It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! Empty
PostSubject: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyTue Oct 06, 2020 10:05 pm

Hey everyone!

This crossed my mind as I recently couldn't remember the last time I vacuumed my house.
My 2 year old boy has been fed Taste of The Wild since he was a puppy then I switched to Acana for the longest time and I recently switched him over to Orijen(fish flavor) and I noticed something strange.....He isn't shedding like before?!?!

When he was on the previous listed foods, he would shed regularly and I would have to vacuum a few times a week as there would be fur everywhere in the house, on the carpet and balled up in corners, plus so much fur would stick to my hand after petting him, even during the summer when he had his summer coat.

........But now I hardly have to vacuum since there's so little fur in the house, no more clumps, and barely any fur sticks to my hand when petting.

He also poops a lot less then he did with previous brands and I still feed him a little more than two cups a day and his coat is also looking much fuller.

I have heard that feeding a raw diet helps with the shedding because of no fillers. Is it possible that this brand works well for him and that's the reason for all the things I've listed? The reason I switched him over to Orijen was because the previous brands were high in peas and lintels and were listed in the top ingredients, versus the Orijen which has these listed far down the list.

Thanks!

P.S.- Haha couldn't post this topic without posting the crazy himself!
Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! SGpTblL
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 10:54 am

I've heard good things about Orijen but haven't tried it myself. I use Purina Pro Plan Sport with success. He may be absorbing more of the food for his body to use and that's why there's less poop.

Huskies have a a smaller enzyme count for amylase (enzyme that breaks down starch) than other dogs so they do much better on a more carnivorous diet than omnivorous.

Was he going bald from the fur loss? Vacuuming multiple times a week is pretty normal.

He's a gorgeous boy.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 11:46 am

@Kavik_the_Havoc Thanks!
No, he wasn’t going bald or anything. It just crossed my mind that after switching him over to Orijen, I haven’t been vacuuming the house like I did before and there’s less fur in the house. Haha

Earlier I was just thinking about the price tag and if it was worth it, but after a little thought.... it’s totally worth it!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Anytime you find the food that works for your dog you will see positive effects. Each dog is a little different so it might be a different food for any given dog that good things will be noticed with. I've had my best luck in the shedding and skin department with Go Solutions. It did better for my dogs in shedding than raw, but i have found it hard it hard to beat raw in the poop department.

Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 1:15 pm

I get so nervous about changing dog food because spider has major gi issues on top of the needing high protein and low carb food and shadow cant eat anything with feathers. Right now everyone in my house is blowing coats so the really thick winter undercoat comes in. I wish mine would shed less.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Mine are shedding to I’ve got tumble weeds of white beige and black fur blowing around!
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 5:26 pm

When do you guys think he’ll start growing his full winter coat? It’s only around 70 degrees here in Maryland.

Though does outside temperature even matter, I mean since he is inside all the time where it’s nice and warm, I’m guessing he won’t grow his “full” winter coat because of this.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 6:07 pm

I really dont think the temp has much too do with a full coat. I think it has more to do with day/night length. Ive heard maryland has been cold at night.. at leaat in the howard County area. It gets really cold here even for huskies. At about -10 or colder mine wont go out.

When is the end of corn/soybean season in md? When i lived there it seems like that was when the undercoat shed/regrow happened
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 6:49 pm

Mine is big time blowing his coat too and it's still in the 80s here. The puppy is too young for coat blowing, but he sheds plenty on his own. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 8:43 pm

Today was hot. 77 right now, supposed to snow Saturday night and Sunday then back to the 70s on Monday
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyWed Oct 07, 2020 9:22 pm

My two have been eating Orijen for awhile now. I switch between the fish and Regional Red. Both shed as normal, haha, in fact they are still blowing coat at the moment. I had them on Acana as well and will not feed them that ever again, it was causing them to lose patches of their coat, why? I have no idea but it's obviously a food that isn't good for these two. Both are doing well on Orijen though so it looks like I FINALLY found something that's good for them. Kohdi was fine with anything but Mishka has been a struggle finding a food that agreed with her.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 am

I'm going to try it! Lach's coat is good but the shedding is brutal, especially during the 2 coat blows a year. He got bored of TOTW, so he's been eating Blue Wilderness and Nulo. He seems to like variety LOL.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Mine wont touch blue, and the number of recalls and complaints bothers me. Seems to have started when they were bought out. The only complaint i have about essence is the price and that i have to drive through the pass to get it.
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 6:12 pm

Windfishin wrote:
I'm going to try it! Lach's coat is good but the shedding is brutal, especially during the 2 coat blows a year.  He got bored of TOTW, so he's been eating Blue Wilderness and Nulo.  He seems to like variety LOL.

I have the six fish one, it's a bit pricey but he'll love it! Haha and it smells really bad, as in fishy. Great for him not so much for me! Laughing
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 6:14 pm

Lostmaniac wrote:
Mine wont touch blue, and the number of recalls and complaints bothers me. Seems to have started when they were bought out. The only complaint i have about essence is the price and that i have to drive through the pass to get it.

For the number of recalls, are you referring to orijen? If so what was t for? At this point I've heard about recalls for just about every brand.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 9:23 pm

If you have a question about recalls, take a look at my recall thread then do an advanced Google search for about any flavour you choose.  I started posting the recalls in 2005 and have posted almost all of them since.

To date, Orijen has had no recalls here in the States ( one older recall in Australia )  a big however is that Orijen is made by Champion, a Canadian company, and some other of their foods have been involved in recalls.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 pm

No, not orijin. Blue has had a ton of recalls and for awhile the grain free dental chews were killing dogs.

And for recalls i dont think essence/zignature (pets global) has ever had a recall
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! EmptyMon Oct 12, 2020 11:03 pm

aljones wrote:
If you have a question about recalls, take a look at my recall thread then do an advanced Google search for about any flavour you choose.  I started posting the recalls in 2005 and have posted almost all of them since.

To date, Orijen has had no recalls here in the States ( one older recall in Australia )  a big however is that Orijen is made by Champion, a Canadian company, and some other of their foods have been involved in recalls.

WOW, wonderful thread! I'll check it out and use it for future reference. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!   Have I found the miracle food for my dog?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Have I found the miracle food for my dog?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1