It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Threw up from walk?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stray
Puppy
Puppy

Threw up from walk? Empty
PostSubject: Threw up from walk?   Threw up from walk? EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 6:54 pm

So we went on a walk for like an hour, few good sprints too, we came back, she drank some water, ate a little chicken, then threw it up.

I realize, she was probably over-heated?

Was like 64F outside, with good amount of wind, just barely warm enough for me to wear only a T-Shirt. Sun was out, but I live north so it's not a terribly hot sun. Is that too much for a husky to walk in for an hour so, with maybe 4-ish minutes of running/sprinting?

Or was she just so thirsty afterwards that she drank way too much water way too fast when we got back home? Should I be taking a portable water bowl to give her water half-way through an hour walk or something?

She also this time managed to have a few laps of sea water from the ocean, which I know is bad, but I knew she had to attempt it to know its bad.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Threw up from walk?   Threw up from walk? EmptyFri Apr 28, 2023 10:32 am

At 64° I'm not wearing just a T-shirt. We've been in the 80's for the past week or so. Gonna have a cold front come through that's gonna take our daytime high down to the mid 70's ...

Of all the things you mentioned, I'm going to pick on two. First, drinking from the ocean can bring all kinds of bad things. Dogs may enjoy a good swim but drinking isn't good.
The second is "we came back, she drank some water, ate a little chicken, then threw it up" which sounds like there wasn't a lot of down time in there. Coming in from a walk, I'd expect her to get a drink. Adding a meal on top of that, I'd expect her to be uncomfortable a least or "up chucky" at worst.

If I remember where you are correctly, I wouldn't be worrying about carrying water just yet; when it gets warmer or the walks get longer then it's a good consideration.

(( and I just got up so if this doesn't make a lot of sense ... ))

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
stray
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Threw up from walk?   Threw up from walk? EmptyFri Apr 28, 2023 3:33 pm

how long should you wait after walks to feed?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Threw up from walk?   Threw up from walk? EmptyFri Apr 28, 2023 3:47 pm

Since my pups get fed in the evening, that's a difficult question for me to answer. But ... of course ... I think I'd give it 15 minutes. That gives them a chance to cool down and settle.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Threw up from walk?   Threw up from walk? EmptySat Apr 29, 2023 11:56 pm

Every time squirt drinks from the hotsprings then drinks a bunch of water she pukes. Then she has diarrhea.

And at 64, im turning the ac on and my dogs think they are going to die from the heat. They will adjust. Like here yesterday started at 10 degrees and snowing and ended at 59 and sunny, today the am was low 20s and we hit 71. Its crazy what they get used too.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Threw up from walk?   Threw up from walk? EmptyMon May 01, 2023 9:47 am

Unless it's pretty warm, like over 75, or you are going a pretty decent distance, 6+ miles, then I wouldn't bother to carry water. More than likely this incident is tied to a combination of things. The sea water probably started it and then some dogs try to drink too fast and will get a bunch of air pulled in during the drink and then they will puke. I had a GSD mix that would constantly chug water then a few minutes later puke it back up. I would give him small amounts of water at a time and make him wait between drinks.

A dog should not exercise very strenuously 30 minutes after a meal. When a dog has been worked out you should wait 30 minutes before offering a meal. Treats are fine within moderation. If a dog is panting very hard, as in after a hard sprinting session you should give them a moment to settle before offering water to avoid the excess air that will come in while trying to drink and still catch their breath. Offer water in small amounts. I actually have have a special drinking bottle that will only allow small batches at a time that has worked well for mine. Dogs need to be conditioned for things the same as people. Walking with some interval sprints isn't something I would be concerned about feeding after, just make sure to give a little time after a sprint before giving water to mitigate excessive air. If you start running longer distances then you need to be more mindful about waiting to feed a meal. I'm working my dog up to half marathon distance running. I've not carried water with me on any of our 6 mile runs in the 70s yet though summer is on the way and I will start needing to.

Bottle I have for reference. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FRV9XSF/ref=twister_B0B6BBCWCW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

PostSubject: Re: Threw up from walk?   Threw up from walk? Empty

Back to top Go down

Threw up from walk?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1