It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Reputable Breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shyilan
Newborn
Newborn
Shyilan

Female Join date : 2019-03-14

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi, I have been looking for a breeder and I think I may have found the right one I have been asking them questions through email to which they wholeheartedly respond.

I have visited their kennels they are very very clean, puppies get a ton of attention, all dogs are well groomed and exercised and the puppies stay in an indoor kennel once again very clean.

They have a health guarantee as well as a contract, The dogs are all AKC registered and well socialized.

I have never had a reason to believe they aren't reputable until recently something has brought some concern, I noticed on their upcoming litter's page one of the dogs they were breeding was an agouti colored male, I didn't think much of it until I saw that agouti puppies would cost more I know the agouti coat isn't a common coat color however I didn't think breeders charged extra for it.

Is it a common practice for even reputable breeders to charge more for a rare coat?

I haven't had any doubts they were reputable until now, Is it normal or am I being paranoid?

The kennel is Bamahuskies

Thank you for your time and answers Very Happy

Last edited by Shyilan on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

@shyilan Well, from what I've seen it's not common practice since a dog has to have some kind of fur and pretty much any type of Husky can produce any other type (not technically true but for arguments sake)

It sound like they must have just decided that since the agouti is less common then they can get away with asking more money for it.

If you don't want to post the name of the kennel (and if they're reputable they shouldn't mind) send it to me in a PM and I'll see what I think of what I can see.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Shyilan
Newborn
Newborn
Shyilan

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Thank you @aljones
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Ummm... Not the worst but. No health testing as OFA no CERF (or whatever they do now) these test hereditary hop eye diseases. She does not appear to either show or get dogs. And her bitches are not, to my eye, high quality on terms of conformation. One even a wooly which is a fault. I would say she is a back yard breeder who takes very good care of her dogs but not much to maintain and improve the breed. Notably, her health gaurantee does not include hereditary eye diseases, a high risk in the breed. You could do worse. You can do far better.
Back to top Go down
Shyilan
Newborn
Newborn
Shyilan

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm

@amymeme Thank you. I will definitely keep looking
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 2:56 pm

And in my PM to you, I missed the fact that they don't have OFA / CERF.  Additionally, they have no information regarding the registration / pedigree of their dogs.
Amymeme wrote:
You could do worse. You can do far better.
Yup ...

Compare what you see there with Midnight Sun yeh, I found it.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 am

Her guarantee sucks. Dogs are pretty though and seem to fall into standard for size and weight. Not all breeders will list their OFA/CERT certifications on their site, is it something you asked about or are you going by what's on their site? Since eyes are not mentioned in her guarantee, it's something I would definitely want proof of before obligating to a puppy. Breeders will also not always list pedigrees on their site, so it's something to ask about seeing as well. As far as asking more money should Agouti be produced, I believe that is a big no no. It can't even be argued that those puppies might have a more spectacular lineage and thus priced higher because 1. I could be wrong but prices should be the same regardless of lineage...2. If the litter should produce an Agouti or two, but the others are more standard in color, they still share the same lineage so why would the price be different.

Overall I'd be weary. Dogs are very pretty and I've seen much much worse when it comes to byb's, price is not extraordinary either, but things like eye checks are EXTREMELY important. If she isn't doing them, I wouldn't buy from them just on that aspect alone.
Back to top Go down
Shyilan
Newborn
Newborn
Shyilan

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 3:10 am

@Artic_Wind Thank you the agouti price thing really threw me off, however, I agree the dogs are very pretty. I have started looking for another breeder from the SHCA reference and I already have a few I'm considering and the difference in applications and the guarantee is definitely noticeable.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 am

The eye cert is important But my german shepherd was certified eyes and hips and still got pra. Im just really glad i decided not to stand him at stud
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 9:55 pm

@Lostmaniac ...how does that happen? Is it possible the paperwork was fake? I've heard that's why some breeders don't post that information online, it can get duplicated, then doctored a bit, and ta-dah, some official looking documents to help sell their puppies
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2019 10:01 pm

Hes an import i got when he failed out of air force training i never saw the kennel i do have his paperwork includes dna test weird fluke about his eyes. My vet said the eye cert is correct 98% of the time so i guess shadow is in the 2% his half brother sombra is way well known in Colombia which is where shadows sire was at stud. He was born in Belgium
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reputable Breeder? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reputable Breeder?   Reputable Breeder? Empty

Back to top Go down

Reputable Breeder?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1