It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky and Guinea pig

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
melissa89
Puppy
Puppy
melissa89

Female Join date : 2016-12-11

Husky and Guinea pig Empty
PostSubject: Husky and Guinea pig   Husky and Guinea pig EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 1:03 am

Well I just had a horrible experience. I walked into my son's room and opened the guinea pig cage to give the Guinea pig some food. Well my 3 dogs ( 2 huskys and 1 American eskimo) barged into the room. My youngest husky reached up and into the cage. She grabbed the Guinea pig. She had him in her mouth and my American eskimo was ripping out its fur. My other husky luckily didnt do anything. But when she put the Guinea pig down I was then able to grab onto all of the dogs but it was too late. There was no blood but he obviously had broken bones since Guinea pigs are fragile. I had to have my son pick him up and go into another room since I couldn't let go of the dogs. I'm just sick to my stomach and I cant even look at the dogs right now. They're currently in their crates and whining like crazy since they normally sleep with me. I also have a cat and 14 year old shih tzu so now I'm worried about them. Ugh any advice?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Husky and Guinea pig   Husky and Guinea pig EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 1:23 am

So ummm not advice so much as my experience and you have enough that the "pack mentality" also is factor. So i used to have 4 dogs and 2 cats. Came home from Thanksgiving to find my cat rambo dead. 2 weeks later someone got my other cat. So 4 dogs turns to 6 then back to 4. Fast forward awhile and squirt wants to kill spider or really any 4 legged anything. And fast forward to today had a slight mistake and it almost ended with splinter getting killed by squirt. Squirt is the problem my other 3 are fine around cats
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Husky and Guinea pig   Husky and Guinea pig EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 12:30 pm

I would definitely watch them with the cat for a while but most likely if they have always been around the cat and the cat has clear and easy places to get away from them should the need arise, it will be okay. The guinea pig was an easy catch that wasn't "part of the family" to them and that many together is hard to get stopped without something drastic. Crate when away at work if you don't already and try to keep them calm. Too much rowdy play around the small animals I would try to mitigate for a while.

Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Husky and Guinea pig   Husky and Guinea pig EmptyWed Mar 04, 2020 3:31 pm

So sad! When our girls were young ,we had Piggies and they were so sweet and used to wheek loudly whenever they heard me chopping vegetables. ( We didn't get our dog until after the Piggies passed.)

So...dogs have that hunt/prey instinct which probably made the difference between Starvation vs Survival for them. I tend to not feel disgusted by my dog when he manifests it - I know he has deep wired instincts to chase, track, grab, shake and even eat prey... I see it just in the way he plays with a flirt pole or with a tug.

Once when he was out in the backyard by himself, he found a nest of baby rabbits and picked them up and shook them - the same way he shakes his stuffed animal toys...all four died. He carried them in and laid them in his dogbed. Shocked Anyway it was really disturbing and sad, yet I understood that those are his innate instincts.

I don't know if your dogs were out to actually "Kill" the guinea pig, or to them it was an unusually active squeaky Toy.

But anyway, yea, I agree with a few precautions like TwisterII suggested.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky and Guinea pig   Husky and Guinea pig Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky and Guinea pig

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1