A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Critical Neighbours

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gillian
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2017-10-20

Critical Neighbours Empty
PostSubject: Critical Neighbours   Critical Neighbours EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 8:02 am

My son works at a shop next door to us and his fellow employees love to criticise him over our care of our dog. They say she is underweight and that we're not looking after her properly. She is small, being the smallest in the litter, but she is very strong and feeds well and the vet says she is in good health. Fortunately they haven't made any comments recently, but does anyone else have to put up with judgemental neighbours?

Gillian
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Adult
Adult
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Critical Neighbours   Critical Neighbours EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 am

Hmm yes spider looks anorexic when her coat is blown, and one thing ive noticed is everyone knows more about your dog then you do. They also know the breed better even if they have never met that breed. Well thats what they think anyway. Most dogs in america are over weight so when someone sees a dog thats in shape they think there is something wrong. I find people in an area i take squirt are extremely critical of squirt and her behavior. On the everyone knows more then you this is what happens with squirt. Squirt is non reactive to other dogs/people/objects when she is on a leash within reason. I do not let other dogs approach her because she cant be that close to other dogs. Every once in awhile i come across someone that thinks because i wont let thier dogs approach squirt that she should not be in public and one lady with 6 toy poodles thought squirt should be put to sleep. The ladys words "there are so many perfect dogs that any dog with an issue should be put down like that mutt you have". Thats another thing i get criticized for... none of my dogs are allowed to interact with unknown dogs.

So just ignore the guys at the shop accept that everyone thinks they know more then you and do what youve been doing.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Critical Neighbours   Critical Neighbours EmptyMon Apr 20, 2020 10:58 am

I'm usually the judgmental neighbor, but that's just because everyone around me lets their dogs bark constantly and never takes them for a walk.

My big male looks horrible in spring because he's allergic to everything. His hair falls out and he looks like he has mange sometimes because the pollen in the air causes his skin to itch and ooze. He gets medicated baths and his dose of prednisone goes up but there's nothing for it. Never had anyone say anything to me wondering what horrible things I do to him, but I do feel bad for him and there's nothing anyone else could do more than what I already spend a fortune doing for him. If you have a vet that will stand behind you stating that your dog is seen when it should be seen and is healthy then there's nothing their complaints can really do other than be an inconvenience.

Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Critical Neighbours   Critical Neighbours EmptyFri May 15, 2020 4:37 pm

Thanks. They tend to be judgemental about everything that we do or else they're just winding him up because he gets frustrated easily - he's autistic. I've told him we're not doing anything wrong and what we do or don't do is none of their business.

Gillian
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Adult
Adult
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Critical Neighbours   Critical Neighbours EmptySat May 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Yesterday on the incredible dr pol they had a great analogy to this only with horses. A guy buys a thoroughbred as a barrel racer and no matter how much the horse eats it doesnt gain weight so he takes it to the vet. The vet looks at the horse and says hes a very nice looking horse but it will never look like the fat quarterhorses you are used too.

@gillian So i lived in southern Ireland for a little over a year and now that i think about it, i didnt see one husky the entire trip.
Back to top Go down
Kdavlin15
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2020-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Critical Neighbours   Critical Neighbours EmptySun May 24, 2020 6:18 pm

I've experienced the same judgment with my pup. Lostmaniac is correct, people seem to think they know more about your dog then you do for some reason. I have also been told that I should put Leela down because when she is excited she makes noise that sounds like snarling and she has been mistaken for aggressive. I always have to tell people, "She's friendly, she just loves to talk!" I would just ignore it, as difficult as that is when you are being accused of not taking proper care of your pet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Critical Neighbours   Critical Neighbours Empty

Back to top Go down

Critical Neighbours

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1