out. I was going to say if rehoming was a must then I would probably go through your trainers to assist in finding a home. They know what the triggers are of the dog and what kind of home would fit best with what they have witnessed and could hunt around for the right place and vet the new home for you. Many trainers have clients who reach out to them when it comes time to add a new dog to the family or they work with other rescues that they can put the word through as to what they are dealing with. My big white male is food aggressive and made substantial bites on two people due to it. I couldn't rehome him either if the need arose. It is sad because he is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever had just has the one real vice and it's a dangerous one unfortunately. My female will kill small animals. That's always just been a given. Keep her on a leash or behind a fence away from them.

Puppy
Puppy
TheFluffisReal

Female Join date : 2019-02-02

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 5:27 am

I am so sorry to read about you having to rehome Squirt. You mentioned that she is a wolf dog right? If so I do know of a bunch of places across the US that take wolf hybrids. I can give you the links?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 pm

No spider is my wolfdog. squirt came from the Navajo nation and shes a Siberian husky/native American indian dog. And im hoping between the 4h kids and the local bulletin boards i can find someone to put up the fence now that bank of mom has approved a loan
Back to top Go down
TheFluffisReal
Puppy
Puppy
TheFluffisReal

Female Join date : 2019-02-02

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Good luck. I really hope that the fence is the solution that does it.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 4:23 pm

It should i hope also working on how to build inside fencing to keep accidental interactions at 0. Wont solve the feeling like im neglecting her in winter. But will give her space where she can be out and ill be able to actually play with her without having to take her off the property. Her and spider had a very good interaction yesterday BUT squirt was in the truck and spider was outside the truck on a leash so no possible physical interaction. I think the fence thing will work with the space between the 2 fences because the 2 dogs see each 0ther all the time. Squirt looks out the window at the other 3 and i would swear she wants to play i just know where that goes if the dog is bigger then a chihuahua. She has this "im going to get them before they get me" attitude and she doesnt so much play as look for an opening while the other dog is off guard. Thousands of dollars later this fence is the last option. And i do have a sanctuary that will take her if it comes down to that but i know they will never adopt her out and she will be an outside dog and i can do that and keep her and not feel guilty about rehoming an almost senior dog
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 5:10 pm

I take it you are not open to ecollar training? Between ecollar and cheese, I was quite successful at turning Z'ev around from eating any dog in sight to him now trying to play on occasion. Yesterday, I let all three out, Ami, Z'ev and my son's dog Archer (who has his own resource guarding tendancies.) When I didn't see Z'ev in sight (he is not trained to the invisible fence) I went out front, gave a whistle and all 3 dogs came happily running from the northwest woods.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 7:14 pm

I have one i found it next to useless. Im into resistance free training (dogs/horses) also evry professional has said not to put one on a wolf or a wolfdog. I think i could resolve the issue if the 2 boys weren't in the picture. Or if my hubby would help with the issue but hes bipolar and wont or cant really not sure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rehoming squirt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rehoming squirt   Rehoming squirt Empty

Back to top Go down

Rehoming squirt

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1