It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Walnut Tree

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 8:46 am

So my neighbour who moves in end of last year, this autumn she’s found out she had a walnut tree and very kindly gave me a bag of walnuts. So then I had a idea on growing my own walnut tree from the nuts she gave me! So I cracked of the pointy bit of the shell soaked it 24 hours in water in the fridge then wrapped them in tissues and left in a warm place for 3 weeks. I really wasn’t expecting anything to happen but 3 weeks later annnddd 3 nuts have sprouted!!! So I have now planted them in a pot and put them in the sunny side of my kitchen window!!
So does any one have any experience with growing walnuts, when you plant them out? How long they will take to grow? And when will they produce there own walnuts?
Walnut Tree 57c13410
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptyFri Nov 27, 2020 11:33 pm

I don't know about English walnuts but we have black walnuts out here. Growing on the tree, and falling on the ground is this baseball sized lime green, rumpled skin thing. You take that off and the hard shelled but it's inside. And a bit later, your hands, and anything that touched it, are a deep, dark, brown.

Also, walnuts, at least black walnuts, are strongly allelopathic, inhibiting growth to neighboring plants, particularly solanacea(tomatoes, peppers, eggplants.)
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Does that mean if i plant walnuts all the sagebrush will die? Ive noticed quaking aspens seem to act invasive, the way they shoot clones
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Since we're talking trees and not just nuts trees, I have a question.
Last winter my fig tree stayed inside, got put out when it warmed up a bit. We had an early frost this year and it got nipped pretty well, all the leaves turned and dropped - well, the silly thing is putting out new growth. If I leave it out and we get out typical winter - a few cold snaps (nights in the 20/30 and days in the 50's) with possibly a day or two of heavy snow (that's two to three inches, maybe) what the impact on this tree going to be? I can move it back inside but I'd really like to plant it eventually.
We had figs over in Lake Charles where the weather is similar to what we have here, we're maybe a few degrees colder on average, and those fig bushes produced a nice crop yearly. I saw fruit set this year but got nada that was even approaching edible.

I need some help!! please!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Wrap it in a blanket for winter. Thats what people up here do
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 7:52 am

Yeah I have heard the black walnuts trees release a toxin that kills other plants. I know with the dye, we got a black walnut tree up the road and my mother in law trued to de husk then and she had brown fingers for weeks. My walnuts that have grown I don’t know the exact name of them but they drop the walnuts with out the husk, like the picture below.

@aljones you can also get plastic bags wrap, people over here use for there roses that bloom late.
Walnut Tree 8a7ee110
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptySun Nov 29, 2020 5:15 pm

I want to do fruit or nut trees, but other then pie apples nothing but pine and aspen. Interestingly both are edible. Then again when you think desert it doesn't make you think of trees
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptyMon Nov 30, 2020 1:16 pm

@aljones a lot depends on what kind of fig tree it is but I wouldn't attempt to plant it now. I would wait until next spring and then plant so it can establish through the summer and then you can mulch and wrap it for next winter. Let it get frost nipped again to put it back into dormancy and then throw it under the house or porch for winter where it is cool but won't freeze hard in the pot (don't forget to toss it a little water every now and then). A lot of figs do need that dormancy period to rejenerate. If it gets hard froze in the ground they will often sprout back from the base, but depending on the kind this may cause you to not get fruit if it's a variety that fruits on old wood. You'll just have to prune off the winter killed ends. I have a Celeste fig and it's in the ground. It went in this spring and grew through the summer. In cold climates we have to do multiple layers of wrapping on in-ground trees. I deep muched, made a cage around it with wire, filled the wire cage with leaves and straw around the entire tree, covered the cage in a plastic bag and a second heavy duty tarp. I've also got clay bricks around the base to hold some heat and this should get me through the winter in 6a. I may still have some top kill. Hardy Chicago and Brown Turkey will tolerate zone 7a-6b without too much babying. Celeste probably would too without a full wrap, just a good mulching. Less hardy varieties we just bring into the garage where they will be cold but not froze and leave them be over winter.

Walnuts are slow growers. You are looking at 20+ years to a decent sized tree. Could take up to 15 before you will get nuts from a tree grown from seed. Stick sprouted nuts in pot and keep moist through winter. they grow tap root first so it might be a while before you will see top growth. Plant out in spring. They require a cold period to grow so most of us don't sprout them in fall. Easiest way to deal with walnuts is to put the nut in a protected pot outside and keep moist through winter and come spring nature will take its course as long as a squirrel hasn't hauled it off. Since these have already spouted you are a few months ahead. Acorns are the same way if you get a notion to start an oak tree.

Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptyMon Nov 30, 2020 5:18 pm

That’s what I was hoping, keep them in until spring and then plant them out so they will be a bit more established come spring time.

I don’t think any one looks at Apple pie and think apple trees, same with walnut and coffee cake😂
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptyMon Nov 30, 2020 5:43 pm

Im obsessed with coffee (probably to the point of being a coffee addict) and most people dont know it starts as a berry. Between global warming and disease, coffee trees are at risk of becoming extinct. Also tea grows on trees lol.

Most people here see apple trees and think bears, not pie. You see signs everywhere "free pie apples, trees in the back" also crab apples seem to grow here
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree EmptyMon Nov 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Crazy what the world is coming to! I love coffee but my favourite combo is a hot chocolate and coffee to make a MOCHA😍😍
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Walnut Tree Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walnut Tree   Walnut Tree Empty

Back to top Go down

Walnut Tree

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1