It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website



 Raisin' some awareness on raisins / grapes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Female Join date : 2015-07-13
Location : Putnam Valley, NY

Raisin' some awareness on raisins / grapes Empty
PostSubject: Raisin' some awareness on raisins / grapes   Raisin' some awareness on raisins / grapes EmptyWed Apr 12, 2023 3:36 am

I'm currently across the country with my husband visiting my parents for 2 weeks. Red is staying with some friends with 2 huskies of their own. She managed to get through the first week without getting into trouble. But this girl is a food ninja and got into some trail mix last night which contained raisins (highly toxic to dogs). 

Thank god my friend caught this early and rushed Red to the ER Vet where they induced vomiting and retrieved 21 raisins. They did a kidney panel and her #'s are good and she looks to be in stable condition. But based on what the doc told me over the phone about this type of food poisoning, I decided to go with the aggressive route of monitoring her in the ER for 48 hrs before discharge. 

Through the 8 years with this ball of crazy, this is the first time she's ingested raisins. I already knew they were toxic to dogs but that was all that I knew. The vet had informed me that they still don't know much about what it is that's actually in grapes that are toxic to dogs and there's been a lot more research into this in the last year. Raisins are more toxic than grapes because they're more concentrated (since the moisture is dehydrated out). He also mentioned that although he was informed by my friends that she ingested about 2 tbsp of trail mix and that he retrieved 21 raisins, he couldn't be 100% certain that they got every single raisin out of her system. That part freaked me out especially, so hence the 48 hr stay at the ER. 

Just wanted to let you all know about the raisin toxicity level in comparison to grape toxicity level in case you didn't know. I always thought they were both equally toxic. Also once grapes are dried up into a raisin, you can't really even tell what size grape it was to begin with since those concord grapes are generally pretty large.

I'm certain Red is pretty upset with having to stay at the ER instead of the comfort of her own bed or our bed. But she still managed to give us heart palpitations across the country. I miss her, I'm pissed at her and I'm also relieved that she's probably going to be ok. For the first time ever, my husband actually said, "She's my baby" in reference to Red 😭. I swear, this girl needs to get a job cause even though we have pet insurance on her, it's still fairly restrictive on what they cover.
Back to top Go down

Raisin' some awareness on raisins / grapes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

» Great way to raise awareness in Miami, Fl
» For sale: handmade animal abuse awareness paracord bracelets and key chains

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-