It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? Empty
PostSubject: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 6:02 pm

This is for adult dogs.

I wanted to know how many times you guys let out your huskies to pee not considering their walks.

Mine had an accident today because I forgot to take him out after his first walk and he had held it in for about 8 hours. I initially thought he wasn't learning but now I'm thinking it's because I don't let him out to pee enough.

His schedule is:

7am-wake up, eat,--go for a walk
1pm- pee break
6pm- eat--go for a walk
10pm-pee before bed

When he has had an accident it's usually because I forgot to take him out at the 1pm mark.
How often do you let your dogs out to pee?
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 6:12 pm

Your schedule is okay for a starting point. It also depends on the dog's activity level and how much water they drink. Mine will need to go out 4 or more times in the evening because they are very active and are drinking a lot of water. Have you done bell training or do your dogs have tells that you watch for?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:35 pm

@kavik_the_Havoc made a good suggestion if your dogs aren't vocal about "Daddy, LET ME OUT"!!! Then see if you can introduce them to bell training. A search turns up all kinds of comments about bell training.

My eldest doesn't warn me too well, but I also expect that she doesn't have much of a warning.  My other two will go and stand by the door - which I can see out of the corner of my eye - until I let them out.
(( With the heat we've been having 105°+ the problem is getting them to go out, 'course, when I do it's piddle, "LET ME IN!!"  They have shade and cool rocks under the porch and water on the porch but for some reason they'd rather be in here then out there! ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 11:16 pm

Haha oddly enough he does know how to let me know when he has to go pee. I have never taught him but since he was young he would go up to the door knob and tap it with his muzzle, making a slight sound that I can hear.

But on occasion he would just pee on the same carpet even without letting me know if I don't take him out around 1-2pm.

....But I think I may need to take him out more. I just realized this after asking you all and looking online, because I thought adult dogs can hold in their pee for 6+ hours without needing to be taken out.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 12:21 am

A long, long time ago in a place far, far away I had a black lab (Lady) I was living in Houston and my aunt was living in Lake Charles, La. I needed to go over to help with some legal paperwork and expected it to be a one afternoon trip so, since I expected to be back in 6-8 hours I left Lady in Houston.
Well, as with all things legal I didn't get back that evening, in fact I didn't get back till almost noon the next day. Lady had been trapped in the house for just about 24 hours ... needless to say when I opened the door she was out like a shot! I didn't think she was ever going to stop peeing!!

She knew that it wasn't right to pee in the house and if I'd been there she'd have been out several times ... but she held it till I got home. (( Don't ask what would have happened if I hadn't made it home when I did, I don't even want to think about it! ))

So, yes an adult dog *can* hold it; most easily hold it overnight - something like 6-10 hours? It depends, I think, upon the disapproval they sense when they don't and their willingness to tolerate some discomfort.

I'm also betting that you're missing a cue when he wets on the carpet ...

Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 6:13 pm

That part of the carpet he's peeing on probably needs to be replaced. The smell of his past pee will encourage him to keep using that spot. If he's going there despite being taken out it's likely he just keeps marking the spot to refresh the pee smell.

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 6:32 pm

I have a similar issue with squirt. Sometimes i think its revenge. I dont see her most of the day but from when she wants out at about 6 until i let her out during the evening news, she will scratch the door to let me know she wants out. After her 5ish outside time she wont scratch and she cant seem to make it from 5ish to 8pm without peeing on the floor. But between her last time out around 830 until i let her out in the am no accidents and during the day no accidents.

My others have indoor outdoor access as long as the weather is ok
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 7:18 pm

Kavik_the_Havoc wrote:
That part of the carpet he's peeing on probably needs to be replaced. The smell of his past pee will encourage him to keep using that spot. If he's going there despite being taken out it's likely he just keeps marking the spot to refresh the pee smell.

Your right, I probably scrubbed the smell into the carpet, because he never pees on the hardwood floor just the same carpet.

It’s a shag carpet so I probably need to replace it...Shame it was expensive and really nice Sad
Back to top Go down
dinf22
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 pm

Lostmaniac wrote:
I have a similar issue with squirt. Sometimes i think its revenge. I dont see her most of the day but from when she wants out at about 6 until i let her out during the evening news, she will scratch the door to let me know she wants out. After her 5ish outside time she wont scratch and she cant seem to make it from 5ish to 8pm without peeing on the floor. But between her last time out around 830 until i let her out in the am no accidents and during the day no accidents.

My others have indoor outdoor access as long as the weather is ok

I always get frustrated when I see he has had an accident and feel like he is doing it because he is just too lazy. But soon after I realize how dumb this thought was haha
Back to top Go down
Kavik_the_Havoc
Teenager
Teenager
Kavik_the_Havoc

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 7:22 pm

dinf22 wrote:

Your right, I probably scrubbed the smell into the carpet, because he never pees on the hardwood floor just the same carpet.

It’s a shag carpet so I probably need to replace it...Shame it was expensive and really nice Sad

Yeah...Carpet isn't great with dogs. Once they pee on it the urine never truly comes out and repeat peeing is almost guaranteed. Sometimes the part that is peed on can be cut out and replaced if you don't want to remove the whole carpet. But I always advise getting rid of any and all carpet. Especially with animals. It's just cleaner to have any other kind of flooring.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 9:59 pm

We have wood and vinyl. Got rid of the carpet last year
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 7:46 pm

Our dog easily makes it from 8am to 5pm, even though I work from home...
Even at 5pm, he does not seem urgent and is just walking and sniffing around until he finds the Right Bush.

His schedule is:
7-8am long morning walk+breakfast
1pm lunch
5-6pm long evening walk + dinner
9pm potty outing

There have been times when he fell deeply asleep and didn't want his 9pm outing...and just made it until the next morning. I guess he has an "iron bladder" or something?

Al has a good point about the cues!
Ours is pretty fastidious - if he needs to pee, poo or vomit, he will pace restlessly...Once my dog was pacing restlessly up and down in the front hallway for 20 minutes! I cut off phone call with client and took him out, and he had diarrhea right in the front yard, poor guy. So yours may be giving some signs (pacing? turning? sniffing?) before doing the deed....

But yea, it sounds like your dog may have accepted that part of the carpet as one of the "pee spots". He probably doesn't fully understand that he should always go Outside!

PS We were told by vet to feed multiple small meals a day...he is a bloat/GDV survivor. That's why he has breakfast lunch and dinner! How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? 1f600
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? EmptySat Jun 19, 2021 8:10 pm

Sasha, my old girl, seems to be having trouble knowing when she needs to go - until she has to go. I get very little warning - and a lot of wet spots in the kitchen (Oh, well)

Quite honestly, I often don't see her pacing until it's too late - my fault - and I'm late for supper and she's letting me know it!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?   How often do you let out your Huskies to pee? Empty

Back to top Go down

How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1