It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kavik33
Newborn
Newborn

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? Empty
PostSubject: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 11:38 am

I've been real curious if Kavik (14 weeks old) is possibly a wooly coat husky. How can I tell if he is? He’s so fluffy compared to other huskies I've seen his age.

Parents were both plush and standard coat. Any insight would be awesome! Thanks

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? Bf11cc10
Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? F7542610
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 11:54 am

Oh, I like!!! I you ever decide you can't handle him, I'll help! (( completely non-serious! ))

From what I see definitely a plush but I'm not so sure that I'd go out on a limb and say a wooley. @TwisterII would have a better idea there than I.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kavik33
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 12:51 pm

Haha thanks for the offer! 😉 He’s definitely quite the handful, but already pretty bonded to our family “pack”! Although dog sitting is always on the table 😂

Appreciate the insight! His long guard hairs and ear tufts are quite a bit different then huskies we’ve raised in the past. All said, he’s one of the more adorable puppies I’ve ever been around
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 3:03 pm

I will go out in a limb - with that ear tufting, he's got at least partial wooly gene expression. Look at his legs and tail - if there are long "feathers" there, definitely a wooly.
Back to top Go down
Kavik33
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 4:06 pm

Interesting! Well, with that in mind- I’ll add a complimentary husky butt pic as reference haha. Maybe slight feathering? Can’t say I’ve ever looked for that trait (feathering) or know what the expression of it appears like in a dog!

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? 5eaaf010
Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? 28831710
Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? Cfca5e10
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 5:34 pm

I'm betting better than even odds you have a wooly. A very beautiful wooly btw.

Here's mine at his worst:

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? 20211210

And best

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? Img_0010
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 5:36 pm

Laughing!  I looked and did "A dog butt!?!?! He's camera shy?" before I read your note.  When I refer to feathers on my dogs, it's primarily the hair that grows on the back side of their legs (front and back though mostly on the back)   Feathering, I'm told, can also refer to the extra fluffiness of some Sibes tails ... but they're all fluffy if you ask me!  On your picture of the dogs hind end, the white area is where you'll find most of the feathering.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 01, 2022 7:09 pm

"5) FEATHERED COAT. Dogs with this type of coat have fringes on their ears, legs and tummy. The hair on the rest of their body is usually short and more or less wiry, like the Setter or Cocker Spaniel. You need to brush the fringes out every day using a pin brush and bristle brush."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.ferplast.com/en/types-of-dog-coats/
Back to top Go down
massak
Puppy
Puppy
massak

Male Join date : 2012-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptySun Aug 14, 2022 4:04 pm

looks like a shepard mix, which I think are awesome. I'd say wooly by the looks of it! good luck with that Razz mine is 12 years old and still a pain in the butt to keep from getting matted. Wish I knew the magic secret but the fact he likes to swim when it gets warm and before he sheds just causes mayhem! Smile
Back to top Go down
snowusin7
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptySun Aug 14, 2022 5:56 pm

This is my mostly  black woolly coated Siberian husky  Eros.  You can see the featuring on the back of his legs and his long hair on his tail. Your baby looks like a beautiful  plush coated agouti colored Siberian husky

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? 428410
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyMon Aug 15, 2022 4:04 am

I'm not sure about the agouti part - agouti means that the individual guard hairs have 3 alternating bands of color. This dog is definitively a "dirty face" but that does not imply agouti, an often mistaken belief.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 1:20 am

Squirt looked like that as a puppy. People ask me if shes a keeshond alot. Dna test said 50% sibe 48% village dog (plains/peublo type) 2% unknown. Squirt has feathers and gets matted because she hates being brushed.

Spider is a wooly i think. I just dont know if that applies to a wolfdog of siberian/wolf heritage. I just know i have to bathe the poop off her but often enough im contemplating trimming that area.
Back to top Go down
Kavik33
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 8:28 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone! I often get asked if he’s a mix (malamute, GSD, wolf, etc) but he is actually a purebred. Met the parents and saw their Embark, both were 100% husky. He’s growing fast, hit 32lb at the 4 month mark.

Here’s a pic from this morning:

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? Bbf8e610
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 8:34 pm

That's one handsome dude 😎😎😎
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyTue Aug 16, 2022 11:08 pm

Spider has a coat very much like ami. Shes a very pretty badly bred husky (today shes acting very doggy). Im just not sure what her coat is because she does the shed twice a year like a sibe (wolves blow once a year) and shes a little longer furred even by wolfdog standards based off crosses with grey wolves and she has more arctic heritage then grey and the sibe wooly gene can show up with sibe mixes.
Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? 20211110
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 pm

Though I can't see much of the back of her legs, I'll hazard a guess and say a partially expressed wooly gene. I'm not sure Ami is full on wooly, either. Though his trail and leg feathers are quite something else, his back, sides and belly aren't much more than a rather plush husky. But that may be because he has become much more indoor than when he was younger. The first winter we had him, he was outside all day and slept in an unheated outbuilding at night. He was a veritable butterball of fur that year and his eyelashes were more than an inch long. When he was younger, he really did not want to be in the house ever, now, spring and fall he'll spend a good portion of his days outside but not winter or summer. Most recently, here's not even staying outside in the evening after he's finished with his bone.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyWed Aug 17, 2022 10:28 pm

amymeme wrote:
That's one handsome dude 😎😎😎

Yep, I'll sure agree with that!!!

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? EmptyFri Aug 19, 2022 12:56 pm

snowusin7 wrote:
This is my mostly  black woolly coated Siberian husky  Eros.  You can see the featuring on the back of his legs and his long hair on his tail. Your baby looks like a beautiful  plush coated agouti colored Siberian husky

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? 428410

Eros?!!? From NY, perhaps?!!?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?   Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is our pup Kavik (14 wk) going to be wooly?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1