It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How behaved was yours at 1 year?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

How behaved was yours at 1 year? Empty
PostSubject: How behaved was yours at 1 year?   How behaved was yours at 1 year? EmptyMon Jun 03, 2019 11:51 pm

Hey what's up guys!

My guy is turning 1 year in a couple months and I just wanted to see how he is doing in comparison to other huskies that was his age, and see if his current issues are completely normal for his age, and if they will go away with continued training....

Right now the only issues are:
- Lunges at other dogs to play when he gets real close, only dogs.(Have gotten a lot better compared to before)
- Goes crazy when greeting other people, will jump up and never greet calmly if someone wants to pet him
- Sorta can't leave him alone unsupervised, only thing he will guarantee to chew are remotes if left on table
-Run out the front door if accidentally opened

Did any of you guys have similar issues with your huskies at this age and did they go away with continued training?
Is this too many issues for a 1 year old dog?

I am a first time husky/dog owner and not sure if these are normal behaviors for a 1 year old dog, so im kinda losing my mind, and so I just wanted to see how other huskies are doing, thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: How behaved was yours at 1 year?   How behaved was yours at 1 year? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 12:25 am

It sounds to me like you have a normal crazy puppy who has no manners. Wink

Training.. consistency... time... rinse... repeat.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How behaved was yours at 1 year?   How behaved was yours at 1 year? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 am

Yuppers. 'bout right. At one year, my guy (just adopted) a big, out control, happy go lucky goofball with absolutely no training and full of puppy energy.

Training. Lots and lots of training. Remember, even training, you're training: a dog does a behavior and gets away with it, learns that behavior is acceptable. Teach "no" to start, decide on what your house rules are, and enforce them.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How behaved was yours at 1 year?   How behaved was yours at 1 year? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2019 5:42 pm

I guess mine are at both ends of the spectrum. If that was all spider did at a year old i would have been amazingly happy and called her an angel. At a year old she ate the bathroom. Crunched the doornknob ripped the wall off chewed a hole in the floor where i could see daylight coming from under the mobile home pulled the sink off and would have flooded the house if our well had been properly working. Squirt was a really well behaved puppy. She did have the jumping issues but we established who she can and cant jump on. And she had a hoarding things issue that she still has but atleast now its her toys and not paper bags and paper wrappers.

Yours sounds perfectly normal
Back to top Go down
dekiai
Newborn
Newborn
dekiai

Male Join date : 2014-09-12

PostSubject: Re: How behaved was yours at 1 year?   How behaved was yours at 1 year? EmptySat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 pm

That sounds perfectly normal at a year old! All dogs are different though but at a year old, that's when they usually get experimental and angsty. Lightning has always been pretty smart and had a full schedule of daily training and walks but that never stopped her from sneaking out of the house (she learned to turn some doorknobs in the house), challenging any other dog that came her way, brought home the occasional bird/rat/little animal, bathed in the blood of a stray cat she mauled, etc.

You've got it good, brother! They're always gonna be excitable and wild -- its just a matter of redirecting the energy. Light is 5 years old now and she mellowed down around 2 and a half years of age. Just took a lot of time and consistent training! And walks! Walk them for long and walk them often!
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: How behaved was yours at 1 year?   How behaved was yours at 1 year? EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 9:56 pm

sounds normal 1 year old to me.
leo didn't chew things.Suspect he ate odd thing if he could find them on the ground How behaved was yours at 1 year? 1625187496 . he still from time to time will jump up on people when he gets exited.
just be consistent with training, be patient and lean to laugh and make it fun when training.
i would have to say it was around 2 and a half to 3 years old when things got better.

Last edited by RedFlashFire05 on Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How behaved was yours at 1 year?   How behaved was yours at 1 year? EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Squirt never had issues but i would run her for miles. Spider started getting better around 3.5 (winter wolf syndrome aside) but i still wont leave her alone in the house not even to run the trash out to the spot it gets picked up or the mailbox 2 streets away. Spider has that exteme seperation anxiety thats common in wolf/husky crosses. Shes more like a kid then a dog. She might be ok now but if she goes after the logs that really hard and expensive to fix and im not giving her the chance. She ate her way out of a mobile home by going through the floor after destroying the whole bathroom. The landlord was not happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How behaved was yours at 1 year?   How behaved was yours at 1 year? Empty

Back to top Go down

How behaved was yours at 1 year?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1